Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to Oxford to study PPE whilst not planning to study it at any other universities; instead I'd do Economics or History but how can I write a personal statement specific enough to PPE without condemning my chances of doing an economics or history course if I don't get in?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Moved to PS Advice

In short, it would be very difficult - History would be impossible to cover in the PS. Why don't you want to look at PPE at other unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgeandbertie)
    I want to apply to Oxford to study PPE whilst not planning to study it at any other universities; instead I'd do Economics or History but how can I write a personal statement specific enough to PPE without condemning my chances of doing an economics or history course if I don't get in?
    It sounds like you're considering applying to 3 different (popular and competitive) courses. Really, you need to decide on one course, or at least between PPE/Econ and history. You won't be able to discuss history adequately in a good PPE PS.

When you come to writing your PS, you'll realise how short it actually is and how hard it is to even discuss two subjects in enough depth.

You've got the best part of the year to decide on a course, so spend time doing that, rather than trying to figure out a way to write a good PS for three subjects as it's not really possible.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.