The Student Room Group

Best noise cancelling headphones for commute to uni?????????

Scroll to see replies

Yeah its a matter of opinion I guess.

Compared to what magazines say I've found myself extremely sensitive to ambient noise.

For example when everyone was ranting and raving about the B&W P3s; I hated them. The whole on-ear design allows to much sound into my ears. Once they brought out the P7s I finally got how good B&W can be.

May be I have funny-shaped ears.
Original post by prettyGirl101
Can you wear the first one on the tube/day to day? i dont want to look weird esp since i wear a hijab lol

In my opinion, yes. I've seen people wearing all sorts of headphones on the tube ranging from basic to exotic, nobody bats an eyelid provided they're not leaking sound and bothering people. The Downtowns are a pretty compact, minimalist and good looking pair of headphones too, so you shouldn't have any issues.

Original post by Adipoptosis
Yeah its a matter of opinion I guess.

Compared to what magazines say I've found myself extremely sensitive to ambient noise.

For example when everyone was ranting and raving about the B&W P3s; I hated them. The whole on-ear design allows to much sound into my ears. Once they brought out the P7s I finally got how good B&W can be.

May be I have funny-shaped ears.

Coincidentally I also own the P7s after hating the P3s and P5s :ahee: the P5s were lovely to hold but didn't sound very good but the P3s were, in my opinion, just plain bad. They're way too tiny for use on the tube too, on the scale of on-ears they're probably among the worst isolating of any non-closed headphone! The Citiscape Downtowns I recommended to the OP, however, cover the whole ear with their pad and have some sort of feature that increases their isolation capabilities, which I thought sounded like marketing junk when I read it but upon trying them it works remarkably well :yep:
Awesome may be ill get them for a family member and then keep them for myself if they're good :tongue:
Awesome may be ill get them for a family member and then keep them for myself if they're good :tongue:

Do you own the P7s? Because if so and you're coming from the P7s then I don't know whether or not a pair costing one 11th of the price will satisfy you :ahee: But yeah, the Downtowns are cracking value and one of the best pieces of tech you can gift to somebody for under £30 in my opinion, they're a firm favourite among audio enthusiasts for their bang-for-buck :yep:

In-ears win on sheer portability and isolation, on-ears win on sound quality. Make your choice based on that :yy:
the in ear isolate everything other than the song?

If you're going in ear, at that price, get the SoundMagic E10s. They're fantastic for the price.
Yeh I own the P7s, but I don't like taking them around with me. I just take my in-ears and stuff them in my pocket when I'm walking around.

Yep that does seem like an excellent gift. Although, the sad thing is that most people would just be disappointed they're not endorsed by Dr Dre :rolleyes:
Original post by mikeyd85
If you're going in ear, at that price, get the SoundMagic E10s. They're fantastic for the price.

ahh thank you!!! i'll get them. im just afraid they will hurt my ears as ive always just used the normal earphones like the old iphone ones.
the in ear isolate everything other than the song?

Nothing, not even the best noise cancelling headphones in the world, block out everything but the song. In ears simply block out the most of any type of headphone that don't have active noice cancelling technology.

I personally use larger headphones that don't isolate as well, and on my tube trips they block out enough noise for me when I listen at my usual (admittedly quite loud) volumes. But if you want to block out as much as possible, get in-ear headphones.

I also agree with mikeyd85's suggestion here, the Soundmagic E10 are better in-ear headphones for £30;

Yeh I own the P7s, but I don't like taking them around with me. I just take my in-ears and stuff them in my pocket when I'm walking around.

Yep that does seem like an excellent gift. Although, the sad thing is that most people would just be disappointed they're not endorsed by Dr Dre :rolleyes:

I'm the other way around, my P7s are my portable headphone and I use a pair of Sennheiser HD600s for at home :smile: But yeah, if you want them as an inexpensive secondary pair they're great for the price :h:
ahh thank you!!! i'll get them. im just afraid they will hurt my ears as ive always just used the normal earphones like the old iphone ones.

In-ear headphones are wayyyy more comfortable than earbuds :yep:

If they hurt your ears, change the size of the tip. The E10s come with a boat load of different tips for all ear sizes. Find the one the fits comfortably whilst being secure in your ear and has a good, full sound.
you're both life-savers!!!!!!!
thanks a bunch
would rep but dont have any left

If they hurt your ears, change the size of the tip. The E10s come with a boat load of different tips for all ear sizes. Find the one the fits comfortably whilst being secure in your ear and has a good, full sound.
cba to make a new thread so i'll just ask on this :P

whats a good pair of DURABLE in ear headphones for under £30, i literally go through a pair every 2-3 months
Original post by scriberg
cba to make a new thread so i'll just ask on this :P

whats a good pair of DURABLE in ear headphones for under £30, i literally go through a pair every 2-3 months

Soundmagic E10. If you aren't already doing so, unplug them from your phone whenever they're not in use, for a lot of people this cures their habit of breaking through pairs every few months.

If they break on you, spend your next £30 on five pairs of Monoprice 8320 and a pack of spare silicon tips made for Sennheiser or Sony headphones. As good sound quality-wise as almost every £30 pair and when one breaks you can bring in a replacement pair from the backup collections :ahee:
:lol:

This is actually decent advice! Those Monoprice in ears are amazing for the price!
Reply 37
im gonna say you don't want to have the best noise cancelling headphones, by cutting off your sense of hearing your at a disadvantage, when it comes to preempting attacks and thefts.
I like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X. They're not "noise cancelling" specifically but they block out noise really well I find; they also sound amazing so there's that :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending