Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am unsure what options I would like to take for A Level next year where I am hoping to go to a College. At the moment I am definite about taking Mathematics, Computing, and Physics. The last option, the fourth, I am unsure about. I was thinking about taking Politics as I am very interested in politics, but I'm concerned whether I would need to be skilled in the English region, as I do not get good grades with both English Language and Literature. However I don't find it difficult to write about something which I am interested in, as long as it doesn't include over the top word limits and expectations.

A question of mine would be that I would like to know if Politics requires you to write lots, and also if you have to do 'speeches' etc. as I am not to keen on the idea and would like to stick to the theory, so a reply regarding that would be useful.

Other subjects I was thinking about were, further maths, law and economics. Unfortunately I actually don't know that much about these as I haven't properly been informed so if would be nice to know what they included if anyone could?

As you could probably tell from the current choices I am quite interested in the more logical route, so if anyone has any ideas for what career paths I could take then that would also be useful (sorry about the big ask).

Thanks,
    Harrison.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really say much on Politics.

If you do Further Maths and Maths be warned, a lot of your time will be spent studying maths, whether that is enjoyable or not is up to you.

If you're good at maths, it will be a good challenge but possible to do well in, if you struggle it will take a lot of work and motivation.

ReputationRep:
    From your first three and what you've said about logical subjects I suggest further maths.
    You will spend a lot of your time doing maths, but that's not a problem if you enjoy it.
    For maths you will take two set core modules and one applied module of your choice each year. In further maths, you need to take at least one further pure module each year, but the other two modules each year are more further pure or applied modules of your choice.
    So basically, between the two you have the same compulsory 4 core, plus one compulsory further pure plus one further pure of your choice, plus 6 choice modules that are each either further pure or applied.
    In contrast, for just A-level maths, there are 4 compulsory core modules, plus two choice applied modules.

I take/have taken to A2: maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics.

ReputationRep:
    For me, doing Maths and Further Maths really gets you to spend a lot of time in the Maths part of your brain. You get a lot more confident with all Maths quicker because you're doing it all the time! F Maths is also impressive to universities. That said it's definitely harder and more work than any other subject I've ever done. Love it though.

I think I'm like you in that my main interest is for maths/physics but I also liked politics. I did a History AS on top of my other subjects and I liked that because you get to write a nice essay arguing the different impacts of policies and relationships between events etc. I don't do politics myself but I was under the impression (this on NICCEA board) it is more about the structure and working of the political system which did not appeal to me as much as actual events and 'real world' policy. You have to like essay writing though for History. I did and do so that wasn't a problem. Sorry I can't comment on Law or Econ.

With strong A Levels in Maths, F Maths and Physics (Computing would likely factor in here too it's just I never did it so wouldn't know!) nearly any physical science/engineering/computing route will be open to you. Another good one to have is Chemistry as this opens up the rest of the physical sciences and even a lot of biological routes. If you're sure on science but not sure about what I'd suggest taking Chemistry to keep your options wide open.

ReputationRep:
    The benefits of FM appear to have been outlined so I'll skip over that. I personally don't take politics, but a friend of mine does, and they only ever write essays. It's all theory based, and there's no coursework on their exam board (I believe Edexcel), so it's just a couple of essays for the exam.

Economics is not all that mathsy at A-level from what I've heard, but the fact you have maths puts you in a good position should you want to take it further.

Law I know nothing about, but you don't need it for Law at uni and some people consider it a dead end subject.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would not do FM unless you're 100% certain that's what you want. If you do half of your lessons will be maths and physics is very similar to maths as well so 75% of your lessons would be maths. Do you want to do that much maths? Personally doing politics would show you have range academically and you have th ability to formulate an argument and write an essay. Economics would be very similar to that, no real maths ar A level. I wouldn't do law.

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics

Is a great combo to have.

They all complement each other and with them you can go into the top unis for Engineering, Computer Science, Maths, Physics, Economics.

You could still apply for law if you wanted, it's fine.

Only no go is Medicine really.

ReputationRep:
    Do subjects that you enjoy, would be my best advice.

When I came to doing my A-levels, I took Further Maths, Maths, Physics and History. History was the odd one out, and I honestly thought I would drop it after AS.

But you know, things didn't pan out that way. I enjoyed History to such an extent, that it's my degree. Now, looking back, I wish I was more balanced in my AS-choices. Maths and Physics were still good options, but I should have done English at least to AS level to balance things out.

If you take Politics, consider taking history to complement it on that side, and then, you could still have your Maths and Physics. Law and Economics would also lend themselves to studying History and Politics because it's all so inter-twined. Furthermore, there would be a fair bit of crossover in terms of content, and skills which are required for your a-levels.

If I were you, I'd do History, Politics, Economics and and Law, but I liked Physics and Maths. They were really hard, but good a-levels to have. Either of those options really.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Thorsas)
    I think I'm like you in that my main interest is for maths/physics but I also liked politics. I did a History AS on top of my other subjects and I liked that because you get to write a nice essay arguing the different impacts of policies and relationships between events etc. I don't do politics myself but I was under the impression (this on NICCEA board) it is more about the structure and working of the political system which did not appeal to me as much as actual events and 'real world' policy. You have to like essay writing though for History. I did and do so that wasn't a problem. Sorry I can't comment on Law or Econ.
    For NICCEA Politics in AS it's the study of Stormont and Westminster, and you do have to keep up with actual events happening as they make great examples for the exams! It's the same for A2 (which I am currently doing) for political powers/theories and the comparative module of ROI government/American government and Westminster. Politics is a great A Level to have (as is History.)

(Original post by ActualGoat)
    Hello everyone,

I am unsure what options I would like to take for A Level next year where I am hoping to go to a College. At the moment I am definite about taking Mathematics, Computing, and Physics. The last option, the fourth, I am unsure about. I was thinking about taking Politics as I am very interested in politics, but I'm concerned whether I would need to be skilled in the English region, as I do not get good grades with both English Language and Literature. However I don't find it difficult to write about something which I am interested in, as long as it doesn't include over the top word limits and expectations.

A question of mine would be that I would like to know if Politics requires you to write lots, and also if you have to do 'speeches' etc. as I am not to keen on the idea and would like to stick to the theory, so a reply regarding that would be useful.

Other subjects I was thinking about were, further maths, law and economics. Unfortunately I actually don't know that much about these as I haven't properly been informed so if would be nice to know what they included if anyone could?

As you could probably tell from the current choices I am quite interested in the more logical route, so if anyone has any ideas for what career paths I could take then that would also be useful (sorry about the big ask).

Thanks,
    Harrison.
    OP, not once have I been required to do a speech for Politics in class. Yeah, sure, we have to do group presentations from time to time, but that's it, it doesn't count towards the final grade. Which board does your school do for Politics? (Politics and History are the only ones I can talk about.)

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm nowhere near an expert, and am only applying for A levels this year too .. But from what I heard, especially for Cambridge (if you're interested to go there) taking Further Maths and Maths isn't ideal because they treat it as if it's just one subject, they'll only count maths or fm.. Again, another thing I hear is that further maths is "insanely hard" - but ofcourse this all comes down to how much you're willing to put in.. FM is one of the courses where you'll spend hours on end learning content rather, and to do that as well as normal maths, I personally would advise against it .. BUT it all comes down to you, if you enjoy maths in general and are willing to go the extra mile then go for it.. But remember there's a huge jump from GCSE to AS; I've known someone who got an A* in GCSE and dropped maths at A level because they didn't wanna put the effort in. Hope I could help

ReputationRep:
    I take politics and wouldn't recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waqar600)
    But from what I heard, especially for Cambridge (if you're interested to go there) taking Further Maths and Maths isn't ideal because they treat it as if it's just one subject, they'll only count maths or fm..
    I really don't think this is true and is totally misleading.

To quote from the Maths admissions guide: http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ions/guide.pdf

The best advice is to do as much mathematics as possible. The normal minimum requirement for our course is AS-level Further Mathematics (or an equivalent qualication) and most of our students have studied beyond this.
    And see here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ourses/natsci/

If you are doing engineering or physical sciences at Cambridge, I would highly recommend doing further maths if possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    I really don't think this is true and is totally misleading.

To quote from the Maths admissions guide: http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ions/guide.pdf

And see here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ourses/natsci/

If you are doing engineering or physical sciences at Cambridge, I would highly recommend doing further maths if possible.
    You're right I was mistaken :/ Really sorry! It's for Medicine at Cambridge that they don't recognise Maths and Further Maths as two separate A levels, the same way they don't see Biology and Human Biology as two separate ones.. It's either one or the other; but that's only if you're looking to do medicine

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm not sure about what AS levels to take. Well, what other one to take.
    At the moment I am definitely taking: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and History.
    However, I have room for one more.
    I have a choice between:
    Economics, Biology, Physics, Music and Theology.
    Help would be appreciated!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.