Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am very worried about not getting into biomedical science because I won't gonna be able to take full a-level chemistry. My question is would I stand any chance without an A2 chemistry? I am thinking of taking the AS next year. At the moment I am doing biology, psychology, maths and economics. I am hoping to get a decent grade at the end and be in a decent university. I already accepted that I won't be able to get to the top universities. I am in a complete mess right now I don't know what to do..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Your best bet is to have a look at the websites of unis you're interested in applying to to check what their policy is about A level chemistry. I did biochem and I don't think chem was a requirement for my course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Your best bet is to have a look at the websites of unis you're interested in applying to to check what their policy is about A level chemistry. I did biochem and I don't think chem was a requirement for my course.

I have tried to do some googling and some descent universities really don't require chemistry a-levels as they say on there websites. Manchester university says that they need 2 science subjects (bio, chem, maths, physics) and I don't know if I will be quiet competitive for that. Of course I still want to be in one of the best unis. But probably everyone who were accepted there have bio, chem and maths. I will be willing to learn chemistry though no matter what. BTW which university have you been?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ralphsamarista)
    I have tried to do some googling and some descent universities really don't require chemistry a-levels as they say on there websites. Manchester university says that they need 2 science subjects (bio, chem, maths, physics) and I don't know if I will be quiet competitive for that. Of course I still want to be in one of the best unis. But probably everyone who were accepted there have bio, chem and maths. I will be willing to learn chemistry though no matter what. BTW which university have you been?
    Read my sig!

ReputationRep:
    I am in your exact same situation. I committed to my decision not to do AS chemistry last year but on my first day back today they asked if I wanted to do it this year which made me think twice. All I can think is its only an AS so it would only open a couple more doors and I HATE chemistry! I do maths, biology, english language & EPQ (I just dropped Business studies) and pretty much all the Uni's I visited that specified on their website they didn't need chemistry, said it would in no way disadvantage me. The only thing they said was if I struggled with the chemistry side they would help me and give me extra tuition during the first year.
    What did you decide to do in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lindseyw13)
    I am in your exact same situation. I committed to my decision not to do AS chemistry last year but on my first day back today they asked if I wanted to do it this year which made me think twice. All I can think is its only an AS so it would only open a couple more doors and I HATE chemistry! I do maths, biology, english language & EPQ (I just dropped Business studies) and pretty much all the Uni's I visited that specified on their website they didn't need chemistry, said it would in no way disadvantage me. The only thing they said was if I struggled with the chemistry side they would help me and give me extra tuition during the first year.
    What did you decide to do in the end?
    I will not be back until 7th September so I still have time to think. My problem is that I don't want to put my grades at risk because if I take chem, I won't be able fully concentrate on my 3 a2's. I'm worried my uni choices will be more limited if I won't reach my target grades. I decided to take biology degree instead and they only ask me A-level in bio and another science/maths. Probably I'll just stick to my 3 A2's (bio, maths, psychology)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.