Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    I'm hopefully going back to university in September and I'm on medication for depression/anxiety, I was wondering if there was any point in me applying for DSA just for depression and anxiety?

    It's not like I need a laptop or anything which I know some people get I just want some support from people to help me get through my degree.
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    It's definitely worth applying and having a full needs assessment (with the SFE will pay for, if they give the go ahead for applying for DSA). Things you could be offered may include a notetaker (for when your depression/anxiety prevents you from attending lectures), a study mentor to help you succeed in your degree: stuff like that. It's not just about equipment.

    I would strongly recommend you talk to your uni's disability office about this. If you don't ask, you'll never know
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You may also get exam concessions and possibly deadline extensions.
    • #2

    Yes. Talk to the disability service at your university.

    You could get adjustments in exams and coursework; things like more time, rest breaks and extended deadlines. You could get funding for a study support tutor, a specialist mental health mentor and a note taking. I found mentoring invaluable, it is the only thing that kept me going on my course. SFE funded 1 hour per week term time and in that time I was able to offload my problems and formulate a plan for the week ahead. Study support kept me organised.

    Plus there is other equipment like voice recorders, screen readers, etc. All of which may be useful, depending on how your health problems impact on your study.

    SFE pay for the DSA assessment. My experience was the lady doing it was very knowledgeable about health and disability, very kind and very professional. I think it took about 2 hours total and it was quite draining but worth it in the end. Once you have the assessment statement it can be updated at a later date if your needs change. You would be entitled to DSA for the whole length of your course and even postgraduate study too.

    A simple letter from your GP stating something like "Mr Jones has X & Y condition diagnosed on DATE. He is being treated with Z medication and was last reviewed on DATE" is all the evidence you need to send them with your application form. GP will probably charge you £20 - £35 for that type of letter.
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.