ciobas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,

Could someone outline me any significant differences between CFAB and AAT? They seem really similar, but is one more respected than the other? CFAB seems to give better exemptions for ACA, while AAT, due to its tier structure, appears to be more in depth. Any help would be appreciated.

I would like to pursue a career in accounting and finance and I believe either of these qualifications would be a great stepping stone. I am recent graduate with a degree in Economics. I know that these things are not neccessary to get a job in finance, but I am keen to build up knowledge.
AG111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I done AAT level 2 and 3. Then went on to do CFAB, done one exam (law) and hated it, and converted back to AAT. For me I preferred AAT it made more sense and was more detailed. However considering your circumstances being a graduate, I would suggest the CFAB. As most graduates at accounting firms studying for the ACA start with CFAB.

Its also worth noting that doing the AAT level 4 will give you five exemptions from the the CFAB. AAT is also cheaper in terms of tuition.
M1011
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AG111)
I done AAT level 2 and 3. Then went on to do CFAB, done one exam (law) and hated it, and converted back to AAT. For me I preferred AAT it made more sense and was more detailed. However considering your circumstances being a graduate, I would suggest the CFAB. As most graduates at accounting firms studying for the ACA start with CFAB.

Its also worth noting that doing the AAT level 4 will give you five exemptions from the the CFAB. AAT is also cheaper in terms of tuition.
To clarify, anybody who does the ACA does the CFAB papers, as they are the first 6 papers of the ACA (15 exams total). However most people wouldn't have done CFAB before starting their ACA contract.
username1750501
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So starting with AAT would be the most reasonable choice for someone who has no degree or experience in accounting before looking to get any of the chartered certification ?
M1011
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abyz)
So starting with AAT would be the most reasonable choice for someone who has no degree or experience in accounting before looking to get any of the chartered certification ?
It depends. Are you just leaving secondary school? Do you have good A-level grades? If so the best way (assuming no desire for a degree) would probably be to go down a school leaver scheme route at one of the big accounting practice, where you'd be looking at starting the ACA straight away on a 5 year programme. Competitive to get on those though.

Outside of that, AAT is probably a good route in.
username1750501
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by M1011)
It depends. Are you just leaving secondary school? Do you have good A-level grades? If so the best way (assuming no desire for a degree) would probably be to go down a school leaver scheme route at one of the big accounting practice, where you'd be looking at starting the ACA straight away on a 5 year programme. Competitive to get on those though.

Outside of that, AAT is probably a good route in.
thanks for taking time to reply to my question
my whole education took place in another country (in eu) different system , and didnt cared about getin the best grades and from what ive heard/read these are necessary ,technically i have a degree ( 3 years but again other country, no prestige not the best grades) so figured that starting from aat would be best

thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (297)
55.93%
I don't have everything I need (234)
44.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed