The Student Room Group

HELP- the blur of student finance

So I'm looking to study at Business Management in September, had all my offers etc etc.

However, i'm looking to sort student finance. I'm in the position of living with one parent and their partner who isn't legally a career of mine (they're not married). Does both incomes have to be declared when looking at means tested student finance? I know that in some places on the government website it says 'parents income' and in some 'household income' so this had led to come confusion, as I want to abide with the law obviously. This will make a huge difference between the amount of money I will receive when I'm away from home studying my course (around 3k) .
I'm sure someone has been in the exact same position as m, or if anyone knows more than I do then please help!
Reply 1
The household income will be the combined income of the home you live in. In your case yes, your parent's partner's income will be added to theirs, in order to assess your entitlement to SF. It doesn't matter that the partner isn't legally "attached" to you in any way and is unwilling to contribute to your uni education costs. There's sadly no way round this.
Original post by georgeafc
So I'm looking to study at Business Management in September, had all my offers etc etc.

However, i'm looking to sort student finance. I'm in the position of living with one parent and their partner who isn't legally a career of mine (they're not married). Does both incomes have to be declared when looking at means tested student finance? I know that in some places on the government website it says 'parents income' and in some 'household income' so this had led to come confusion, as I want to abide with the law obviously. This will make a huge difference between the amount of money I will receive when I'm away from home studying my course (around 3k) .
I'm sure someone has been in the exact same position as m, or if anyone knows more than I do then please help!

its household income- so partners of parents you live with are taken into account I'm afraid even if they aren't married to parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending