Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Africa:clearing up misconceptions! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Soooo hey guys!
    Just thought I'd make a thread where you can ask any questions about what it's like living in an African country as a non-native ,or anything else like that.

Spoiler:
    Show
    no I don't speak African

ReputationRep:
    What is literacy like? Do Africans write poetry?

ReputationRep:
    What country do you live in?

ReputationRep:
    We see on the TV the amount of people that don't have jobs and spend all their time trying to find food and water for their children, how much is that a true conception of central Africa as opposed to what the TV tells us?
    Basically how naive am I?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is it with Africans and Chicken seriously? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    What is literacy like? Do Africans write poetry?
    Varies from country to country,and from education system to education system. French is the main language used where i live(Côte d'Ivoire) however English is taught in schools.

There are many great African poets and writers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    What country do you live in?
    Ivory Coast/Côte d'Ivoire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    Varies from country to country,and from education system to education system. French is the main language used where i live(Côte d'Ivoire) however English is taught in schools.

There are many great African poets and writers!
    Curious, are these poems retained orally or are most of them written, and if so how are they distributed?

ReputationRep:
    Ivory Coast/Côte d'Ivoire
    Have you lived there your whole life? What would you say are the positives/negatives about living there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RussMack)
    We see on the TV the amount of people that don't have jobs and spend all their time trying to find food and water for their children, how much is that a true conception of central Africa as opposed to what the TV tells us?
    Basically how naive am I?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends. Obviously I can't generalise, but based on my experiences, you find that (not surprisingly) in the more remote parts of African countries are some deprived places...but obviously not all of Africa is like that. African countries can have great urban cities,you'd be surprised.For e.g this is an area in Abidjan(Côte d'ivoire )where i live.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Plat...iw=320&bih=372 .. Whereas other areas probably look like what you see in those adverts

ReputationRep:
    Curious, are these poems retained orally or are most of them written, and if so how are they distributed?
    Africans aren't illiterate you know lol. Most modern forms of African literature is written. Published in books etc.
    I'm sure a quick google search will bring up some works by African poets and writers

ReputationRep:
    Africans aren't illiterate you know lol. Most modern forms of African literature is written. Published in books etc.
    I'm sure a quick google search will bring up some works by African poets and writers
    I know they're not illiterate but what's the printing press like lol?

ReputationRep:
    Speak on behalf of your country, not Africa. You don't know what it's really like for us. You probably live in those little rich urban areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Speak on behalf of your country, not Africa. You don't know what it's really like for us. You probably live in those little rich urban areas.
    I would like to know, can you answer my questions as well ?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know, can you answer my questions as well ?
    What questions?

ReputationRep:
    What questions?
    What is the literary culture like in Africa? Does Africa have any interesting literature that is not available to most due to restrictions, etc.

ReputationRep:
    What is the literary culture like in Africa? Does Africa have any interesting literature that is not available to most due to restrictions, etc.
    I wouldn't know. Not an area of my interest.

ReputationRep:
    Where relevant, I've stated in my replies that i answer from experience, and that my responses can't be generalised to the whole continent(obviously.) Not my intention to cause any offence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Have you lived there your whole life? What would you say are the positives/negatives about living there?
    My whole life minus two years.

Positives- African people are great! I've visited quite a few countries and maybe I'm biased, but they are generally the most friendly and warm. I find that there is something about the people in West Africa, that makes almost any activity involving human interaction enjoyable.
    Weather is bliss(most of the time.) A lot of culture.. I could go on

Negatives- sometimes slow internet speeds, the postal service steal half the things I order lol!, traffic.. even though I don't drive yet.

ReputationRep:
    How long have your family been there?Do you only hang out with other foreigners, or do you have black friends?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.