Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I am a 16 year old studying Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Art at a AS Level with a dream to become an Animator, but before that get some amazing AS grades!

My current grades (based on my recent mocks):
    - Physics - E
    - Maths (Core) - U, a grand total of 9/63 (well done chantelle )
    - Maths (Decision) - U
    - Chemistry - U, another grand total of 11/80
    - Art - D/E

Unfortunately they're not great grades but now I know I need to improve my revision techniques in order to do better!

My goals:
    As a mentioned earlier my aspiration is to become an Animator, when I started researching a few years ago universities the top one appears to be Bournemouth University, so I wish to study Computer Visualisation and Animation (mouthful I know!). I do have more universities but Bournemouth is my main goal, however this does mean some top grades...

Physics - A
    Maths - A
    Art - B
    Chemistry - C (I'm looking to drop this next year)

Right now this may seem impossible and I have been told by some of my teachers that it's an impossible goal in terms of my grades.

However I believe that nothing is impossible and "if your dreams don't scare you they aren't big enough"

So here goes to my journey through AS Levels and good luck to everyone else whatever your goals!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound that difficult to achieve with the clear effort you seem to have.

Just do every past paper for maths, even the Solomon papers and you will get an A most likely.

Just revise alot, and do alot of past papers, i found them to be the best revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantellerose)
    Hello!

I am a 16 year old studying Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Art at a AS Level with a dream to become an Animator, but before that get some amazing AS grades!

My current grades (based on my recent mocks):
    - Physics - D (This may change depending on how they choose the grade boundaries)
    - Maths (Core) - U, a grand total of 9/63 (well done chantelle )
    - Maths (Decision) - E (Again this one might change because grade boundaries have yet to be decided)
    - Chemistry - U, another grand total of 11/80
    - Art - D/E

Unfortunately they're not great grades but now I know I need to improve my revision techniques in order to do better!

My goals:
    As a mentioned earlier my aspiration is to become an Animator, when I started researching a few years ago universities the top one appears to be Bournemouth University, so I wish to study Computer Visualisation and Animation (mouthful I know!). I do have more universities but Bournemouth is my main goal, however this does mean some top grades...

Physics - A
    Maths - A
    Art - B
    Chemistry - C (I'm looking to drop this next year)

Right now this may seem impossible and I have been told by some of my teachers that it's an impossible goal in terms of my grades.

However I believe that nothing is impossible and "if your dreams don't scare you they aren't big enough"

So here goes to my journey through AS Levels and good luck to everyone else whatever your goals!

If your having trouble in maths you can always post the question in the maths thread on TSR if you're confused or unsure how to do a certain question that seems difficult and I'm sure someone can assist you. Also a very useful website for maths is examsolution.net it has tutorials on every topic so you can look at a video on how to to do those specific questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    THURSDAY 29TH JANUARY UPDATE:

Unfortunately I've been ill this week so I haven't got much done in terms of physics, maths and chemistry
    The deadline for my art coursework is Monday so I'm putting a lot of my time into that at the moment to try and get the best possible grade.

I don't officially get my mock results back until February 6th but yesterday i got given my physics mock results back which was 43%.

I'm hoping next week will definitely be a better week in terms of health and school, and I'll definitely be making a study plan on Sunday!

ReputationRep:
    FRIDAY 6TH FEBRUARY UPDATE:

Today I had my mock results day and my results were:
    Chemistry - U
    Decision Maths - U
    Core Maths - U
    Physics - E

Some of these grades are lower than I expected and the grade boundaries did shock me a bit. For example you needed 43/80 to get an E in Chemistry!!!
    I'm currently creating a study plan for next week and I'm hoping to significantly improve especially with half-term coming up which will give me lots of time to revise!

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This post is to confirm that chantellerose's grades have been verified! :banana: :banana2: :banana:

ReputationRep:
    FRIDAY 13TH FEBRUARY UPDATE:

This week I have:

-Written up nearly all of my practicals for Chemistry, as I noticed that some of these practicals came up in the mock exam and it's something I need to revise!

-Started to look back over core 1, especially
    where I lost marks in the mock exam

-Started to work on Decision Maths papers

My goals for the half term are to:

-Organise my notes, I've definitely gotten behind with keeping my notes organised and lately my folders aren't as organised either.I haven't been coming home and re-writing up my notes so this is a must for the half term!!

-Complete a past paper (with the revision guide) in every subject (obviously with the exception of art), I've decided to do these with revision guide because I want to see where I lose the marks when I do have all the knowledge and improve on those mistakes.

-Get a lot of art work done (Coursework and exam books) so I can get ahead and get my coursework finished.

-Then if I have time I'd like to start working through all of the questions or SAQ's (Self assessment questions) in the physics and maths text books.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I can't really help with the other subjects, but I feel your pain for chemistry and physics.

With physics, it takes quite a while to get your head around the topics as it is a massive jump for gcse.
    Go over the topics as much as you can (at least once a week/every two weeks), the more you do, the more you'll understand it,
    and then it'll just click and you'll wonder why you found it so hard in the first place.
    For AS I got a D in physics, but didn't go over it during the year and only properly started revising for it in may,
    with minimal amounts of past papers (bad idea). This year, I went over the topics at least once a week and managed to get
    a B in my mock (1% of an A ), so proof that improvement can happen! Oh and ask your teachers a lot of questions!

Chemistry is slightly easier, but the problem with it is, that even if you understand the topics, you can still get a bad grade,
    because of silly mistakes in the exam. Doing a lot of past papers will help overcome that.

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say chemistry is easier xD i believe most people would rate it the hardest A-level.

Chemistry requires a great deal of GCSE knowledge and AS knowledge in your A2 exam. It builds on year after year. Your advice for Physics is also applicable in Chemistry, if not more so, due to the vast amount of information you need to learn at A2, AS and GCSE for Chem 4 and Chem 5.

That, and most questions have hidden parts in the spec, and some questions seem like you have never studied the topic as they are disguised.

Good luck with your studying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow636)
    I wouldn't say chemistry is easier xD i believe most people would rate it the hardest A-level.

Chemistry requires a great deal of GCSE knowledge and AS knowledge in your A2 exam. It builds on year after year. Your advice for Physics is also applicable in Chemistry, if not more so, due to the vast amount of information you need to learn at A2, AS and GCSE for Chem 4 and Chem 5.

That, and most questions have hidden parts in the spec, and some questions seem like you have never studied the topic as they are disguised.

Good luck with your studying
    I know but I honestly believe physics is harder. That being said, it means the grade boundaries are much lower and so it's easier to get a good grade in physics than chemistry.

For example for OCR June 2014, for physics you had to get 30/100 in one of the exams to get an E. In OCR chemistry June 2014, you had to get 31/60 to get an E.

Yeah that is true about the hidden spec! Some questions can really throw you off, even though the answer is simple.

Thanks, you too!

ReputationRep:
    MONDAY 23RD FEBRUARY UPDATE:

​Unfortunatley half term is over I didn't reach as many of my goals as I'd have liked to, I definitely organised my notes a fair bit, anything that was of no use I threw away and important sheets i put into individual plastic wallets in my folders, I am now able to see where there are gaps in my notes and where I need to improve. I've done a few SAQ's but not many and I did the typical a level student thing, leaving my all my homework till last minute!

I am annoyed with myself that I didn't reach all of my goals and I am in need of some motivation, any ideas how to stop procasinating??? (don't think i spelled that right either
    )

I've have decided now to plan my study timetable day by day rather than a whole week plan as it's easier to follow and I am also setting my self daily goals which I aim to reach.
    Today my goals were to:
    - Complete homework the day I get it (done all of it apart from one piece of chemistry which I'm stuck on)
    - Try to complete the half term homework that you didn't do (again all done apart from one piece now)
    - Revise two topics from each side of the chemistry course (which I didn't manage to get round to)

My goals for tomorrow are to:
    - Keep on top of homework
    - Start revising!!
    - Ask more teachers for help

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    MONDAY 23RD FEBRUARY UPDATE:

​Unfortunatley half term is over I didn't reach as many of my goals as I'd have liked to, I definitely organised my notes a fair bit, anything that was of no use I threw away and important sheets i put into individual plastic wallets in my folders, I am now able to see where there are gaps in my notes and where I need to improve. I've done a few SAQ's but not many and I did the typical a level student thing, leaving my all my homework till last minute!

I am annoyed with myself that I didn't reach all of my goals and I am in need of some motivation, any ideas how to stop procasinating??? (don't think i spelled that right either
    )

I've have decided now to plan my study timetable day by day rather than a whole week plan as it's easier to follow and I am also setting my self daily goals which I aim to reach.
    Today my goals were to:
    - Complete homework the day I get it (done all of it apart from one piece of chemistry which I'm stuck on)
    - Try to complete the half term homework that you didn't do (again all done apart from one piece now)
    - Revise two topics from each side of the chemistry course (which I didn't manage to get round to)

My goals for tomorrow are to:
    - Keep on top of homework
    - Start revising!!
    - Ask more teachers for help

It is spelt 'procastinating' like that, so you weren't far off!
    I normally print off quotes or read them to force me into work. Something like this for e.g "what you do now will reflect your future" or something like that which makes you think "oh no, I don't want that happening to me" which forces me into doing work. There are lots of ways but the most efficient way is to make a planner and stick to it. I print mine off weekly every Monday morning,so I have a plan set for the week. If you are still having trouble then find out what makes you start getting to work and use that to help you study.

ReputationRep:
    MONDAY 2ND MARCH UPDATE:

So it's now 10 weeks until exams AHHHH
    I've started my revision, so today I revised chemistry Unit 1 and stayed later at school to do so in the hope that this keeps me more focused

I also printed off examiners reports for some chemistry paper to see what common mistakes are, what you're not supposed to do etc. and I've also started making my way through the specification making sure that I understand everything.

In terms of Core 1 maths I feel like i'm failing a bit here, I revise and I understand the concept but when it comes to a paper I get confused with the questions they're asking, so this is definitely something I need to work on!

ReputationRep:
    SUNDAY 8TH MARCH UPDATE:

This week I've done a lot of revision for all of my subjects, including some past papers In my two recent maths assignments i got a U and an A, so there's still some work to be done

I'm going to continue with revision this week by making revision cards and posters to stick around the house

ReputationRep:
    THURSDAY 19TH MARCH UPDATE:

Its now only a week until the easter holidays and i have a lot of revision to do! I will probably set more goals next week but something I know I will definitely be doing over the easter holidays is lots of past papers!
    Over the past week i have been making notes, posters etc, and I think that I will keep doing this alongside past papers until my room is decorated with lots of colourful posters!

My art exam preparation is due in next thursday which will be good to get out of the way before the easter holidays

Does anyone have tips on revising for sciences?

ReputationRep:
    THURSDAY 19TH MARCH UPDATE:

Its now only a week until the easter holidays and i have a lot of revision to do! I will probably set more goals next week but something I know I will definitely be doing over the easter holidays is lots of past papers!
    Over the past week i have been making notes, posters etc, and I think that I will keep doing this alongside past papers until my room is decorated with lots of colourful posters!

My art exam preparation is due in next thursday which will be good to get out of the way before the easter holidays

Does anyone have tips on revising for sciences?

a-level chemistry is a great website
    Do every past paper, twice if possible.

Go through notes / a level chemistry book, do all the questions on that too

ReputationRep:
    a-level chemistry is a great website
    Do every past paper, twice if possible.

Go through notes / a level chemistry book, do all the questions on that too
    Thank you!!

Are you taking AS Level or A Level chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!

Are you taking AS Level or A Level chemistry?
    A-level chemistry

AS grade B (1 off an A x/)

CHEM 1 A,
    CHEM 2, B
    EMPA, A

If this helps

ReputationRep:
    A-level chemistry

AS grade B (1 off an A x/)

CHEM 1 A,
    CHEM 2, B
    EMPA, A

If this helps
    Wow those are really good grades!! Did you mostly do past papers for your revision or other stuff like mind maps, flashcards etc too?

ReputationRep:
    Wow those are really good grades!! Did you mostly do past papers for your revision or other stuff like mind maps, flashcards etc too?
    I did all the past papers, and just re-read the whole book. That helped

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.