Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right. Yes its me. Again. A while ago I managed to download msn messenger 6.1, I registered an account etc, but I could not sign in to msn messenger. I tried for ages but then gave up. Now i know what the problem was/is: our internet connection is through a network and there is a firewall stopping any instant messengers. I think i need to change the firewall slightly. Is this right? How do I do it? Will I then get viruses? I want to change the settings for my machine, not the whole network. If it helps, I have windows 98....

PLEASE help me!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missmelonhead)
    Right. Yes its me. Again. A while ago I managed to download msn messenger 6.1, I registered an account etc, but I could not sign in to msn messenger. I tried for ages but then gave up. Now i know what the problem was/is: our internet connection is through a network and there is a firewall stopping any instant messengers. I think i need to change the firewall slightly. Is this right? How do I do it? Will I then get viruses? I want to change the settings for my machine, not the whole network. If it helps, I have windows 98....

the problem isn't your OS, it's the firewall not letting MSN messenger communicate using the ports it needs to. Which firewall are you using?

ReputationRep:

If you open up the firewall program..there should be the option to allow certain programs to communicate through the firewall...if you can find that...just add msn to it..and allow it....then it should work

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    If you open up the firewall program...
    G
    err..... how do i do that? i am not the administrator of the network and i have none of the control (my dad does) but can i still do it?

ReputationRep:
    err..... how do i do that? i am not the administrator of the network and i have none of the control (my dad does) but can i still do it?
    I think you need to be the administrator.....alternatively. ..ask your dad if he knows how to do it???

If you are in the administrator account....the firewall program normally has a little icon in the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen.....right click and open the main program......then look around the program for the programs allowed and blocked etc....

G

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.