Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have an interview for a nursing assistant position on ITU. I have no experience in this area but would really love this job as I am interested in this field when I qualify as a nurse in 12 months time. I don't know where to start looking or what kind of scenarios they may ask me about. I've never had a placement in this area so could really use some helpful tips.
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veritybc)
    Hi
    I have an interview for a nursing assistant position on ITU. I have no experience in this area but would really love this job as I am interested in this field when I qualify as a nurse in 12 months time. I don't know where to start looking or what kind of scenarios they may ask me about. I've never had a placement in this area so could really use some helpful tips.
    Thanks in advance
    I'm sure as a student nurse at the end of your second year you'll be sensible enough to answer any clinical style questions they have for you as they won't be anything complex. HCAs in critical care environments tend to be a bit more hands off than on a ward, this is because of the staffing levels you get in these environments. You can expect a fair bit of fetching things, stocking things up, maybe trips to blood bank or helping transfer patients to CT or MRI. You'll be asked to help out when repositioning patients or cleaning up, possibly be involved in resuscitation in some way but it varies from unit to unit.

As for questions, just think about things like, why do you want to work there, what would you do if someone asked you to do something you weren't qualified or allowed to do. General stuff like that

Are you thinking about applying for critical care on qualifying or do you want to get experience elsewhere first? Will you have the opportunity of having a placement in this area in your third year (a lot do).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.