Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    heyyy everyone

is it normal for postgraduate replies to take very long to reply

does this mean a rejection :/

can you guys give me an idea on when you applied for MSc taught courses and when offers/rejections came through.

much appreciated !

ReputationRep:
    I think it very much depends on the course and university.

I applied for my MSc taught course on the 21st August 2014 (deadline was 29th August) last reference didn't come in until the 6th September, got an offer on the 9th September (half 9 at night). Course started on the 15th September. kind of a last minute spur of the moment decision for me

For my course people who applied earlier waited much longer to hear back

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the overview, congrats on your offer ...the waiting game!!

ReputationRep:
    It really is an imprecise science...

If your application gets received one day and there is an admissions meeting the next day it is perfectly possible for an offer to be in your inbox within days. On the other hand at this stage of the admissions cycle meetings may be no more than fortnightly, even monthly, and so if you just miss a meeting it might mean your application doesn't get looked at for some time.

Most programmes will operate a rolling system whereby outstanding applications are given an offer as soon as they are reviewed and sub-standard ones rejected as soon as they are reviewed. Those that are more marginal are held back in what is called a gathered field in the lingo until the standard of the field becomes more clear/ there are more applications to compare against one another. If you have been waiting more than a couple of months it is very likely that you are in this category.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.