Do you support student voting? Take a selfie for the student vote!

Watch
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The ability for students to swing the general election has been a hot topic in the press - as a student collective you all have the power to decide who will be running our country for the future.

:party::party:

To help power the student vote YOU can make a huge difference by supporting the youth vote campaign. As part of this TSR is putting together some visuals of the community in a photo montage to show that students will stand united!

:grouphugs:

If you're interested in supporting the student vote and being part of this project all you have to do is send us in a photo of yourself to become part of your TSR student community montage!

:tsr:

It will take at least 50 applicants for us to put together this visual so if you are interested in becoming a face for student voting please send your photo in to us, specifications include:

- Portrait or square
- As high res as possible
- Headshot/passport style photo – full head is shown in pic
- Straightforward on face (so full face in view, not sideways or obstructed)
- Serious/meaningful expression are ideal (smiling is fine just not sticking out tongues etc.)
- Any file type (jpg, png, gif etc)

To submit a photo please post a thread with your picture attached in our dedicated General election photo submissions forum 2015.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1151

Here some examples of the type of thing we are looking for...

ImageImage

The final day for submitting is Monday 2nd Feb so get snapping!
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No Im not really keen - you get a load of undergraduates who live in an area for approx 18 months out of 3 years potentially unseating a MP who's been selected by the people who live in that constituency permanently.
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
Young people need to have a say in how their country in run no matter which constituency they are living in.
Blondie2015
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in!
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
Post your selfie here! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1151
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
No Im not really keen - you get a load of undergraduates who live in an area for approx 18 months out of 3 years potentially unseating a MP who's been selected by the people who live in that constituency permanently.
Most MPs only live in their constituency as a matter of form, they really live in London and 'keep a house' in the seat, or have two homes in London if they are a London MP. (See: Expenses, overclaiming, scandal of.)

The idea of the 'local MP' is mainly mythical, although they all try to play it hard.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
They tend to represent the interests of students and young people generally though, which are a permanent feature and just as important.

Besides - most people vote on national issues rather than local ones let's face it.
mikey_vella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Vote for vella the fella

(Original post by queen cersei)
the ability for students to swing the general election has been a hot topic in the press - as a student collective you all have the power to decide who will be running our country for the future.

:party::party:

to help power the student vote you can make a huge difference by supporting the youth vote campaign. As part of this tsr is putting together some visuals of the community in a photo montage to show that students can stand united!

:grouphugs:

if you're interested in supporting the student vote and being part of this project all you have to do is send us in a photo of yourself to become part of your tsr student community montage!

:tsr:

it will take at least 50 applicants for us to put together this visual so if you are interested in becoming a face for student voting please send your photo in to us, specifications include:

- portrait or square
- as high res as possible
- headshot/passport style photo – full head is shown in pic
- straightforward on face (so full face in view, not sideways or obstructed)
- serious/meaningful expression are ideal (smiling is fine just not sticking out tongues etc.)
- any file type (jpg, png, gif etc)

to submit a photo please post a thread with your picture attached in our dedicated general election photo submissions forum 2015.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1151

here some examples of the type of thing we are looking for...

ImageImageImage

the final day for submitting is monday 2nd feb so get snapping!
Attached files
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikey_vella)
Vote for vella the fella
Do you have any face on photos that you want to submit?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Erm isn't it a 5 year term not 4
Roving Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Entered! :teehee:
Odd socks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
are the photos allowed to have filters on them? :ninja:
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aph)
Erm isn't it a 5 year term not 4
That is a very good point! I'm not sure why I had 4 years stuck in my head as the last one was five years ago so I looked it up and it is actually has more flex than expected:

Parliament has to be elected every five years at a maximum though elections often take place more frequently, most usually every four years, such as 1979, 1983 and 1987, or 1997, 2001 and 2005.
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by Odd socks)
are the photos allowed to have filters on them? :ninja:
Sure I don't see why not!
Roving Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)
That is a very good point! I'm not sure why I had 4 years stuck in my head as the last one was five years ago so I looked it up and it is actually has more flex than expected:

Parliament has to be elected every five years at a maximum though elections often take place more frequently, most usually every four years, such as 1979, 1983 and 1987, or 1997, 2001 and 2005.
I was under the impression that the government changed that to a compulsory 5 year term to stop people calling elections when it's more favourable for their party to be re-elected?

Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roving Fish)
I was under the impression that the government changed that to a compulsory 5 year term to stop people calling elections when it's more favourable for their party to be re-elected?

Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011
Cool, I didn't know about this. I did realise that the reason I was thinking of 4 year terms is because I just finished watching The Wire and they go on about it a lot!
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"Take a selfie for the student vote" it says next to a posed photo of a model. >_>
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
"Take a selfie for the student vote" it says next to a posed photo of a model. >_>
Send us your selfie and we can use that instead!
HarryDn
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (88)
57.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
11.69%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (20)
12.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (11)
7.14%
I haven't started researching yet (8)
5.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.84%

Watched Threads