The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Confused !!!!

Hi

i am young qualified Manufacturing Engineer to HNC (Higher national certificate) level. i am currently in full time employment as a CNC engineer and i own my own home along with my fiancé, i have been keen to go to university for some time now but don't think i have the right skill set to achieve a degree. my fiancé went to university and she has always said that she has regretted her decision to go. i wanted to hear off students that are currently studying or just got their degree is it something i should consider carefully? and what are the pros and cons of going to university at this current time. thank you for taking the time to read this post and any information will be much appreciated

kind regards

Nathaniel J Thorley
Reply 1
Original post by Nathaniel148
Hi

i am young qualified Manufacturing Engineer to HNC (Higher national certificate) level. i am currently in full time employment as a CNC engineer and i own my own home along with my fiancé, i have been keen to go to university for some time now but don't think i have the right skill set to achieve a degree. my fiancé went to university and she has always said that she has regretted her decision to go. i wanted to hear off students that are currently studying or just got their degree is it something i should consider carefully? and what are the pros and cons of going to university at this current time. thank you for taking the time to read this post and any information will be much appreciated

kind regards

Nathaniel J Thorley

As you have your own home, you need to carefully consider student finance. You won't get as much as you currently earn now from your job, so you need to consider whether you'll be able to afford your bills. There are additional grants available if you have children or complicated circumstances, but the minimum loan is around £4500.

You also need to think about what you want to study. If it's something related to engineering then your HNC and current work experience will count towards the entry requirements, but if you want to study something completely different you may have to do further study before the degree. Your HNC might even allow you to start with second year and skip the first year of the degree, but this depends on the uni and degree you'll be looking at.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Quick Reply

Latest