The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Fly By
oh fuck off! stop answering all my questions so quickly!!

hehe only kiddin!

:biggrin: :cool: :biggrin: :cool: :biggrin: :cool: :biggrin: :cool:
*I rule*

What was King Louis XVI civil name? (once the French Revolution was underway, he was put to trial under that name)
Reply 241
next question please?
Reply 242
zizero
*I rule*

What was King Louis XVI civil name? (once the French Revolution was underway, he was put to trial under that name)

Not a clue. I know that he only got put to death by 5 votes though :smile:
Reply 243
Sire
Not a clue. I know that he only got put to death by 5 votes though :smile:

actually it was just 1. And the king's own cousin, the Duc d'Orléans voted in favour of his death!!
Reply 244
zizero
*I rule*

Okay, no one's got it. Perhaps it was a bad question. His civil name was "Louis Capet".

Another question then: Who were the two contenders in the famous Chess World Championship Final in Reikjiavic, 1972?
Reply 245
zizero
actually it was just 1. And the king's own cousin, the Duc d'Orléans voted in favour of his death!!

No it was atually 5. The one thing I found most interesting about this was that those who voted for clemency all had older brothers, and thus fell into the grain of being more forgiving. The rest were all the first born sons who had to endure the rules and believed that if they had to live by them so did others. The King broke the rules, so he must be punished :smile: and Duc d'Orleans was a first born son :smile:
Reply 246
Sire
No it was atually 5. The one thing I found most interesting about this was that those who voted for clemency all had older brothers, and thus fell into the grain of being more forgiving. The rest were all the first born sons who had to endure the rules and believed that if they had to live by them so did others. The King broke the rules, so he must be punished :smile: and Duc d'Orleans was a first born son :smile:

"Then in a nominal vote that lasted 36 hours, they pronounce in favor of the death penalty. The required majority being 361 votes, 387 vote in favor of the death penalty, but 26 of them, with a possibility of a suspended sentence.Only one voice, and Louis could have avoided the guillotine: Philippe-Égalité (formerly Duke of Orleans and cousin of the king)is among the Montagnards who voted in favor of the death penalty. Thus the king owes it to his cousin if he did not get a suspended sentence."

cf.http://www.cosmosite.net/13-136-louisguilleng.htm
Reply 247
zizero
Okay, no one's got it. Perhaps it was a bad question. His civil name was "Louis Capet".

Another question then: Who were the two contenders in the famous Chess World Championship Final in Reikjiavic, 1972?

I'm off now!

Someone else ask a question.
Bye!
Reply 248
zizero

Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky? (Listening to Chess atm :biggrin:)

And I knew Louis Capet! It was in the Scarlet Pimpernel :biggrin:
Reply 249
Acaila
Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky? (Listening to Chess atm :biggrin:)

And I knew Louis Capet! It was in the Scarlet Pimpernel :biggrin:

Your turn
Reply 250
yay the quiz is back on!
Reply 251
or not.....
Reply 252
Fly By
yay the quiz is back on!

Yup Yup, just waiting for the next question :smile: Hope its historical, that was good.
Reply 253
why dont you ask one..
Reply 254
I got it right? :confused:
Reply 255
Fly By
why dont you ask one..

Righto. Which British general was captured by Rommel in the early part of fighting in North Africa WW2?
Reply 256
Acaila
I got it right? :confused:

hye! i dunno........
Reply 257
umm.....winston churchill...
Reply 258
Sire
Righto. Which British general was captured by Rommel in the early part of fighting in North Africa WW2?

Errr.....ummmm....{resisiting temptation to say Churchill} ....errr....ok I don't know
Reply 259
Nah. This guy defeated the Italians, and then Rommel turned up and defeated him.

Latest

Trending

Trending