Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi due to the A levels i am studying only certain unis will allow to study biochemistry or biological chemistry without foundation year.

I will be able to study:
    Biochemistry (c700) University of Wolverhampton Without foundation year
    Biochemistry (c700) at university of keele with foundation year
    Biological chemistry (c720) At aston university with foundation year

I am confused because of the course codes c700 and c720, whats the difference between biological chemistry and biochemistry and is one valued more than the other?

Thanks for all your help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Biological chemistry is more chemistry based. Biochemistry can be skewed either which way depending on your interests and the uni. My biochem course was 50% bio, 50% chem in the first year, slightly more bio than chem in the second year and an almost free choice of bio modules but slightly limited choice of chem modules in the third year and I did a bio project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Biological chemistry is more chemistry based. Biochemistry can be skewed either which way depending on your interests and the uni. My biochem course was 50% bio, 50% chem in the first year, slightly more bio than chem in the second year and an almost free choice of bio modules but slightly limited choice of chem modules in the third year and I did a bio project.
    Not really i was looking at biological chemistry at aston than i compared the units to university of Birminghams biochemistry course and 90-95% of the units are the same the only difference was in the second year there was 1 or two extra units and the same with the third year.

All i want to know is by doing biological chemistry will i be disadvantaged to someone who has a biochemistry degree and will i be able to do same jobs.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ali328)
    Not really i was looking at biological chemistry at aston than i compared the units to university of Birminghams biochemistry course and 90-95% of the units are the same the only difference was in the second year there was 1 or two extra units and the same with the third year.

All i want to know is by doing biological chemistry will i be disadvantaged to someone who has a biochemistry degree and will i be able to do same jobs.
    It might just be that Birmingham's biochem course is more chemistry based but traditionally biological chemistry is the study of chemistry with a focus on biological reactions.

To answer your job related question, if the modules are similar then you'll be able to do similar jobs.

Quote if you want a reply!
    BSc Biochemistry with a year in industry, University of York
    PhD in molecular biology, Queen Mary University of London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It might just be that Birmingham's biochem course is more chemistry based but traditionally biological chemistry is the study of chemistry with a focus on biological reactions.

To answer your job related question, if the modules are similar then you'll be able to do similar jobs.

Quote if you want a reply!
    BSc Biochemistry with a year in industry, University of York
    PhD in molecular biology, Queen Mary University of London
    So what course should i pick to do then biological chemistry, biochemistry or does it not matter.

My plan is do study biochemistry or biological chem then do a masters in Molecular biotechnology or Stem cells and regenerative medicine.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi due to the A levels i am studying only certain unis will allow to study biochemistry or biological chemistry without foundation year.

I will be able to study:
    Biochemistry (c700) University of Wolverhampton Without foundation year
    Biochemistry (c700) at university of keele with foundation year
    Biological chemistry (c720) At aston university with foundation year

I am confused because of the course codes c700 and c720, whats the difference between biological chemistry and biochemistry and is one valued more than the other?

Thanks for all your help
    Is there any particular reason you are against doing a foundation year? Yes, it will be another year at university, but could enable you to attend a much higher ranked university (with correspondingly better job prospects) afterwards.

The courses may be roughly similar tbh - if you have looked in detail at the modules and they are pretty much the same then there may be very little difference. From my experience, Biological Chemistry is more chemistry focused - so you may be looking at protein structures, drug structures and interactions, etc. but Biochemistry may require slightly less detailed knowledge on the chemical structures of things, but more information on the overall effects on the body/ complex reaction pathways or something... If you are interested in both biology and chemistry you would probably enjoy both courses, and they would have broadly similar job prospects, particularly if you are keen to do a masters afterwards once you have discovered what particular areas of the subjects you enjoy the most.

If you can't decide based on the courses, then consider which university you prefer - have you had the opportunity to visit them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Is there any particular reason you are against doing a foundation year? Yes, it will be another year at university, but could enable you to attend a much higher ranked university (with correspondingly better job prospects) afterwards.

The courses may be roughly similar tbh - if you have looked in detail at the modules and they are pretty much the same then there may be very little difference. From my experience, Biological Chemistry is more chemistry focused - so you may be looking at protein structures, drug structures and interactions, etc. but Biochemistry may require slightly less detailed knowledge on the chemical structures of things, but more information on the overall effects on the body/ complex reaction pathways or something... If you are interested in both biology and chemistry you would probably enjoy both courses, and they would have broadly similar job prospects, particularly if you are keen to do a masters afterwards once you have discovered what particular areas of the subjects you enjoy the most.

If you can't decide based on the courses, then consider which university you prefer - have you had the opportunity to visit them?

I am not against a foundation year at all; i was just listing the universities i will be able to go to. I cant make my mind up on what to do i can go to Aston university, which is ranked 24th in the table overall and study biological chemistry with foundation year or go to wolves and study biochemistry without foundation year however it is not a ranked university.

I also have the university of keele and Worcester as options. Keele is with foundation and Worcester may be without a foundation year. I have not heard back from them yet.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    So what course should i pick to do then biological chemistry, biochemistry or does it not matter.

My plan is do study biochemistry or biological chem then do a masters in Molecular biotechnology or Stem cells and regenerative medicine.
    If the modules are similar then it doesn't matter
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am not against a foundation year at all; i was just listing the universities i will be able to go to. I cant make my mind up on what to do i can go to Aston university, which is ranked 24th in the table overall and study biological chemistry with foundation year or go to wolves and study biochemistry without foundation year however it is not a ranked university.

I also have the university of keele and Worcester as options. Keele is with foundation and Worcester may be without a foundation year. I have not heard back from them yet.
    Personally, I can only suggest visiting the universities or trying to chat to some current students to see if you would enjoy being there If the foundation year doesn't bother you too much it would probably be worth doing - but not essential as you've mentioned several other unis you could get into. Just bear in mind things like the job prospects - these statistics should be published somewhere on each university's website; how much you like the uni (you've got to live there for at least three years); whether you enjoy the course; particular features of the course (e.g. year abroad, option to pick modules from other courses of interest such as languages, placement year); etc.

It might be worth talking to a careers/ UCAS adviser at your school for some help?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.