Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I/How to tell me therapist about these things? watch

Announcements

I've been seeing my therapist for about 4-5 months now about my anxiety. I've gotten so much better to the point where we were planning on finishing in 4 weeks time (we are spacing out meetings so I have 2 meetings left)...

But recently I think I've stared to identify bad things in terms of eating... lowering my calorie intake by a bit, obesessively counting calories, I keep increasing my excersize and trying to loose weight even though my BMI (~16? last time I weight myself after dinner I was at a BMI of 16) is "underweight". I just want to be thinner. Like, I don't look skinny. I look the same as I did at BMI 18.2. I still have a belly that sticks out and thick thighs and my bum is still too big. I don't want to be all skin and bones but I just want to lose more weight and I've been doing this for a while now, like 7 months and I've lost around 6kg I think (so not an insanely dramatic amount I don't think)?

It wasn't so bad before but I think something must have triggered me to suddenly go into this obsessive state over the last month or so and I can't stop thinking about what I should do to keep loosing weight, like I will be in class and suddenly I'll think "how many calories have I eaten today? How much excersize do I need to do to loose more weight?" every other minute of every day. I also seem to be getting increasingly emotional whenever I feel like I've gained weight...

When I put it like that it sounds like I should tell my therapist... but at the same time, like... I still eat 1000 calories a day and I still have my period and I don't take laxatives and don't think I'm fat or anything, just a little chubby, especially around my belly area. So I'm sure I don't have annorexia or anything.

I don't even know if it's worth mentioning...

And every time I think about telling her, I just don't know how. How do I bring it up? How do I talk about it without making it sound like I'm overexaggerating things? Is it even worth mentioning? What if she thinks I'm lying? She won't force me to start eating more, right?

ReputationRep:
    Print off this post, hand it to her, job done with minimal difficulty on your part.

I've printed off TSR posts to show my psychiatrist before, she said it was very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    superwolf's suggestion is a good one - do make sure you share with your therapist, because this may be something you've slipped into as a way of helping to deal with anxiety, and these things are best dealt with sooner than later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Print off this post, hand it to her, job done with minimal difficulty on your part.

I've printed off TSR posts to show my psychiatrist before, she said it was very helpful.
    I was going to make an attempt at a witty comment, but that is pretty damn good advice. I may do that myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    I was going to make an attempt at a witty comment, but that is pretty damn good advice. I may do that myself.
    :hat2: Happy to help!

(Original post by superwolf)

That's a good idea, thanks. I will try that I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's a good idea, thanks. I will try that I think.
    No problem - hope it goes ok.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.