Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

So I began IB1 a few months back, and it's been pretty challenging. Unfortunately, the standards we have in our school are either messed up or non-existent, so I'd like to find out a bit on how to judge my actual grades to see how worried I should be.

I'm a Science Stream student, taking Chemistry, Physics, and English A HL, with Math, World Religions, and Arabic A SL. My average for the first semester was a 36/42, with a 6 in every subject barring a 7 in World Religions and a 5 in Chemistry. Fortunately though, my total during the second examination this semester was a 40, with 7's in everything but a 5 in Chemistry. Our mid-terms, however, ended up with me getting a 35/42 with two 5's in Chem and Physics (Which were only 2-3 points away from a 6).

I understand that it's not terrible, but I know they're not perfect. I want to know how colleges will look at junior grades. Are they held to a higher standard than the Externals? I spent most of my time in an IG-ish system, so I have trouble understanding how the grades are judged. A '5' is rated by the IBO as 'good', but my teachers tell me that it's not so great. Some students, however, tell me that it's not bad. My counsellor refuses to answer my question unless I specify which college's perspective I'm looking at them from. So, judging from your own personal perspective, what would be considered good for you?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I believe that a 6 in HL Chemistry would suffice for all universities. However, if you're planning to study anything related to Chemistry at university, you most likely are going to need to pull your weight as the majority look for at least a 6 in HL Chemistry if willing to take on any Chemistry related courses such as Medicine or Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medukal)
    I believe that a 6 in HL Chemistry would suffice for all universities. However, if you're planning to study anything related to Chemistry at university, you most likely are going to need to pull your weight as the majority look for at least a 6 in HL Chemistry if willing to take on any Chemistry related courses such as Medicine or Engineering.
    I'm not planning to take anything relating to Chemistry in college, thankfully. However, overall, what do you think? I'm not exactly sure what I should think at this point. Is a 36 good for first Semester IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saladlover)
    I'm not planning to take anything relating to Chemistry in college, thankfully. However, overall, what do you think? I'm not exactly sure what I should think at this point. Is a 36 good for first Semester IB?
    First semester doesn't really signify anything; it's only there to help universities see where you stand academically.

Last year, I had a friend who's predicted grade was a 24 and then got a 39 for his final IBDP mark. I also know of someone else who was predicted a 40 and ended up getting a 28. To put it bluntly, the predicted mark does boost your chances into getting in a better university however it's also there to give you a reality check and show you where you as a student stand so you can improve later on.

I would also like to ask; how hard is HL English? i've been advised to take it as i'm currently getting straight 7s in the standard level course. If you may elaborate on how you were able to achieve a 7, i'd highly appreciate that.

Wish you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medukal)
    First semester doesn't really signify anything; it's only there to help universities see where you stand academically.

Last year, I had a friend who's predicted grade was a 24 and then got a 39 for his final IBDP mark. I also know of someone else who was predicted a 40 and ended up getting a 28. To put it bluntly, the predicted mark does boost your chances into getting in a better university however it's also there to give you a reality check and show you where you as a student stand so you can improve later on.

I would also like to ask; how hard is HL English? i've been advised to take it as i'm currently getting straight 7s in the standard level course. If you may elaborate on how you were able to achieve a 7, i'd highly appreciate that.

Wish you all the best!
    Hello!

Thanks for the reply,

From what I've seen, there's a pretty big jump between HL and SL in terms of grading and requirements. I'm taking English A1 HL, which requires a compare and contrast between two texts on paper 1, as opposed to an analysis on only one. It's not as challenging as the sciences, but it does require you to remain laser-focused during the examinations. Since the course asks you to compare two paper 1 texts, you're going to find yourself slightly strapped for time. However, other than that, I find that as long as you can effectively analyse both texts, the only extra requirement that HL presents, barring the time-management skills, is to link the two between each other. In addition to ideological differences, you're required to compare and contrast tone, structure, mood, purpose and audience. It seems relatively simple, but, quoting my English teacher, 'most English A students miss out most on the compare and contrast part, but do well on the individual analysis'. I basically developed a habit of writing a quick outline after every exam, focusing on the structure, tone, and stylistic devices first, then contrasting the purpose, audience, and other differences. It's really mostly time management. At least, that's how I view it. Though, this is only my first year, I suggest you ask someone a bit more experienced.

Now, I can understand that Junior grades pale in comparison to the Externals, but generally speaking, what's the value of a 36/42? Would you consider it 'good'?

ReputationRep:
    I'm willing to study medicine at Oxford; therefore a 36 won't quite do it for me. However, if you're willing to work twice as harder this term and know for a certain that you can get all three extra bonus points with ease. You sir, have got the 40+ in the bag. All in all, a 36 is a great mark. You should seriously be proud.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.