Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im in crises ever since I was 17 I wanted to be a doctor but I choose the wrong subjects im 19 now finnished high school. Deeply regret not choosing the right subjects. If I want to be a medic I would have to regress mylife back to high school and be in a class with 17yr olds. And start medicine when im 22 or I could just study anything in university for 4yrs and move on (moms advice) what would you do ? Im crying while texting this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi you In my country one can read up on a subject in either 8-12 weeks or in a year - does your country (UK?) offer similar supplement courses? If so, then you may only need to study in a gap year (or have a busy summer vacation). Hope this all works out for you^^

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you study something else like Chemistry or Biomedical Sciences and reapply once you graduate for post-graduate medicine? I know lots of people doing that.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter how old you are. If you want to do it you can! I agree with saiduc. It will also look good when you apply for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise aiming for GEM at this stage, simply because it's even more competitive than undergrad medical courses. It's a great choice if you've realised you want to do Medicine *while you're already studying for another degree*, but it doesn't really make sense to go that way about it at your stage.

I didn't have the right A-levels either. So I went back to my old secondary school at the age of 20 to do Biology and Chemistry (and yes, all my classmates were 16-17), and then even went on to do another degree before I started Medicine. I used a lot of that time to work as an auxiliary nurse, which was valuable work experience and no doubt helped my application, as well as being pretty decent money (I'd work nights and/or weekends and then go to lessons in the day).

You post quite a lot of these threads, but I really think you're worrying about nothing. Lots of people don't start Medicine until their 20s - there are about 30 graduates in my year (so all aged at least 21 by the time they started Medicine; several older than that), and lots of people took one or two gap years, so you'd barely be any older than them. Seriously, 22 is not old, nor is it a 'waste' of your 20s to spend it in university as per your other thread; on the contrary, most people really enjoy themselves. Just do the A-levels at college/school/night school/whatever, get some work experience, and go for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.