Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new to TSR and was just looking for some advice on which IB subjects to take. I am currently in year 11 and will be sitting my GCSE's this summer.
    Having just finished my mocks, I am predicted straight A*s in English Lang and Lit, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, History, Latin and Ancient Greek.

At the moment, I am considering the following subjects:

English (HL)
    Maths (SL)
    Biology (SL)
    History (HL)
    French (HL or SL)
    Global politics (HL or SL)
    Latin (SL or HL)

I was just wondering if anyone could give me guidance on which subjects and levels would be best, bearing in mind that I am considering studying History, Politics or English at university, ideally Oxbridge and possibly in the US.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend you take:

History HL
    Global Politics HL
    English HL
    French SL
    Biology SL
    Math SL

These subjects aren't that hard to score 7s in and are also highly esteemed.

Wish you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend:

Group 1 - English HL
    Group 2 - Latin/French HL
    Group 3 - History HL
    Group 4 - SL Maths
    Group 5 - SL Biology
    Group 6/Electives - SL Global Politics

For Oxbridge, doing HL Global Politics will not get you far because it is considered a soft subject so I recommend you do it as an SL subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akbar1)
    I would recommend:

Group 1 - English HL
    Group 2 - Latin/French HL
    Group 3 - History HL
    Group 4 - SL Maths
    Group 5 - SL Biology
    Group 6/Electives - SL Global Politics

For Oxbridge, doing HL Global Politics will not get you far because it is considered a soft subject so I recommend you do it as an SL subject.
    My school has been piloting global politics - I can assure you that it isn't ''soft''! Soft subjects are ITGS, Sports science, ESS, maths studies, B&M, group 6 subjects etc. Politics, yes, isn't an traditional academic subject but it isn't not preferred by universities. Plus, OP if you take higher level English literature and history, you can definitely take a less academic subject as your third higher level, it won't affect your chances so long as you don't take any of the ''soft'' subjects I mentioned above. Recommend this subject combination:

Global Politics HL
    English HL
    History HL
    Maths SL
    French/Latin SL (up to you - pick the one you enjoy more? the one you find easier?)
    Biology SL - good choice, its really easy

*You should be aware that American universities could care less about your subject combination - they want to see that you're taking the most rigorous course load and you satisfy that requirement by taking the IB diploma programme. You'll need to get a really high predicted score and you'll need high internal & external grades (from Year 10-first term of Year 13), along with great SAT I/II scores and amazing extracurriculars/essays/recommendations to stand a chance of being accepted to American unis that are of the same caliber as Oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you so much for your replies!
    I think I will probably go with French over Latin - I enjoy both a lot but I think I will regret giving up my only modern foreign language.
    I'm still a bit torn between HL French and Global Politics, as I am not sure what people tend to think about GP but I am worried that French will be very challenging, as I think the study of literature is involved...
    I guess I will continue to deliberate between them and hopefully reach a conclusion soon enough. I have also heard that sometimes people do 4 HL subjects and then later drop one to SL - would this be a good idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    My school has been piloting global politics - I can assure you that it isn't ''soft''! Soft subjects are ITGS, Sports science, ESS, maths studies, B&M, group 6 subjects etc. Politics, yes, isn't an traditional academic subject but it isn't not preferred by universities.
    History and Theory of Knowledge already cover areas of politics and develop skills in analysis as well as research/application of facts. If you want to further your awareness of politics, doing Model United Nations (MUN) can help. So what would be the benefit of doing "Global Politics" as an HL subject, you would be better of doing it as an SL subject. And, besides aren't pilot subjects only offered at SL in IB?

In addition, Cambridge considers the subject "Government & Politics" to be a subject of "more limited suitability." Source: http://trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-lev...t-combinations

Whilst I do agree on ITGS, B&M, ESS, etc as being soft subjects, I do disagree on considering group 6 subjects as soft subjects.

ReputationRep:
    History and Theory of Knowledge already cover areas of politics and develop skills in analysis as well as research/application of facts. If you want to further your awareness of politics, doing Model United Nations (MUN) can help. So what would be the benefit of doing "Global Politics" as an HL subject, you would be better of doing it as an SL subject. And, besides aren't pilot subjects only offered at SL in IB?

In addition, Cambridge considers the subject "Government & Politics" to be a subject of "more limited suitability." Source: http://trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-lev...t-combinations

Whilst I do agree on ITGS, B&M, ESS, etc as being soft subjects, I do disagree on considering group 6 subjects as soft subjects.
    The benefit of the OP taking global politics at higher level is the satisfaction he/she would receive from taking the course and the knowledge they'd gain that would likely further increase their interest in the subject matter. You shouldn't only choose subjects according to what universities would like to see you took, you should give yourself the opportunity to take a subject that'll allow you to explore your interests if your other subjects satisfy the entry requirements!

I'm not sure about whether pilot courses are only offered as standard level subjects - global politics is offered at SL and HL, it might be the exception as sports science (another pilot subject my school offers) and other pilot courses are SL only subjects.

I wasn't stating my opinion when I said that group 6 subjects are ''soft'', I was stating that universities see them as soft and they do. With that being said, I am well aware of the sheer difficulty of those group 6 subjects and how high their workloads are!

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't only choose subjects according to what universities would like to see you took, you should give yourself the opportunity to take a subject that'll allow you to explore your interests if your other subjects satisfy the entry requirements!
    Well Global Politics especially at HL would be suitable if you were aspiring to go to the US or some UK universities. With that said there are some universities, mainly in the UK, that are less willing to provide applicants an offer on the basis of taking Global Politics at HL. Either the university can make the application unsuccessful or wait until the admissions team have review the other applications.

I was stating that universities see them as soft and they do. With that being said, I am well aware of the sheer difficulty of those group 6 subjects and how high their workloads are!
    There are a lot of respected and well established universities (i.e. Oxbridge) that respect group 6 subjects, in particular, music, visual arts and theatre. Taking a group 6 subject demonstrates confidence, talent and creativity.

In spite of this, it really annoys me seeing students get offers for competitive courses with what I regard to be soft subjects at HL. In my school a student took HL ITGS and now studies medicine at the University of Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Well Global Politics especially at HL would be suitable if you were aspiring to go to the US or some UK universities. With that said there are some universities, mainly in the UK, that are less willing to provide applicants an offer on the basis of taking Global Politics at HL. Either the university can make the application unsuccessful or wait until the admissions team have review the other applications.
    I guess, but if the OP wants to take global politics and would prefer not to take another subject in lieu of it, he/she shouldn't hesitate to. I know of people that got into law at Oxford with psychology HL - regarded as ''soft''. They honestly won't reject an applicant based on the fact that they took one weaker higher level subjects (List B of the link you provided) if they meet the entry requirements and do well on their interview. However, it wouldn't hurt for the OP to take a 3rd respected higher level that they're equally interested in!

ReputationRep:

There are a lot of respected and well established universities (i.e. Oxbridge) that respect group 6 subjects, in particular, music, visual arts and theatre. Taking a group 6 subject demonstrates confidence, talent and creativity.

In spite of this, it really annoys me seeing students get offers for competitive courses with what I regard to be soft subjects at HL. In my school a student took HL ITGS and now studies medicine at the University of Edinburgh.
    This is exactly my problem - because I love history and am interested in Politics, I think I would really enjoy it but I guess I could further explore this interest in my spare time and just take it to SL instead of HL (which my school does offer). I would like to do it but am concerned that I would be a less appealing applicant for prestigious universities, in which I case it would probably best to do Latin/French to HL instead. I enjoy all of my subjects so I think I would be happy whatever I choose, I just thought that GP would be particularly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    he/she shouldn't hesitate to.
    It's she btw 😉

However, it wouldn't hurt for the OP to take a 3rd respected higher level that they're equally interested in!
    So do you think Latin/French would be more respected by universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AVW0403)
    It's she btw

So do you think Latin/French would be more respected by universities?
    Yes, languages are more respected by universities - they are listed on the Cambridge website as ''generally suitable arts a levels'' i.e. they're among the most respected arts subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, languages are more respected by universities - they are listed on the Cambridge website as ''generally suitable arts a levels'' i.e. they're among the most respected arts subjects.
    I think that I should probably stick with a language then and drop GP down to a SL - it will probably be more useful in the future anyway and harder to study outside of the classroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AVW0403)
    I think that I should probably stick with a language then and drop GP down to a SL - it will probably be more useful in the future anyway and harder to study outside of the classroom.
    Yah I agree, do that!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.