The Student Room Group

Help!!! Midwifery rejections .. What next?

NEED ALL THE HELP AND ADVISE I CAN GET!!!

So , I am in my final year of sixth form and I am currently going through the ucas process to get me to university. I applied to study Midwifery at Liverpool John Moores , Swansea , Cardiff , Brighton and USW. I have been rejected to LJM , Swansea , Cardiff and Brighton meaning I have one choice left. I am very hardworking and determined so getting rejections has really knocked me back and effected my confidence. However , I trying to stay positive and reach my goal.

So , now I am planning my future and how i am going to get where i want to be.

Does anyone advice me to go through UCAS extra/clearing and study Medical Sciences and humanities whilst getting all the experience that i can and re applying for midwifery in 3 years time?
or , do I better myself and keep reapplying until I get on to a degree studying Midwifery?

All help and guidance would be much appreciated right now. This is my first year applying for university and although i was aware that i had chosen a tough profession to get to , I am still heartbroken that its not going as well as I hoped for.

Thank-you for any help!

Currently your typical stressed/upset yet determined student ... :smile: .
Reply 1
Hi,

First of all don't worry! Midwifery is SUCH a competitive course especially for us 18 year olds! Its my first year applying and I'm not expecting to get an offer anywhere this year, but if places do come up in clearing i will be calling the university and asking them to consider my application, its such a good idea to look at clearing because if they've got places left they're going to want to fill them. Sometimes the places in clearing aren't really what you want or whatever and thats fine, but in terms of applying for a different course, i wouldn't bother at least for another year of re-applying, because its so competitive theres a better chance of you getting in a second or third year around and if its still not working then maybe find another route, through nursing or another health care based course?

If you need any advice or just a chat about all the stress I'm in exactly the same position so just message me and we can chat!

All the best :smile: x
Reply 2
I'm looking to study midwifery at uni and I'm currently doing my AS Levels. What grades did you get?
Reply 3
Original post by GeoS

So , I am in my final year of sixth form and I am currently going through the ucas process to get me to university. I applied to study Midwifery at Liverpool John Moores , Swansea , Cardiff , Brighton and USW. I have been rejected to LJM , Swansea , Cardiff and Brighton meaning I have one choice left. I am very hardworking and determined so getting rejections has really knocked me back and effected my confidence. However , I trying to stay positive and reach my goal.

Does anyone advice me to go through UCAS extra/clearing and study Medical Sciences and humanities whilst getting all the experience that i can and re applying for midwifery in 3 years time?
or , do I better myself and keep reapplying until I get on to a degree studying Midwifery?

All help and guidance would be much appreciated right now. This is my first year applying for university and although i was aware that i had chosen a tough profession to get to , I am still heartbroken that its not going as well as I hoped for.

Thank-you for any help!

Its rough trying to get on one of these highly competitive courses like children's nursing, physio and midwifery. If you are unsuccessful, i'd suggest taking a year out to get some practical experience such as a job on a midwifery unit as a health care assistant. I know people get in on work experience alone but nothing beats hands on experience and knowing that you can actually cope with dealing with bodily fluids and all that stuff is a great boost to your application. Also, why did you get your rejections? Did you get feedback?
Original post by GeoS

Thank-you for any help!

Hey there! I know well sort of know how you feel I was in the same situation last year with children's nursing due to how competitive it is! I applied to children's nursing last time and got 5 rejections, I felt crushed and didn't know what to do, take another course that I didn't really want or wait a year!

In the end I decided to wait a year and reapply this time and have 4 interviews up to now which is better than last time! I would definitely say don't go on a course that your aren't passionate about! Take a year out and get some experience you only young and have plenty of years ahead to graduate and become a midwife! I've took a year out and the experience I've got is unbelievable I truly realise that last year I wasn't ready for uni but this year I know I am!

Anyway hun, good luck with whatever you do, always remember life isn't over with being rejected (although it feels like it is) go with your heart and you will succeed and be an amazing midwife! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ollynicky
Hey there! I know well sort of know how you feel I was in the same situation last year with children's nursing due to how competitive it is! I applied to children's nursing last time and got 5 rejections, I felt crushed and didn't know what to do, take another course that I didn't really want or wait a year!

In the end I decided to wait a year and reapply this time and have 4 interviews up to now which is better than last time! I would definitely say don't go on a course that your aren't passionate about! Take a year out and get some experience you only young and have plenty of years ahead to graduate and become a midwife! I've took a year out and the experience I've got is unbelievable I truly realise that last year I wasn't ready for uni but this year I know I am!

Anyway hun, good luck with whatever you do, always remember life isn't over with being rejected (although it feels like it is) go with your heart and you will succeed and be an amazing midwife! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would suggest taking a year out and applying again. First year I got unsuccessful with every uni but 2 and then got rejected after interview as they said they didn't feel I have experience (although I did). I applied this year and have got an offer and waiting for more interviews to come up. Taking a year out actually helped me a lot and it's not the end of the world if you don't get in first year. Most girls at my interview day it was there 3rd or 4th year applying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending