Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I am in Year 11 and we have our A-level choices coming up soon.
    I am pretty certain about my first 3 choices:
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Biology
    I was thinking of choosing either Physics or Geography as my fourth A-level. The situation is that I find physics relatively easy compared to Geography. However, the teachers at my school who teach Physics aren't pretty awful compared to the ones who teach Geography.
    So I was wondering which one to do, considering that I want to go into the medical route.

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadsonK)
    Hi. I am in Year 11 and we have our A-level choices coming up soon.
    I am pretty certain about my first 3 choices:
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Biology
    I was thinking of choosing either Physics or Geography as my fourth A-level. The situation is that I find physics relatively easy compared to Geography. However, the teachers at my school who teach Physics aren't pretty awful compared to the ones who teach Geography.
    So I was wondering which one to do, considering that I want to go into the medical route.

Thanks for your help
    1. In terms of medicine, I don't think your choice should particularly matter seeing as you have a strong biology/chemistry/maths combination, but maybe look at a few unis that you might consider applying to for their entrance requirements just in case - I doubt you'd need Physics anywhere though.

2. Teachers aren't so great for Physics - okay this could cause a problem, but maybe not? As you're taking Maths I'd recommend mechanics to go with Physics, but if you're good at Physics (you said you find it easy so I assume so) and you want to do it you can deal with bad teachers if you have to - I have, and it's relatively easy to find all the information you need to know through revision guides, the internet and what you get in lessons (compared to, say, Chemistry or Maths, where bad teaching would probably cause more problems). The EMPA or whatever form of coursework you do will be a factor though, bad teaching often means bad preparation for this so if you do take Physics and have teacher problems, make sure you get that sorted.

However if you think the teaching might affect you and you don't have a strong preference, Geography is possibly a good idea. Geography is more essay based obviously, so think about whether that would suit you more.

In the end, doing a subject you don't like probably won't work out that well, but bad teachers can also put you off a subject a bit and make it hard to want to go to the lessons. It comes down to picking a subject you like and think you'll do well in
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Your first three a-levels meet the requirements for all universities. UCL is the only university to express preference for a 'contrasting subject', though its not a requirement.

Physics will have some overlap with chemistry and maths, in terms of the type of work thinking required if nothing else.

You need AAA for medicine. I would do whichever combination will get you that, bearing in mind enjoyment is a part of that as well as raw aptitude.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice. Really Appreciated. Any advice from those who have taken geography or physics for a level and are also planning to medicine is also appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    1. In terms of medicine, I don't think your choice should particularly matter seeing as you have a strong biology/chemistry/maths combination, but maybe look at a few unis that you might consider applying to for their entrance requirements just in case - I doubt you'd need Physics anywhere though.

2. Teachers aren't so great for Physics - okay this could cause a problem, but maybe not? As you're taking Maths I'd recommend mechanics to go with Physics, but if you're good at Physics (you said you find it easy so I assume so) and you want to do it you can deal with bad teachers if you have to - I have, and it's relatively easy to find all the information you need to know through revision guides, the internet and what you get in lessons (compared to, say, Chemistry or Maths, where bad teaching would probably cause more problems). The EMPA or whatever form of coursework you do will be a factor though, bad teaching often means bad preparation for this so if you do take Physics and have teacher problems, make sure you get that sorted.

However if you think the teaching might affect you and you don't have a strong preference, Geography is possibly a good idea. Geography is more essay based obviously, so think about whether that would suit you more.

In the end, doing a subject you don't like probably won't work out that well, but bad teachers can also put you off a subject a bit and make it hard to want to go to the lessons. It comes down to picking a subject you like and think you'll do well in
    Thanks for your time. Great Advice

ReputationRep:
    I am doing geography AS
    A lot to remember but relatively straightforward and very low grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubwayLover1)
    I am doing geography AS
    A lot to remember but relatively straightforward and very low grade boundaries
    Thanks for your advice.
    Are most of the old topics mainly GCSE terminology. How much of a 'leap' is there from gcse to a levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadsonK)
    Thanks for your advice.
    Are most of the old topics mainly GCSE terminology. How much of a 'leap' is there from gcse to a levels
    You do 4 topics
    Three Of the topics i did at gcse and the jump is fine (just a bit more detail). If you havent done the topic before it requires more work but still not that bad

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.