The Student Room Group

To people who DON'T drink alcohol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've stood on both sides of this fence, and I can totally appreciate why people may not drink.

When I go out, I don't always drink. And when I do, I don't try and drink my weight either.

It may be fun at the time but you definitely feel the effects the next day. I always thought that forgetting the events of a night drinking was a myth, its not. And that's not the best feeling tbh.

I'm not that keen on beer, cider's alright. Vodka is meh but it acts quickly. Kind of like the taste of spirits, like tequila and sambuca, in a strange way.

Still, I've never been 'pass out' drunk, and I've never been properly sick from drinking to much, so I think I've got the balance right. Excessive amounts of anything is not healthy.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I prefer fruit juice.

I have quite a nice time actually, sipping my fruit juice.

Nope, I'll take my fruit juice.

I'll pass. I did try some alcohol before but I still don't understand what the whole buzz is about. Fruit juice just tastes so much better.

Cool, fresh fruit juice is even better for you.

Fruit juice should really not cost so much.

:rofl: Such good replies.

That's the thing, you don't know what the buzz is about because you've never been drunk before

How old are you btw?

Original post by Kittiara
I don't like the taste of it. And yes, I have tried different drinks, usually because of other people going, "Here, try this," as they can be a bit baffled that I don't enjoy it. It all just tastes unpleasant to me, though. It's just the way it is, and I see no point in forcing myself to drink it, no more than I'll force myself to eat mushrooms or Brussels sprouts, which I really dislike as well.

How old are you? I understand the first time you drink alcohol it doesn't taste nice but you get used to it

Original post by Aph
Don't like the taste or effects, I don't fin fit fun

Interesting, have you ever been drunk?
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Have you ever drunk/been drunk? I wouldn't hate drunk people if you got drunk yourself though :rolleyes:

The stupid things are what makes being drunk fun! Then laugh about it in the morning with your friends :smile:

I haven't but I don't feel the need to try :tongue: Plus I wouldn't want to be acting like some of the stupid drunk people out there lol
The same could be said about many other drugs, and in fact alcohol is more harming than a lot of them. The chemical in the liver that breaks it down is actually limited, and once it runs out it doesn't get replenished. I think this explains why hangovers get worse with age.

Anyone who's ever drunk (you actually don't seem to have done so, ironically) would know that there is no such thing as guaranteed fun from alcohol, and what you're doing and with whom has a much greater effect, whether it's for the better or worse.

Not touching alcohol religiously is as ridiculous as harassing people to "force fun" down their throat. It's a drug, like weed and like excess pure sugar. It can be mind altering fun, or not, and has bodily consequences that may be bad. People should use them because they understand the implications, and accept them, not because they're bullied into it, or out of it.

Good day to you dear Sir.
Reply 24

Interesting, have you ever been drunk?

Barely and I fell asleep fast
Why?

Aren't you bored of seeing all your friends having a good time on the strip? You say you can have fun without alcohol but when everyone around you is drunk is it not just weird and awkward?

Don't you grow tiresome of the people achieving hedonism by simply engorging in the delicious elixir that is alcohol.

Have you ever let yourself loose and tried it? Being drunk can be really fun if moderated and you can still have a great healthy lifestyle.

Recent studies have actually pointed at alcohol being good for your health if consumed in moderation: http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/truth-wont-admit-drinking-healthy-87891

So...... what are you waiting for?

:colone:

Idon't feelthe need to.

Some people aren't into it

How old are you? I understand the first time you drink alcohol it doesn't taste nice but you get used to it

Old enough to know my preferences. In my country of birth, the Netherlands, it's quite common to allow kids of a certain age a sip of wine at dinner, especially on special occasions. In high school older students were allowed to drink beer at parties, and I've done that. I've tried all sorts of other drinks, like Malibu, Baileys, alcopops, sherry, port, gin. My boyfriend is a homebrewer, and we live together, so it's not like I lack exposure.

I just don't see the point in making myself get used to it. It would be like making myself get used to watching soap operas, or X-Factor, or anything else I don't like or have no interest in. Not drinking alcohol isn't a problem for me.
Original post by StarvingAutist
>thinks 'condones' means 'condemns'

And yeah, I didn't condemn it. It's just getting drunk isn't healthy. That isn't disputable. On occasion it's fun (not good for you) but regularly it's pretty unhealthy. Weed is inarguably less dangerous than alcohol (disregarding smoke: obvious cancer risk. I'm talking about vaping/eating).

Good grammatical.... I'm assuming you're not at uni? I agree with this except weed causes long term damage to brain cells which you probably didn't know. Yes I'm aware of the effects of alcohol to the brain.

Original post by RD208
I've stood on both sides of this fence, and I can totally appreciate why people may not drink.

When I go out, I don't always drink. And when I do, I don't try and drink my weight either.

It may be fun at the time but you definitely feel the effects the next day. I always thought that forgetting the events of a night drinking was a myth, its not. And that's not the best feeling tbh.

I'm not that keen on beer, cider's alright. Vodka is meh but it acts quickly. Kind of like the taste of spirits, like tequila and sambuca, in a strange way.

Still, I've never been 'pass out' drunk, and I've never been properly sick from drinking to much, so I think I've got the balance right. Excessive amounts of anything is not healthy.

I like your point of view I agree

Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
I haven't but I don't feel the need to try :tongue: Plus I wouldn't want to be acting like some of the stupid drunk people out there lol

One day you'll get drunk and you'll love it :colone:

Original post by Gott
I am assuming OP is a student so any drinking during the course is not going to be beneficial

You don't revise when you're drunk though

Original post by Flying Cookie
The same could be said about many other drugs, and in fact alcohol is more harming than a lot of them. The chemical in the liver that breaks it down is actually limited, and once it runs out it doesn't get replenished. I think this explains why hangovers get worse with age.

Anyone who's ever drunk (you actually don't seem to have done so, ironically) would know that there is no such thing as guaranteed fun from alcohol, and what you're doing and with whom has a much greater effect, whether it's for the better or worse.

Not touching alcohol religiously is as ridiculous as harassing people to "force fun" down their throat. It's a drug, like weed and like excess pure sugar. It can be mind altering fun, or not, and has bodily consequences that may be bad. People should use them because they understand the implications, and accept them, not because they're bullied into it, or out of it.

Good day to you dear Sir.

:rofl: Can you back up your pseudo science claims? Your liver actually adapts to get better at getting rid of alcohol the more you drink, this is why you can drink more every time before getting drunk.

Lmao what makes you think I've never been drunk? Actually every time I've been drunk I've had fun.

Not forcing people to drink just getting their opinion on why they don't, I'm guessing you're not of legal age to drink yet otherwise you wouldn't post this tripe.

Original post by Aph
Barely and I fell asleep fast

Aha sounds like you're a youngen so I'll let it slip
Reply 28
:rofl: Such good replies.

That's the thing, you don't know what the buzz is about because you've never been drunk before

How old are you btw?

21, Soon to be 22 with no increased desire to find out what it'd be like to be drunk :P I neither have the curiosity of what it'd be like to be high or what it feels like to jump out of a plane, so I'm ok with 'missing out' on being drunk.
Original post by elmosandy
Idon't feelthe need to.

Some people aren't into it

Have you ever tried?

Original post by Kittiara
Old enough to know my preferences. In my country of birth, the Netherlands, it's quite common to allow kids of a certain age a sip of wine at dinner, especially on special occasions. In high school older students were allowed to drink beer at parties, and I've done that. I've tried all sorts of other drinks, like Malibu, Baileys, alcopops, sherry, port, gin. My boyfriend is a homebrewer, and we live together, so it's not like I lack exposure.

I just don't see the point in making myself get used to it. It would be like making myself get used to watching soap operas, or X-Factor, or anything else I don't like or have no interest in. Not drinking alcohol isn't a problem for me.

Fair enough

Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
21, Soon to be 22 with no increased desire to find out what it'd be like to be drunk :P I neither have the curiosity of what it'd be like to be high or what it feels like to jump out of a plane, so I'm ok with 'missing out' on being drunk.

:eek:

How have you never been drunk? Don't you think that in our limited life we have to experience everything we possible can? If you went to uni/at uni don't you feel like you're missing out when all your friends are drunk?

As I scientist I'm curious to try everything and all experiences in life :ahee:
Good grammatical.... I'm assuming you're not at uni? I agree with this except weed causes long term damage to brain cells which you probably didn't know. Yes I'm aware of the effects of alcohol to the brain.

I'll be starting uni at around the same time as you. Tell me what 'good grammatical' means, perchance? :tongue:
The last time I looked at a weed-related study, it said that cognitive function is impaired for roughly a week after use, but after that your cognitive ability is back to normal (even for heavy users). Wikipedia says that cognitive impairment is only a risk for pre-pubescents and that there isn't a similar risk for adults.
Anyway, this isn't what the thread is about so I'll leave it there
Original post by StarvingAutist
I'll be starting uni at around the same time as you. Tell me what 'good grammatical' means, perchance? :tongue:
The last time I looked at a weed-related study, it said that cognitive function is impaired for roughly a week after use, but after that your cognitive ability is back to normal (even for heavy users). Wikipedia says that cognitive impairment is only a risk for pre-pubescents and that there isn't a similar risk for adults.
Anyway, this isn't what the thread is about so I'll leave it there

Sorry that was suppose to say good grammatical point :colondollar:

More stats and evidence has come about of weed due to heavier use depending on when you checked. Ok :tongue:

Oh really? When will you go?

Are you prepared for the amount of drunk people at university? :colone:

I like your point of view I agree

One day you'll get drunk and you'll love it :colone:

You don't revise when you're drunk though

:rofl: Can you back up your pseudo science claims? Your liver actually adapts to get better at getting rid of alcohol the more you drink, this is why you can drink more every time before getting drunk.

Lmao what makes you think I've never been drunk? Actually every time I've been drunk I've had fun.

Not forcing people to drink just getting their opinion on why they don't, I'm guessing you're not of legal age to drink yet otherwise you wouldn't post this tripe.

Aha sounds like you're a youngen so I'll let it slip

You'll just pick the low hanging grapes in my post? Are you trying to make some wine out of it? :wink:

Listen, read my post again, and counter the hardest points, if you can.

Hangovers getting worse with age, and the liver growing weary of alcohol is not something to be argued with. Being able to drink more without getting drunk is not the liver getting better, talk about pseudoscience, it's desensitisation. You know, like obese people eating 10 pizzas a day. They're not getting better at eating, they're getting worse.

You having fun while drinking could be a correlation. It doesn't mean being drunk will be fun for everyone in their own lives. Your life need not apply.

I'm old enough to drink, I've drunk enough to know better, and dear Sir, it's you who's tripe-ing.

I want to know why people wouldn't drink either, but the way you phrased your enquiry comes across mocking rather than innocently curious.
Reply 33

:eek:

How have you never been drunk? Don't you think that in our limited life we have to experience everything we possible can? If you went to uni/at uni don't you feel like you're missing out when all your friends are drunk?

As I scientist I'm curious to try everything and all experiences in life :ahee:

I could experience surviving getting run over but nah. I'm ok with 'missing out' on life experiences, there's no checklist to complete and there's no reward for it other than being able to say "I've done it", which for me is a pretty poor reward.

I've gone out to house parties and went clubbing many times and have actually enjoyed myself! Although I prefer house parties because I enjoy talking to people much more than I enjoy dancing, I don't feel like I'm missing out in the slightest!
I drink occasionally, but never enough to get drunk. There are only one or two drinks I actually like, and if I try to get drunk I start to feel a bit sick before I get there, which forces me to slow right down. Not the point of being sick, but to the point of getting that uncomfortable feeling, if you know what I mean. Which is not fun on a night out. I've never been properly "drunk", I think one night back in October I wouldn't have been far from "tipsy" but that's about it.

It's also expensive, so I can only afford to drink occasionally.
You don't need to drink to have a good time or enjoy time well spent with friends. If people are worried about friends judging them for not drinking then they just find better friends. People shouldn't feel like they have to drink to have a good time as you really don't. Plus it saves you money and you don't need to worry about having a hangover either... only sounds like positives to me
Sorry that was suppose to say good grammatical point :colondollar:

More stats and evidence has come about of weed due to heavier use depending on when you checked. Ok :tongue:

Oh really? When will you go?

Are you prepared for the amount of drunk people at university? :colone:

Haha it was pretty recent. Of course, my memory could be deceiving me but I did a quick check on google and it seems to add up.
I'll be going in October :smile: I wish it were sooner!
Tbf I'll probably join them, damaged health regardless :L
Reply 37
Why?

Aren't you bored of seeing all your friends having a good time on the strip?

Stopped reading after that.

Come on...
Why?

Aren't you bored of seeing all your friends having a good time on the strip? You say you can have fun without alcohol but when everyone around you is drunk is it not just weird and awkward?

Don't you grow tiresome of the people achieving hedonism by simply engorging in the delicious elixir that is alcohol.

Have you ever let yourself loose and tried it? Being drunk can be really fun if moderated and you can still have a great healthy lifestyle.

Recent studies have actually pointed at alcohol being good for your health if consumed in moderation: http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/truth-wont-admit-drinking-healthy-87891

So...... what are you waiting for?

:colone:

It's not weird or awkward, but it can be. I like to think that my confidence keeps me inside conversation and the flow of things. And I don't get annoyed by people finding hedonism easily reached by alcohol, I think it's a bit typical and it's not my scene to get off with a girl right off the beat.

I have let myself off and tried it, and it is fun in moderation, but I'd never get more than tipsy.

You should try a water-night, they're interesting in a different way. Go clubbing, only get water, see how confident you really are, Romeo.
Original post by Flying Cookie
You'll just pick the low hanging grapes in my post? Are you trying to make some wine out of it? :wink:

Listen, read my post again, and counter the hardest points, if you can.

Hangovers getting worse with age, and the liver growing weary of alcohol is not something to be argued with. Being able to drink more without getting drunk is not the liver getting better, talk about pseudoscience, it's desensitisation. You know, like obese people eating 10 pizzas a day. They're not getting better at eating, they're getting worse.

You having fun while drinking could be a correlation. It doesn't mean being drunk will be fun for everyone in their own lives. Your life need not apply.

I'm old enough to drink, I've drunk enough to know better, and dear Sir, it's you who's tripe-ing.

I want to know why people wouldn't drink either, but the way you phrased your enquiry comes across mocking rather than innocently curious.

Nice pun, haha no you're quite wrong about why hangovers get worse with age. This ''chemical'' doesn't run out :rofl: Nothing actually runs out in the human body except brain cells which don't replenish after a certain age(I think). The liver actually gets gradually slower because you get older so processes are slower, the enzyme doesn't break down alcohol as efficiently. Also you retain less water and have less muscle and more fat all contributing factors to a bad hangover.

It's not just desensitization your liver actually produces more enzymes to cope with the alcohol content, your brain desensitizes.

Oh so you're past the age of drinking and having fun, that makes sense :mmm:

It's not mockery I'm just really curious to why they don't drink
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending