Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    oh **** off! stop answering all my questions so quickly!!

hehe only kiddin!
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    *I rule*

What was King Louis XVI civil name? (once the French Revolution was underway, he was put to trial under that name)

ReputationRep:
    next question please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    *I rule*

What was King Louis XVI civil name? (once the French Revolution was underway, he was put to trial under that name)
    Not a clue. I know that he only got put to death by 5 votes though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Not a clue. I know that he only got put to death by 5 votes though
    actually it was just 1. And the king's own cousin, the Duc d'Orléans voted in favour of his death!!

ReputationRep:
    *I rule*

Okay, no one's got it. Perhaps it was a bad question. His civil name was "Louis Capet".

Another question then: Who were the two contenders in the famous Chess World Championship Final in Reikjiavic, 1972?

ReputationRep:
    actually it was just 1. And the king's own cousin, the Duc d'Orléans voted in favour of his death!!
    No it was atually 5. The one thing I found most interesting about this was that those who voted for clemency all had older brothers, and thus fell into the grain of being more forgiving. The rest were all the first born sons who had to endure the rules and believed that if they had to live by them so did others. The King broke the rules, so he must be punished and Duc d'Orleans was a first born son

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    No it was atually 5. The one thing I found most interesting about this was that those who voted for clemency all had older brothers, and thus fell into the grain of being more forgiving. The rest were all the first born sons who had to endure the rules and believed that if they had to live by them so did others. The King broke the rules, so he must be punished and Duc d'Orleans was a first born son
    "Then in a nominal vote that lasted 36 hours, they pronounce in favor of the death penalty. The required majority being 361 votes, 387 vote in favor of the death penalty, but 26 of them, with a possibility of a suspended sentence.Only one voice, and Louis could have avoided the guillotine: Philippe-Égalité (formerly Duke of Orleans and cousin of the king)is among the Montagnards who voted in favor of the death penalty. Thus the king owes it to his cousin if he did not get a suspended sentence."

cf.http://www.cosmosite.net/13-136-louisguilleng.htm

ReputationRep:
    Okay, no one's got it. Perhaps it was a bad question. His civil name was "Louis Capet".

Another question then: Who were the two contenders in the famous Chess World Championship Final in Reikjiavic, 1972?
    I'm off now!

Someone else ask a question.
    Bye!

ReputationRep:

Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky? (Listening to Chess atm )

And I knew Louis Capet! It was in the Scarlet Pimpernel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky? (Listening to Chess atm )

And I knew Louis Capet! It was in the Scarlet Pimpernel
    Your turn

ReputationRep:
    yay the quiz is back on!

ReputationRep:
    or not.....

ReputationRep:
    yay the quiz is back on!
    Yup Yup, just waiting for the next question Hope its historical, that was good.

ReputationRep:
    why dont you ask one..

ReputationRep:
    I got it right? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    why dont you ask one..
    Righto. Which British general was captured by Rommel in the early part of fighting in North Africa WW2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I got it right? :confused:
    hye! i dunno........

ReputationRep:
    umm.....winston churchill...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Righto. Which British general was captured by Rommel in the early part of fighting in North Africa WW2?

Errr.....ummmm....{resisiting temptation to say Churchill} ....errr....ok I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Nah. This guy defeated the Italians, and then Rommel turned up and defeated him.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.