Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for children's nursing at five universities however have been declined by four of my choices. I'm still waiting to hear back from Chester who have said my application is on hold because of the amount applicants but now I feel like I would like to do primary school teaching instead. I've done a BTEC in health and social care level 3 and it appears that this is a good enough qualification to get into teaching with but was wondering if I would be able to do it through extra when it's not the course i applied for originally and what would be the chances of being accepted? I'm worried that universities would be concerned as I originally applied for something else?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

In general, it is possible to change courses via UCAS extra. Although universities will see your original application, most will allow you to use a new PS if you want to apply to a different course.

However, most BEd. courses will want to see a commitment to teaching, and so may be put off by an applicant who has previously applied for a different course entirely. They will also want to see work experience with children, preferably in an educational setting. If you see a course you like, you have nothing to lose by applying, but you'd have a much stronger application if you spent the summer getting some work experience and reapplied next year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try and get some voluntary work at my old primary school and then maybe apply again next year

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.