Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

No one understands my course watch

Announcements

I'm a second year university student studying computer science..it wasn't the course I applied for - I applied for French Spanish and computer studies but 2 weeks before starting it was cancelled so I went off on one and here I am..

I enjoy the course in general as I find it challenging and I'm a very competitive person, what's getting me down is the fact that I can't talk to anyone in my family about it cause they haven't a clue. My boyfriend is a fully qualified plumber and often I am interested in what he is doing but no one can show any interest in mine as if they do my reply just falls on ears that aren't listening, or that zone out once they hear a word they don't know.

I'm finding it very difficult to handle this. I feel alone and depressed by it. I have friends in my class but they are mere 'get through the course' friends who are friends because I can help them.

Thats probably long enough. There's so much more issues in my life I could bore you with but was wondering if anyone else felt the same way or if they have in the past how they overcome it?

ReputationRep:
    Meh I have the same issue when studying formal logic :L

It just... goes past people.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. I get the same response when I tell people my degree. I almost feel embarrassed or try to avoid the topic when it comes to the topic of uni. I've kinda learnt to just deal with it. If people don't understand the degree, then that's their problem, not yours. So don't feel down about it. Yeah, it sucks that people don't understand what you're spending thousands of pounds on, but what else can you do? I've just gotten over it. Try not to dwell on it too much. It's not worth your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)

What's that, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    What's that, if you don't mind me asking?
    Part of most philosophy departments actually. Often referred to as mathematical logic. Reading set theory quantifiers and so on (http://faculty.swosu.edu/michael.dou.../MD1-4Plus.pdf).

It's the study of deductive proof systems and essentially forms the basis of modern mathematics and computer science.

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~moro.../Sider-Ch1.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Part of most philosophy departments actually. Often referred to as mathematical logic. Reading set theory quantifiers and so on (http://faculty.swosu.edu/michael.dou.../MD1-4Plus.pdf).

It's the study of deductive proof systems and essentially forms the basis of modern mathematics and computer science.

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~moro.../Sider-Ch1.pdf
    Very interesting actually. Good luck with it!

ReputationRep:

Oh, I remember logic. It gets easier the longer you do it tbh, but at the time I absolutely hated it.

OP, I have the same issue with my course more generally (Philosophy and Theology). The issue is that the views of most people on different topics within philosophy and theology differ so radically from what I'm learning, the academic level, that I can't talk much about my work without coming across as patronising. Like trying to talk about different Gospel interpretations, when most people don't have a clue about how they developed and their contexts... etc etc.

I think it's just an inevitable part of degree level work.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.