Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Come Sept 15 it looks as if both my daughters will be at Uni and I am about to help them both apply (youngest daughter for her first year in September and eldest for her third year).

Question is this : Will there be any allowance made for the fact that we have 2 children in higher education at the same time, and if so, how much? Both my husband and I work and our joint income is just over the threshold currently for any kind of grant on living expenses so any allowance made against our income could just tip the balance for both daughters.

The other question is by how much our eldest daughter's living allowance loan will be reduced because she is in her third year?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hello gingernut,

We will assess your first daughter based on the total household income, we will then deduct a disregard amount when assessing your 2nd daughter in order to award the full entitlement.

The disregard amount is currently £1130.00.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is the disregard amount (very small IMHO) likely to increase in the near future?

I now have the schedule on household income from a Uni offer day we attended. It seems we are less than £1,000 pa over the £45,000 pa band, even when taking into account the small disregard. As a result, our youngest daughter will have her loan reduced by approx. £500, which means in effect she will just about be able to pay for her rent and will have very little left over to pay for essentials (such as food!).

It seems we are truly the "squeezed middle" typical family. Earning to much to get any help via grants or from the Uni, yet too much to qualify for the full loan or any grant, literally by a few hundred pounds.

I am sorely tempted to give up my part time job and have our family income reassessed at 2015 level.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gingernut161094)
    Is the disregard amount (very small IMHO) likely to increase in the near future?

I now have the schedule on household income from a Uni offer day we attended. It seems we are less than £1,000 pa over the £45,000 pa band, even when taking into account the small disregard. As a result, our youngest daughter will have her loan reduced by approx. £500, which means in effect she will just about be able to pay for her rent and will have very little left over to pay for essentials (such as food!).

It seems we are truly the "squeezed middle" typical family. Earning to much to get any help via grants or from the Uni, yet too much to qualify for the full loan or any grant, literally by a few hundred pounds.

I am sorely tempted to give up my part time job and have our family income reassessed at 2015 level.
    There are ways for your daughter to get a degree without you giving up your job.

You could perhaps ask her if she would consider studying at a local university, that way she could live at home and save a lot of money. Or she could do a degree with the Open University. Or she could do a degree at Birkbeck, University of London (where all classes and lectures are in the evenings, thus allowing students to work in the day if they choose). She might also consider studying abroad - the Netherlands particularly has many top universities which offer degrees taught in English. It is much, much cheaper and it isn't very far away.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that Snufkin. These are options we are now considering, even though she had her heart set on a particular Uni and a course that fitted her needs very well. She has already made her UCAS application and received 5 offers, all of which is now having to be put on hold because she literally can't afford to go. None of her choices are close to home as we didn't know, until yesterday, by how much her loan would be reduced. Our April 2014 income is literally a few hundred over the limit even when taking into account the disregard for having 2 at Uni at the same time.

We still don't know by how much our eldest daughter's loan will be reduced and she will be in her third year, so no options about changing track at that stage.

It strikes me there is a lot of help out there for anyone with a family on a very low income and those who are earning well above the average can afford to fund their kids in Uni. It's those of us in the middle who are finding it hard, and that probably makes up the majority.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.