Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would it be weird to become a vegetarian in your 20s? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If I did become a vegetarian the people may ask stuff like why didn't you become one earlier well the reason is I was brought up thinking eating meat is ok but I dunno, I just don't feel comfortable with it & keep on thinking whether it's morally right for humans to kill animal for food when it isn't essential for survival. I'm worried that people will suddenly dislike me if I become one & I know that the majority aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    If I did become a vegetarian the people may ask stuff like why didn't you become one earlier well the reason is I was brought up thinking eating meat is ok but I dunno, I just don't feel comfortable with it & keep on thinking whether it's morally right for humans to kill animal for food when it isn't essential for survival. I'm worried that people will suddenly dislike me if I become one & I know that the majority aren't.
    lol if people suddenly dislike you for not support animal cruelty then you don't need them in your life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacksonmeg)
    lol if people suddenly dislike you for not support animal cruelty then you don't need them in your life
    Well we would have a difference in opinion in the morality in this particular topic but other things we would probably agree with, so yeah I think it would be harsh if people disliked me as person because of that or took the mick. I still worry some might do though :erm:

ReputationRep:
    If you want to become a vegetarian now then go for it. People will obviously ask why you've changed your mind and it's possible they may not seem too keen on it. In my experience when people find out I'm veggie it's usually followed by asking why and then usually they end up saying how they don't agree with it and how we were born to eat meat and how I wont get enough protein. It can be quite annoying sometimes but I guess it just depends on who you speak to. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I wouldn't let other people's views on your decision alter it because ultimately it's up to you and how you feel about your diet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say so. You may get questions about it, but I don't see that as a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

ReputationRep:
    Meat is good. It's tasty. It's healthy. It's one of the very best sources of nutrition. Animals were created so that we may consume their meat. Don't become a vegetarian, there's no point. It's not gonna make you cool or quirky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you don't feel comfortable eating meat then don't do it. If you don't enjoy it, don't you think it's a shame an animal has had to die? This was the reason I gave up meat 5 years ago; I didn't particularly like it and thought it was probably not right morally, and yet I ate it - where's the logic in that?

As others have said, if people dislike you because you're vegetarian then that's their problem. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone that felt that way anyway. I'm actually vegan now, and the only thing that annoys me is that people always assume you must not be getting all the nutrients you need. It's like you say you're vegan and they suddenly become dieticians (and, more often than not, actually eat a lot of junk themselves). Still, it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    bare weird

ReputationRep:
    I became a vegetarian several years ago. I still get the 'why' question, and it gets a bit awkward if people forget that you're a vegetarian, but just point it out gently and you'll be fine.

Most people don't mind, and are accommodating towards me, and I don't see anything weird in becoming a vegetarian later in life.

ReputationRep:
    i became a veggie age 18

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illegal Algebra)
    Meat is good. It's tasty. It's healthy. It's one of the very best sources of nutrition. Animals were created so that we may consume their meat. Don't become a vegetarian, there's no point. It's not gonna make you cool or quirky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ECEf0_nQcI

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quiet arrogant human.

@OP You are allowed to change your mind about things and frankly what others think is not really that important.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously what is the point in depriving yourself of such high quality nutrition and amazing flavours out of some misplaced sense of compassion. It's laughable. While you're at it, why not sew your eyelids shut and become asexual and deprive yourself of all things good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its weird, good on you.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously what is the point in depriving yourself of such high quality nutrition and amazing flavours out of some misplaced sense of compassion. It's laughable. While you're at it, why not sew your eyelids shut and become asexual and deprive yourself of all things good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    animals aren't just alive so we can eat them. believe it or not humans are not important and don't deserve the suffering of awful conditions and killing of millions of animals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)

I didn't become a vegetarian until I was 14. You get asked things like 'Why did you suddenly turn veggie?', 'How do you get enough protein?', 'Do you dislike people who eat meat?' ect. Occasionally you'll get the odd moron who outright says that it's okay to murder animals and eat them, but you just have to be prepared to stand up for what you believe in.
    People definitely won't dislike you for being veggie, and if they do then they aren't worth being around.
    Good luck with it! I've been vegetarian for 5 years now and I don't miss meat at all.

ReputationRep:
    I have been a vegetarian for just over a year now, the most common question I get is "Don't you miss meat/bacon?". My family were a bit surprised but otherwise were quite accommodating. I didn't lose any friends (or come close to doing so) and I even became closer friends with some fellow vegetarians/vegans. Make whatever changes to your lifestyle that you want, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd hardly call an aversion to the killing and abuse of living creatures 'misplaced'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.