Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am slightly confused to as how action potential travels down an axon? If anyone could explain (step by step) how this process occurs, I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorothybest13)
    Hello, I am slightly confused to as how action potential travels down an axon? If anyone could explain (step by step) how this process occurs, I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.
    My answer depends on whether you are concerned about action potential propagation along an unmyelinated or a myelinated axon. Since you didn't specify anything about myelination or saltatory conduction, I will assume you meant an unmyelinated axon:

An action potential is generated at the axon hillock and is propagated in one direction, from the cell body towards the axon terminals, along the axon. During an action potential, the inside of the cell membrane becomes positively charged with respect to the outside. This action potential generates local currents that tend to depolarise the membrane patch immediately adjacent to the action potential. When depolarisation is sufficiently strong and reaches threshold, a new action potential is produce adjacent to the original one. This action potential is propagated in one direction only because the recently depolarised area of membrane is in absolute refractory period and cannot generate an action potential.

Please review this animation, I think you'll find it very useful in understanding the propagation of an action potential along an unmyelinated axon:

http://highered.mheducation.com/site...ated_axon.html

If you want more information on action potential propagation in a myelinated neuron, please just let me know.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loukas2993)
    My answer depends on whether you are concerned about action potential propagation along an unmyelinated or a myelinated axon. Since you didn't specify anything about myelination or saltatory conduction, I will assume you meant an unmyelinated axon:

An action potential is generated at the axon hillock and is propagated in one direction, from the cell body towards the axon terminals, along the axon. During an action potential, the inside of the cell membrane becomes positively charged with respect to the outside. This action potential generates local currents that tend to depolarise the membrane patch immediately adjacent to the action potential. When depolarisation is sufficiently strong and reaches threshold, a new action potential is produce adjacent to the original one. This action potential is propagated in one direction only because the recently depolarised area of membrane is in absolute refractory period and cannot generate an action potential.

Please review this animation, I think you'll find it very useful in understanding the propagation of an action potential along an unmyelinated axon:

http://highered.mheducation.com/site...ated_axon.html

If you want more information on action potential propagation in a myelinated neuron, please just let me know.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much! That is a brilliant help!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.