Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS Lit Aspects of Narrative - I keep getting worse! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm in my AS year, studying Gatsby. I'm getting really stressed out as every time I look to do better in my work I actually do worse. I've looked everything up online and spent hours scouring websites, but it seems I don't fully understand the idea behind the essay.

Can someone explain to me what this means:

'evaluation of how theauthor’s narrative methodsworks'

My marks are varying between 11-15 on the chapter essays, discussing how the author tells the story.

Also, I have a mock tomorrow on Chapter 9, so any advice for that would be great.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Could I suggest writing about how the writer's methods contribute to the entire story?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteMcD)
    Hey,

I'm in my AS year, studying Gatsby. I'm getting really stressed out as every time I look to do better in my work I actually do worse. I've looked everything up online and spent hours scouring websites, but it seems I don't fully understand the idea behind the essay.

Can someone explain to me what this means:

'evaluation of how theauthor’s narrative methodsworks'

My marks are varying between 11-15 on the chapter essays, discussing how the author tells the story.

Also, I have a mock tomorrow on Chapter 9, so any advice for that would be great.

Thanks
    With this paper, we're always told that it's important that you understand the difference between 'narrative' and 'story'. A story is what is being told and the narrative is how they're being told.

To tell a particular story, let's say your day yesterday, you need to consider: how you're going to tell it (are you going to say 'I did this' or tell it from an extradiegetic narrator's perspective?); where you're going to set the story (are you going to tell us what you did at home or maybe walking down the street); are you going to introduce any other people (if so, HOW?); are you going to tell us what happened chronologically; what are you going to tell us and what aren't you going to tell us?

Now, these are all the main building blocks of narrative - the things that a writer needs to consider - and are examples of what you could write about. For example, in chapter 4 of TGG, you could write about how the fresh openness of New York juxtaposes the confined speakeasy and how that suggests the multi-faceted nature of Gatsby.

It's important, however, that whatever you talk about, you link it to the plot and how it helps propel the plot. Think about where these narrative techniques are found and what proceeds and comes before them - how does this add to their significance of telling the story?

I hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I sat this exam last year and for Section A of the paper the question will always be something like "How does F.Scott Fitzgerald tell the story in Chapter ...'. For this the exam assesses Form, Structure and Language and a good way to make sure that you cover these is to follow this structure.

Start by defining the form of the novel and then "pin down" what happens in that chapter briefly.
    Then move on to the narrative perspective and what this does for the telling of the story. For example, Nick's 1st person narrative is unreliable .... this therefore leads to ...
    After this think about structure and how this chapter reads
    Then look at the aspects of narrative which are significant in this chapter.

Hope this helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.