Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So i've been with my boyfriend for just over 2 and a half years (three years in june) and he's my first relationship. I love him to absolute pieces and can't imagine a life without him.
    I moved to Uni in September (150 miles distance) and that's been hard but we were making it work and it was okay. Either he'll come up to see me or i'll go home every other week
    Now here's my issue I work on a casual basis for the uni and also work a few nights a week. But now i've been offered a part time job (three days a week) which takes up the rest of my week and he works weekends =/ Which means i'll be effectively studying full time and working 2 and a half jobs (i'm not counting the casual staff as full work cause it's casual so i work when i'm free) and attempting to see him at the same time.

I suffer from Depression and eating issues and struggle to sleep (hence why i applied for night jobs, i figured if i can't sleep i might as well do something else) and he's the only one who's been there for me 100%. If i can't see him i'll end up getting a hell of a lot worse =/
    I've been keeping up with my work okay so that's not a problem and he helps me with it when he comes up

Any advice on how we can see each other more?
    Or maximise the time we have together?
    Because on the rare chance I do get a day off i'm so completely exhausted that going out for the day just tires me out.....

ReputationRep:
    It's not going to work. Long distance never works, if you're not together every day then there's no point. It'll be less painful and you'll be able to cope better if you're not 'with' him anymore. Find someone else, you'll be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illegal Algebra)
    It's not going to work. Long distance never works, if you're not together every day then there's no point. It'll be less painful and you'll be able to cope better if you're not 'with' him anymore. Find someone else, you'll be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that what you're going to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Skype if you can't travel the 150 miles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afghan Warrior)
    Is that what you're going to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd never do that babe, I love you, I want us to always be together. I can't live without you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing he is working or studying during the week too?

If there are reasons he has to be where he is, and you have to be where you are for every day of the week - then no, you can't see each other. You'll have to just Skype, send texts and make phone calls as and when you can. Then hopefully you could spend several weeks together during holidays.

I would think about what you really need and want though. If this was me, I would question whether I needed to work that many jobs especially considering my mental health. Would falling ill be worth it for £80 a week extra or whatever it is you would get? It makes sense to get as much experience as you can, but the key part is 'as you can'. Don't push yourself further than you can comfortably go during important formative years. What would be the point in having money if you're miserable/unwell/isolated/begin to struggle in your degree?

(Original post by Ribbits)
    I'm guessing he is working or studying during the week too?

If there are reasons he has to be where he is, and you have to be where you are for every day of the week - then no, you can't see each other. You'll have to just Skype, send texts and make phone calls as and when you can. Then hopefully you could spend several weeks together during holidays.

I would think about what you really need and want though. If this was me, I would question whether I needed to work that many jobs especially considering my mental health. Would falling ill be worth it for £80 a week extra or whatever it is you would get? It makes sense to get as much experience as you can, but the key part is 'as you can'. Don't push yourself further than you can comfortably go during important formative years. What would be the point in having money if you're miserable/unwell/isolated/begin to struggle in your degree?
    No he's free during the week cause he does an online course,
    I was ill before i got to uni but i really need the money and i'm too scared to ask my parents for money (They're already paying for all my food and giving me 200 a month but most of that goes in my savings account)

I spose I'm doing it because I want to go into publishing and that's really hard to break into, so I feel like I need the job I have in Marketing and Sales =/ and the night one is purely because I can never sleep =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was ill before i got to uni but i really need the money and i'm too scared to ask my parents for money (They're already paying for all my food and giving me 200 a month but most of that goes in my savings account)

I spose I'm doing it because I want to go into publishing and that's really hard to break into, so I feel like I need the job I have in Marketing and Sales =/ and the night one is purely because I can never sleep =/
    You don't need the money if you can afford to put £200 a month into a savings account.

Don't take on all the work if you want more of an opportunity to see your boyfriend. You can obviously afford not to take the extra job.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of one of the jobs. The poster above is right, you can always use your savings if you run out of money aswell
    Long distance can work, but you need to see one another. I saw my bf every 3 months and it was difficult but we got through it.
    Not only are you working so hard you never see your bf, but you could make yourself ill with the amount of work you do. You need to give yourself a break otherwise you'll just burn out... Good luck xx

Edit: if he's free during the week can he not come to you and then spend a week with you? You'll be at work some of the time, but he'll be there when you get back and you can spend some time together that way. You don't have to go out places, staying in and just being with one another is good too x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Ah, well, if it is a priority for you related to your career choice then I understand.
    Would he not want to travel to be with you during the week sometimes? You might have to go to lectures/work, but he could bring his laptop with him? My partner and I still liked to see each other even when we had to do things separately for part of the day.
    Maybe you could suggest it and see how he feels too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.