Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

I'm still not sure if this was a great idea or not. But the moment I saw the hyperlink for this "Grow your Grades" melarky, my thumbs began to dance with an odd excitement. Looks like my second-to-none skills of idle browsing on The Student Room found me on something that could help me out of the academic rut I always found myself in at this time of year. So I clicked. And well, here I am.

So, as we usually start with in a case study of any kind, we need the background facts, no? So my name's Anneka, and I'm a 17 year old who's having the absolute time of her life wrestling herself through what feels like pages and pages of Chemistry "help" (my school's Chemistry department's motto seems to be 'GIVE THEM A SHED LOAD OF WORK AND SOMEHOW THEY'LL UNDERSTAND') and keeping my head afloat. Okay, that might just be an exaggeration.

But seriously, my young grasshopper friends in Y12 and below, don't pull an Anne. Procrastinating to the extent that I do is dangerous. Playing Pokemon when I should be revising the correct use of the pH equation? Squealing over fictitious "Oppas" and "Eonnies" getting together in the newest K drama instead of brushing up on my awful Stats skills? Not a wise idea. By the time I realised I wasn't on track for those As I wanted for AS and started panic-revising, it was too late. And I can't afford for that to happen this year, so I felt like reading other people's techniques for Breaking Procrastination and everyone's goals for the self would inspire me to get my ass out of bed and work!

So, TL;DR:
    -Anneka, currently A2 year, wants to get into med school 2016 (Exeter, UCL, Imperial, Liverpool I'm thinking so far, probably going to change tomorrow)
    -AS LEVELS (my UMS might be one or two off I'm not actually looking at my certifs rn soz)

A Biology [256 UMS] (I guess this is supposed to be the subject I'm alright at)
    A Chemistry [244 UMS] (I worked pretty damn hard on this [last minute], should have got higher UMS)
    B Maths [232 UMS] (Still bloody kicking myself about this one)
    B English Literature (Dropped, idek my UMS here bahahahaha)

-Hoping to achieve A*A*A in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Because there is no way in hell I'm getting an A* in Maths sigh

I'm going to try and put something up at least twice a week. Just not this week. I've gotta :cram: study for my mocks next week -nervous laughter-
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by AnnekaChan173)
    Oh dear.

I'm still not sure if this was a great idea or not. But the moment I saw the hyperlink for this "Grow your Grades" melarky, my thumbs began to dance with an odd excitement. Looks like my second-to-none skills of idle browsing on The Student Room found me on something that could help me out of the academic rut I always found myself in at this time of year. So I clicked. And well, here I am.

So, as we usually start with in a case study of any kind, we need the background facts, no? So my name's Anneka, and I'm a 17 year old who's having the absolute time of her life wrestling herself through what feels like pages and pages of Chemistry "help" (my school's Chemistry department's motto seems to be 'GIVE THEM A SHED LOAD OF WORK AND SOMEHOW THEY'LL UNDERSTAND') and keeping my head afloat. Okay, that might just be an exaggeration.

But seriously, my young grasshopper friends in Y12 and below, don't pull an Anne. Procrastinating to the extent that I do is dangerous. Playing Pokemon when I should be revising the correct use of the pH equation? Squealing over fictitious "Oppas" and "Eonnies" getting together in the newest K drama instead of brushing up on my awful Stats skills? Not a wise idea. By the time I realised I wasn't on track for those As I wanted for AS and started panic-revising, it was too late. And I can't afford for that to happen this year, so I felt like reading other people's techniques for Breaking Procrastination and everyone's goals for the self would inspire me to get my ass out of bed and work!

So, TL;DR:
    -Anneka, currently A2 year, wants to get into med school 2016 (Exeter, UCL, Imperial, Liverpool I'm thinking so far, probably going to change tomorrow)
    -AS LEVELS (my UMS might be one or two off I'm not actually looking at my certifs rn soz)

A Biology [256 UMS] (I guess this is supposed to be the subject I'm alright at)
    A Chemistry [244 UMS] (I worked pretty damn hard on this [last minute], should have got higher UMS)
    B Maths [232 UMS] (Still bloody kicking myself about this one)
    B English Literature (Dropped, idek my UMS here bahahahaha)

-Hoping to achieve A*A*A in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Because there is no way in hell I'm getting an A* in Maths sigh

I'm going to try and put something up at least twice a week. Just not this week. I've gotta :cram: study for my mocks next week -nervous laughter-
    Hey, thought I'd see how things are with you - how did your mocks go in the end? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hey, thought I'd see how things are with you - how did your mocks go in the end? :eek3:
    Awful! Two As and a U in maths. I'm literally still trying to pick up the pieces :/

I just wished I worked harder haha D:

My half term bombed - I spent the majority of my time doing work experience, and was way too tired to revise, so I ended up snap chatting pictures of my work. So lesson number one is definitely either delete Snapchat, or keep the app closed. I think I'll have to delete, because I have the self-control abilities of a toddler in a sweet shop :/

So my grandma is coming (meaning I'll have to spend over two weeks out of my room, which is where I primarily study ahhh) so I've set myself some new goals.

Finish Biology/Chemistry notes by week before Easter. So I can BLITZ exam questions, as technique seems to be where I'm going wrong.
    Learn S2 topics week by week.

To make up for last week I've been to the library a lot more recently, and spent a lot more time rereading and writing up notes, which has been good, and I apparently got full marks in one of my Biology practicals (internal screaming because this is where I flopped last year)

So it's not all bad news!

ReputationRep:
    I procrastanate to the point where I think that the only time to do school work is when I arrive half an hour early some mornings when it's due in first lesson, I talk in most my frees yet at the same time I do lots of 'enrichment' Lectures/taster days and will spend a lot of time on one task even though I could do it in a shorter time because it's intresting. Did my mocks first week back in January 2 Bs-Politics;physics, 1D lit 1E History(aim 4 As at AS). I think it's about finding a way to complete tasks in a way you enjoy rather than just making yourself do them because you feel you have to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michael90cr)
    I procrastanate to the point where I think that the only time to do school work is when I arrive half an hour early some mornings when it's due in first lesson, I talk in most my frees yet at the same time I do lots of 'enrichment' Lectures/taster days and will spend a lot of time on one task even though I could do it in a shorter time because it's intresting. Did my mocks first week back in January 2 Bs-Politics;physics, 1D lit 1E History(aim 4 As at AS). I think it's about finding a way to complete tasks in a way you enjoy rather than just making yourself do them because you feel you have to
    It's okay, you aren't alone! I'm doing a rewards thing myself. Because I basically live in Costa and I love having a friend with me, studying with a friend works for me, as long as we don't get too off topic. I think as we get closer, I'm becoming more motivated to work on something myself, which is good. I went to loads of lectures etc last year too, and talked loads in my frees too haha!

About my goals, I finished my Biology and Chemistry Unit 4 Notes~~~~
    :bl::bl::bl::bl::bl:

Really buzzing about this, it means I'm on track for my Easter goals as long as I work at the rate I have been. I'm half way through a module in both Bio and Chem, so I am getting somewhere. Ooooooo.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm in a similar position to you! Desperate to do dentistry but sadly couldn't apply this year, so hoping to pull my grades up.
    But I swear to god I have lost all my motivation and I just procrastinate so much, that literally in the time I was procrastinating, I couldn't probably finished all my notes and everything.
    Ugh why must a level life be so hard.
    Anyway nice to meet you! I'm Nishu How are your A-levels going?
    I had a S2 mock today and I just know I completelllly flopped it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nishuchh)
    Hey!

I'm in a similar position to you! Desperate to do dentistry but sadly couldn't apply this year, so hoping to pull my grades up.
    But I swear to god I have lost all my motivation and I just procrastinate so much, that literally in the time I was procrastinating, I couldn't probably finished all my notes and everything.
    Ugh why must a level life be so hard.
    Anyway nice to meet you! I'm Nishu How are your A-levels going?
    I had a S2 mock today and I just know I completelllly flopped it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    WE CAN DO IT!!
    It's all motivation and finding a good memorising mechanism. I'm having a slump too (hence why I've been so active on TSR recently) which is okay. Everyone has them. Don't beat yourself up for not revising all the time, you need time for breaks, to chill out...
    We just need to find ways to bring us back up. Mine is the ability to say a huge "**** you" on results day to mainly my maths teacher for not giving me a prediction. Honestly. I can't stand her.

A little slow recently, I've been battling illness recently and this horrible slump. I think I overworked myself when my grandma was here (library everyday more or less, from 4 until 8, way too much for three weeks if you also have school), but I guess it worked, since I know quite a bit more and I've finished my chemistry notes, and the majority of my biology notes. But I'll get back up, I have to eventually good luck! Hopefully it went well, S2 is honestly a bit of a trainwreck. What did you get at AS, and where are you applying if you get the grades?

ReputationRep:
    WE CAN DO IT!!
    It's all motivation and finding a good memorising mechanism. I'm having a slump too (hence why I've been so active on TSR recently) which is okay. Everyone has them. Don't beat yourself up for not revising all the time, you need time for breaks, to chill out...
    We just need to find ways to bring us back up. Mine is the ability to say a huge "**** you" on results day to mainly my maths teacher for not giving me a prediction. Honestly. I can't stand her.

A little slow recently, I've been battling illness recently and this horrible slump. I think I overworked myself when my grandma was here (library everyday more or less, from 4 until 8, way too much for three weeks if you also have school), but I guess it worked, since I know quite a bit more and I've finished my chemistry notes, and the majority of my biology notes. But I'll get back up, I have to eventually good luck! Hopefully it went well, S2 is honestly a bit of a trainwreck. What did you get at AS, and where are you applying if you get the grades?

Yep! You're right! we just need to revise efficiently.
    Yeahh omg me too, I got BBBC last year (chem, bio, maths and sociology) and my school predicted me BBB. I was quite far off, like my closest was 10UMS in maths but I swear any normal school would predict you an A? Even if you weren't to get it, it gives you something higher to aim for. Don't you agree? HAAAATE MY SCHOOL!
    Anyway let's move on from that.
    Oh that sucks! hope you get well soon then! But that sounds great at least you're on top of your revision now.
    Yeahhhh, some S2 papers are totally fine but then some are just so f'ed up. But I'm pretty sure the paper I did today was either one my school made up with all the hard questions, or some people were saying it was the international paper?!
    So yeah, I got BBBC last year, and obvi hoping to get AAA lol. I'm retaking a unit from each of my subjects eventhough I dropped sociology cause I can't leave that at a C. If I get the grades, I'd apply to Kings College, Queen Mary's, and probably Bristol and Cardiff but not too sure. the first two are my top choices.

How about yourself? how did you do last year and where do you want to apply? Also did you apply to uni this year or not? And if yes what did you apply for/where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    WE CAN DO IT!!

Oh whoops I just re-read your first post and saw your grades. you did so good! Do you want to give me any tips? Haha. Also what exam board do you use for each subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep! You're right! we just need to revise efficiently.
    Yeahh omg me too, I got BBBC last year (chem, bio, maths and sociology) and my school predicted me BBB. I was quite far off, like my closest was 10UMS in maths but I swear any normal school would predict you an A? Even if you weren't to get it, it gives you something higher to aim for. Don't you agree? HAAAATE MY SCHOOL!
    Anyway let's move on from that.
    Oh that sucks! hope you get well soon then! But that sounds great at least you're on top of your revision now.
    Yeahhhh, some S2 papers are totally fine but then some are just so f'ed up. But I'm pretty sure the paper I did today was either one my school made up with all the hard questions, or some people were saying it was the international paper?!
    So yeah, I got BBBC last year, and obvi hoping to get AAA lol. I'm retaking a unit from each of my subjects eventhough I dropped sociology cause I can't leave that at a C. If I get the grades, I'd apply to Kings College, Queen Mary's, and probably Bristol and Cardiff but not too sure. the first two are my top choices.

How about yourself? how did you do last year and where do you want to apply? Also did you apply to uni this year or not? And if yes what did you apply for/where?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You did well! I saw people actually apply with those at AS ok!
    AABB (OCR for errythang - Bio, Chem, Maths, Edexcel English Lit). I had very mixed feelings on results day, I had correctly predicted my grades (except maths, which I hoped because my UMS was quite close, I'd get the prediction for an A). My school are the bloody same. The main reason my Biology wasn't higher is because I failed my practicals (I got a C fml, dropping so many marks) and they know I'm ok at Chemistry. Maths, I was 7 UMS away. September was so frustrating for me, because I thought I was going to apply, and then I didn't, because my school more or less tried to make out that my grades were really ****ty and that I wouldn't stand much of a chance, which seriously hurt my confidence. That's why all of us who want to improve our grades need to stick together, because we need to show them that we can. And aw thanks!! People tell me it's good and I still can't really bring myself to believe it haha
    /hopefilledspeech
    Thank you! I'm by no means ahead, but I've caught up a little!
    My school does the same thing again sweet Jesus I get like Us but it's not because I don't know anything it's because they use the hard questions. I really can't fail maths though. Maths cannot be the thing between me and medical school. Not again.

I personally didn't like KCL but apparently it's great for Dent! I'm really hoping you get those grades, and if you have any Bio/Chem questions, fire them away

I think my choices now are Cambridge (Unattainable/Aspirational), Exeter, BSMS, UCL/Imperial/Leeds and Liverpool. I need to go and visit Leeds to decide did you apply this year for anything?

ReputationRep:
    You did well! I saw people actually apply with those at AS ok!
    AABB (OCR for errythang - Bio, Chem, Maths, Edexcel English Lit). I had very mixed feelings on results day, I had correctly predicted my grades (except maths, which I hoped because my UMS was quite close, I'd get the prediction for an A). My school are the bloody same. The main reason my Biology wasn't higher is because I failed my practicals (I got a C fml, dropping so many marks) and they know I'm ok at Chemistry. Maths, I was 7 UMS away. September was so frustrating for me, because I thought I was going to apply, and then I didn't, because my school more or less tried to make out that my grades were really ****ty and that I wouldn't stand much of a chance, which seriously hurt my confidence. That's why all of us who want to improve our grades need to stick together, because we need to show them that we can. And aw thanks!! People tell me it's good and I still can't really bring myself to believe it haha
    /hopefilledspeech
    Thank you! I'm by no means ahead, but I've caught up a little!
    My school does the same thing again sweet Jesus I get like Us but it's not because I don't know anything it's because they use the hard questions. I really can't fail maths though. Maths cannot be the thing between me and medical school. Not again.

I personally didn't like KCL but apparently it's great for Dent! I'm really hoping you get those grades, and if you have any Bio/Chem questions, fire them away

I think my choices now are Cambridge (Unattainable/Aspirational), Exeter, BSMS, UCL/Imperial/Leeds and Liverpool. I need to go and visit Leeds to decide did you apply this year for anything?
    No way?! What did they apply for? You mean like dentistry or med? Did they get in?
    Aww, don't be sad! You did realllly good, seriously. A lot of people mess up first year reaaaallly badly, and considering you took some pretty hard af subs, u did really good ooooh, how is OCR chem? I do aqa for chem and edexcel for maths, only for bio I do OCR and I hate it so much.
    Wwwoooow, I can't believe they didn't predict you an A in maths! That's ridiculous!!!! You got As in the two main subs, and if you were predicted A then that would have been fine. But yeah you're totally right. There's nothing we can do now but to get those 3As and prove them wrong 💪💪
    Ahhhh ikr, it's good in one way bc we know the real exam won't possibly be as hard as that but it's annoying because it's supposed to help us feel more confident if we've revised and it just does the opposite.
    Thank you so much! I really really hope you do as well Well basically for biology, I find the papers really hard. Generally I know the content, but I just don't know what the question is asking me, or how to answer it/what to say. But tbh I've just ordered that CGP revision book so I'm gonna be ploughing through all the questions in that during Easter! As for chem, last year I had 2 really bad teachers, and this year I have one 1 good teacher, so I'm hoping everything will be better. But OMG. The organic side is sooooo long. Like having to remember all the pathways, like mate calmmmmm down, I have 10 other exams as well 😥😔
    Oh no don't say that! You never know, you could get in you seem very committed! And unis acc like gap years, so if you use it well and get the grades then there's nothing in the way of you going to Cambridge a lot of my friends are going to imperial for med this year. Lol those brainboxes!
    I applied for dental hygiene and therapy this year. I've got 2 offers so far which I'm really happy about because they literally have like 20 places per year. Haha but Idk why but it's just made me want to do dentistry even more. I applied just incase I don't get the grades, so at least I won't have to take a forced gap year. but I really hope I get the grades and can take a gap year Did you apply to anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No way?! What did they apply for? You mean like dentistry or med? Did they get in?
    Aww, don't be sad! You did realllly good, seriously. A lot of people mess up first year reaaaallly badly, and considering you took some pretty hard af subs, u did really good ooooh, how is OCR chem? I do aqa for chem and edexcel for maths, only for bio I do OCR and I hate it so much.
    Wwwoooow, I can't believe they didn't predict you an A in maths! That's ridiculous!!!! You got As in the two main subs, and if you were predicted A then that would have been fine. But yeah you're totally right. There's nothing we can do now but to get those 3As and prove them wrong
    Ahhhh ikr, it's good in one way bc we know the real exam won't possibly be as hard as that but it's annoying because it's supposed to help us feel more confident if we've revised and it just does the opposite.
    Thank you so much! I really really hope you do as well Well basically for biology, I find the papers really hard. Generally I know the content, but I just don't know what the question is asking me, or how to answer it/what to say. But tbh I've just ordered that CGP revision book so I'm gonna be ploughing through all the questions in that during Easter! As for chem, last year I had 2 really bad teachers, and this year I have one 1 good teacher, so I'm hoping everything will be better. But OMG. The organic side is sooooo long. Like having to remember all the pathways, like mate calmmmmm down, I have 10 other exams as well
    Oh no don't say that! You never know, you could get in you seem very committed! And unis acc like gap years, so if you use it well and get the grades then there's nothing in the way of you going to Cambridge a lot of my friends are going to imperial for med this year. Lol those brainboxes!
    I applied for dental hygiene and therapy this year. I've got 2 offers so far which I'm really happy about because they literally have like 20 places per year. Haha but Idk why but it's just made me want to do dentistry even more. I applied just incase I don't get the grades, so at least I won't have to take a forced gap year. but I really hope I get the grades and can take a gap year Did you apply to anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For med, and I think they have one offer... It's all about picking the right uni to apply to, isn't it?
    I'm 110% done with all the **** we need to know for Bio. OCR just want to **** all of us over and that's just not what I need right now... isn't AQA Chem supposed to basically be impossible?! same thing with Edexcel maths.
    Exactly ayyyyyyy I like you already gotta get dem A*s ygmygm
    True, but it makes us panic but we're not actually as bad as we think, I just wish they were more honest in the first place.
    Lol my chemistry department is nonexistent, I basically use Chemguide for everything. I've pretty much taught myself this is such a sad life. I want a good teacher bahahaha! What's it like? See I find organic easier than inorganic because me and thermodynamics have never really got along. Draw the mechanisms over and over. Or find a method to derive it. I forgot the mechanism for reduction of carbonyls, but because I remembered how there is a OH- formed, I knew the O- had taken a H+ from water, so I was able to rework it through. Sometimes just knowing the products is a great thing haha!
    Omg 7 of my mates are going to UCL and I think 3/4 to Imperial. For med. And I'm basically a potato right now I've done nothing but run after consultants and drink tea oh **** I'm so gonna fail
    Cambridge is definitely a dream ahaha, but I love the college and tutorial system, but I just don't know if I'll measure up. Wait 10 exams are you retaking?
    Ooooh well done! Where did you get those offers for?

EXACTLY. Having this time out has actually made me so sure that I want to do medicine, and really wanting to do med/dentistry really comes through in your personal statement and your interviews! We'll be a year older and a lot more mature, with a year of work and play. What else could we ask for hahaha!

ReputationRep:
    For med, and I think they have one offer... It's all about picking the right uni to apply to, isn't it?
    I'm 110% done with all the **** we need to know for Bio. OCR just want to **** all of us over and that's just not what I need right now... isn't AQA Chem supposed to basically be impossible?! same thing with Edexcel maths.
    Exactly ayyyyyyy I like you already í ½í¸‚ gotta get dem A*s ygmygm
    True, but it makes us panic but we're not actually as bad as we think, I just wish they were more honest in the first place.
    Lol my chemistry department is nonexistent, I basically use Chemguide for everything. I've pretty much taught myself this is such a sad life. I want a good teacher bahahaha! What's it like? See I find organic easier than inorganic because me and thermodynamics have never really got along. Draw the mechanisms over and over. Or find a method to derive it. I forgot the mechanism for reduction of carbonyls, but because I remembered how there is a OH- formed, I knew the O- had taken a H+ from water, so I was able to rework it through. Sometimes just knowing the products is a great thing haha!
    Omg 7 of my mates are going to UCL and I think 3/4 to Imperial. For med. And I'm basically a potato right now I've done nothing but run after consultants and drink tea oh **** I'm so gonna fail
    Cambridge is definitely a dream ahaha, but I love the college and tutorial system, but I just don't know if I'll measure up. Wait 10 exams are you retaking?
    Ooooh well done! Where did you get those offers for?

EXACTLY. Having this time out has actually made me so sure that I want to do medicine, and really wanting to do med/dentistry really comes through in your personal statement and your interviews! We'll be a year older and a lot more mature, with a year of work and play. What else could we ask for hahaha!
    OMG that's craycray! Damn they must have been borderline As then???!? Also, I'm totally up for Skype discussion for bio! I feel like the best way to learn all of the F214 and F215 shhit is to talk about it! Also I need help with F211, I know it's supposed to be the easiest one but I still fail it lol
    But yeaaaahhhh, I am with you on that one. Just finished gene technology and honestly wtf was that topic all about? Hmm, I would say AQA chem is alright, sometimes ques repeat but tbh my papers last yr were hard af 😭 and I swear most of the country does edexcel maths? LOL or maybe I'm just being totally ignorant haha.
    Ayyyy! Same I like you too haha. We have to do it! Seriously D
    OMG me too tho, like I joined this school last year and it's a grammar school so I was like OMG yeaahhhhh, but it's the shhitiest place ever and honestly I made the biggest mistake ever by coming here 😭 the teachers are so selective and favour the old girls over us new ones, and they don't even try to get to know us. Seriously. It's so crap. And they're sooooo discouraging omg just hate them alllll!!!
    Yeah me too, had to teach all of chem to myself last year 😭 omg but u got an A! That's so good!!!!!
    Ohhhh I can help you with that stuff, thermochemicals/ born-haber cycles and all that shizz if we Skype call cause I had the good teacher for that topic and maybe u can help me with organic, but tbh that's all memorising 😭😭😭
    Yeah retaking 4 exams 😭 sorry my reply is a bit rushed, still on my phone lol cause my laptop is ancient haha.
    I got offers from Cardiff and Bham.
    I'm guessing you didn't apply?!?

And Yeahh Ikr! It's motivated me even more, just so so so worried about getting As now. I guess we just have to believe in ourselves and work our asssses off!!💪💪😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also don't give up on that Cambridge dream! You never know what could happen but you have to have like amazing GCSEs, but you probably already know that haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Just looking at that original post where you talked about Snapchat, I have a reaaaal problem with staying off my phone when I'm revising but there's this app called Forest which I use - you set it for half hour blocks of time and for every half hour you stay on that app you grow a tree, but if you leave that screen then the tree dies and it's been a really good incentive for me to stay off Tumblr/Facebook/Snapchat etc. as well as helping me keep track of how long I've been revising for

I've applied for Medicine this year (rejected from Cambridge after interview, offers from Exeter, Cardiff & Nottingham) so I have something to work for and god it's the motivation I needed :') sounds like you're looking at Cambridge and Exeter so I can answer any questions about them and general med stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aLittleBookWorm)
    Hey! Just looking at that original post where you talked about Snapchat, I have a reaaaal problem with staying off my phone when I'm revising but there's this app called Forest which I use - you set it for half hour blocks of time and for every half hour you stay on that app you grow a tree, but if you leave that screen then the tree dies and it's been a really good incentive for me to stay off Tumblr/Facebook/Snapchat etc. as well as helping me keep track of how long I've been revising for

I've applied for Medicine this year (rejected from Cambridge after interview, offers from Exeter, Cardiff & Nottingham) so I have something to work for and god it's the motivation I needed :') sounds like you're looking at Cambridge and Exeter so I can answer any questions about them and general med stuff!
    Hey! Haha this reply wasn't to me but anyway. Lol I just got the app! It's probably one of the first apps I've got which I've paid for 😂 haha
    Anyway do you mind if I ask you what exam boards you use for your subjects?
    Also congratz on your offers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also don't give up on that Cambridge dream! You never know what could happen but you have to have like amazing GCSEs, but you probably already know that haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You actually don't need amazing GCSEs for Cambridge, but it helps. They base a lot more on AS UMS actually, their GCSE score is actually capped. -nods-

Omg teach me your ways! Well done! Snap chat is always an issue! Same here, it's a motivation, but sometimes I get burnt out, so I've just got to balance it all. Which are you going to firm?

OMG that's craycray! Damn they must have been borderline As then???!? Also, I'm totally up for Skype discussion for bio! I feel like the best way to learn all of the F214 and F215 shhit is to talk about it! Also I need help with F211, I know it's supposed to be the easiest one but I still fail it lol
    But yeaaaahhhh, I am with you on that one. Just finished gene technology and honestly wtf was that topic all about? Hmm, I would say AQA chem is alright, sometimes ques repeat but tbh my papers last yr were hard af and I swear most of the country does edexcel maths? LOL or maybe I'm just being totally ignorant haha.
    Ayyyy! Same I like you too haha. We have to do it! Seriously D
    OMG me too tho, like I joined this school last year and it's a grammar school so I was like OMG yeaahhhhh, but it's the shhitiest place ever and honestly I made the biggest mistake ever by coming here the teachers are so selective and favour the old girls over us new ones, and they don't even try to get to know us. Seriously. It's so crap. And they're sooooo discouraging omg just hate them alllll!!!
    Yeah me too, had to teach all of chem to myself last year omg but u got an A! That's so good!!!!!
    Ohhhh I can help you with that stuff, thermochemicals/ born-haber cycles and all that shizz if we Skype call cause I had the good teacher for that topic and maybe u can help me with organic, but tbh that's all memorising
    Yeah retaking 4 exams sorry my reply is a bit rushed, still on my phone lol cause my laptop is ancient haha.
    I got offers from Cardiff and Bham.
    I'm guessing you didn't apply?!?

And Yeahh Ikr! It's motivated me even more, just so so so worried about getting As now. I guess we just have to believe in ourselves and work our asssses off!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They were, they were. I know right!? All my friends did Edexcel last year too. No one does OCR so I'm all alone ah, sorry for the late reply by the way!!
    Grammar schools are ****ty like that, I should have left earlier. Hahaha, it sounds like you're describing my school tbh! I think they're all like that. So honestly you're not alone. Mine just like those smart Oxbridge people. The rest of us don't matter. We have a maths teacher who can't teach for example, and they said "Oh, the girls can just get tutors". We come to school for a reason, my grades are not banter.
    It's fine, I'm on my tablet! Ooooh please teach me all of that, because I'm so clueless about all of Energetics bahahahaha! Organic just came easier to me, maybe because I like biochemistry. I can help if you want! I can send you my skype
    Oh god, I'm redoing both maths, pretty sure I can get my 90s now in both. Which exams are you redoing?
    Well done you!! Which is your firm? I didn't apply, no, I was discouraged. Should have tbh. But oh well, hopefully I'll have a greater chance of getting offers when I apply.
    I started doing practice questions in Bio today and I swear I had heart palpitations. I don't remember anything. (((

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Haha this reply wasn't to me but anyway. Lol I just got the app! It's probably one of the first apps I've got which I've paid for ������ haha
    Anyway do you mind if I ask you what exam boards you use for your subjects?
    Also congratz on your offers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah cool! I don't remember having to pay for it but I don't remember what I had for breakfast so that doesn't say much :')
    I'm OCR for Chemistry and WJEC for Maths and Bio, don't know if that's any help! :')

Omg teach me your ways! Well done! Snap chat is always an issue! Same here, it's a motivation, but sometimes I get burnt out, so I've just got to balance it all. Which are you going to firm?
    Hahah, honestly don't know how I got them to be honest, Exeter was the only one where I felt confident coming out of the interview (and god I knew I'd messed up the Cambridge when I got out) :') I'm gonna firm Exeter and I'm really not sure between Cardiff and Nottingham for insurance - I really like both courses, I'm so torn! Hopefully it won't matter which one as long as I get my grades for Exeter haha :')

Trying not to burn out is horrible and so important - I burnt out completely last year, I wasn't sleeping so I wasn't working properly, so I got more stressed and slept even worse horrible vicious circle, I do not recommend it :') feeling a lot better this summer though, I actually made a revision table for the first time ever and I'm sticking to it pretty well for once - it's keeping me on track so fingers crossed things stay like this!!

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool! I don't remember having to pay for it but I don't remember what I had for breakfast so that doesn't say much :')
    I'm OCR for Chemistry and WJEC for Maths and Bio, don't know if that's any help! :')

Hahah, honestly don't know how I got them to be honest, Exeter was the only one where I felt confident coming out of the interview (and god I knew I'd messed up the Cambridge when I got out) :') I'm gonna firm Exeter and I'm really not sure between Cardiff and Nottingham for insurance - I really like both courses, I'm so torn! Hopefully it won't matter which one as long as I get my grades for Exeter haha :')

Trying not to burn out is horrible and so important - I burnt out completely last year, I wasn't sleeping so I wasn't working properly, so I got more stressed and slept even worse horrible vicious circle, I do not recommend it :') feeling a lot better this summer though, I actually made a revision table for the first time ever and I'm sticking to it pretty well for once - it's keeping me on track so fingers crossed things stay like this!!
    Eugh, I loved Exeter too! Good luck, hopefully you'll get those grades! I burnt out last year too, started to late, worked way too much too fast, had horrible sleeping patterns and all. I didn't do all that badly but I know I could have easily done better. How is WJEC for maths and bio?

ReputationRep:
    Eugh, I loved Exeter too! Good luck, hopefully you'll get those grades! I burnt out last year too, started to late, worked way too much too fast, had horrible sleeping patterns and all. I didn't do all that badly but I know I could have easily done better. How is WJEC for maths and bio?
    Sounds like we did the same thing last year! and same with me with my grades, got 3As and a B so I was mostly happy with the grades but my UMS were a bit lower than I wanted for Cambridge and it was all a bit frustrating :')

I like WJEC maths, but that's possibly just because I really love maths! And for bio I feel like they're probably not too bad, hard to tell when you haven't tried any other boards - I've heard AQA Bio is REALLY hard so glad I'm not doing that!! You're OCR for everything right? How's that?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.