The Student Room Group

Benedict Cumberbatch apologises...

Scroll to see replies

This is the kind of thing that just really ****ing annoys me.

Cumberbatch said something ill-thought by innocently intentioned and some people got offended. He then apologised for any offence. In a sensible world that would be the end of it.

But NOOOOOOOO some people insist his views are endemic of a racist and that he should never work again while others try to brush off others offence like its just a bunch of idiots with their knickers in a twist trying to erode their right to free speech or some ****.

Oh for the record, if you are that stupid; YOU DON'T GET TO DECIDE IF SOMEONE ELSE IS OFFENDED BY SOMETHING.
He was actually defending the black people such as idris elba prior to that outburst. I don't think he's racist, I think it's been blown out of proportion but i do think the term ' coloured ' is offensive to some.
Using a racist word or term does not necessarily make someone 'racist'. My OH is Indian (British-Indian: her parents come from there but she was born in the UK, has a generic UK accent for her city and doesn't act/dress according to her heritage) and we have the kind of relationship where we use silly faux-insulting words for each other that we would never dream of using with anyone else or if anybody else was nearby, always on the understanding we never actually mean the insults. For example if I'm off out to Tesco she might text me "Oi tw*t don't forget the milk" and I may reply "Already got it, sh*t-for-brains".

If we're having a mock-argument she might say "You're talking bo**ocks you stupid white w****r" to which I might say something like "Go away, p*ki-slag" (Yes I know the difference between Pakistani and Indian....).

Again, we would never speak like that if anyone was within ear-shot and neither would we use those words against someone else.

I don't know the guy personally of course but Cumberbatch is not racist. For the record I don't consider the word 'coloured' (in that context) to be racist anyway. Outdated, unwise and inappropriate yes but not racist, and neither do I think he was being racist at the time.

My bugbear with this whole incident is how grovelling his reply was. By all means apologise if anyone was offended by his choice of words but he seems to be falling over himself in his response. And this applies to anyone else who has had to publicly apologise for anything deemed racist. My memory isn't the best but I don't remember any other situation involving offence (ie sexism, ageism etc) where such emphatic denials/apologies are always required.

Nobody in their right mind would suggest racism should be treated lightly but in this day and age I'm uncomfortable with this perceived 'guilty until proven innocent' attitude surrounding the subject.
Original post by Kruz
How is that pathetic? How would you like it if people used the term 'Coloured' to describe you.

I wouldn't care?

Call me a ****** if you like and I still wouldn't care.

People remain pathetic.
Original post by Chlorophile
I didn't even realise that "coloured" was deemed a racist term... Anyway, wasn't he highlighting a very real issue of racism in the industry? Should that perhaps be the focus rather than a particular word he used?

No, I would deem the most politically correct term in this society as "lighter" people and "darker" people. :tongue: Seriously although I'm very diplomatic in my words, this is just silly. An actor coming under fire (attention) for saying "coloured" is stupid. There are more immediate problems in the world, which we should prioritise.

By the way, I'm not saying that the word "coloured" is the most appropriate word to use.

Original post by Moh.1Ace
He was actually defending the black people such as idris elba prior to that outburst. I don't think he's racist, I think it's been blown out of proportion but i do think the term ' coloured ' is offensive to some.

:ditto:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Mason
Thank you for bring out such a stereotypically "white male" respnose, but what reasons and situations, would whites have to use such an outdated word?

Just asking.

If by 'white male' you mean logical and reasonable, then yes it is. Also, why don't we ask the NAACP why they use that word?

Original post by SophiaLDN
I can't believe people are defending the use of that word. Ofcourse let me take a wild guess that none of you are black.

This response is so utterly ridiculous and reactionary, it is almost unfathomably racist.

Who said it was wrong to refer to African Americans as black?

Here is a hint: 'African American' involves two places, and not all blacks are from those two places.

Like me saying "let's call white people 'British'".
Reply 106
Indeed he is,an idiot.

What a storm in a teacup! People refer to people of colour and no one complains. Obviously a touchy issue, but the piety and self righteousness is a bit much.
Reply 107
Original post by Boks
Isn't the point that 'people of colour' or 'coloured people' are basically the same thing. They're both a subjective term, where let's face it, white people just mean 'not white people.'

It doesn't refer to eastern european ethnic minorities now does it? White is a colour. If we were to use the term, there's no logic behind it.

Exactly.
Original post by Chi019
What a storm in a teacup! People refer to people of colour and no one complains. Obviously a touchy issue, but the piety and self righteousness is a bit much.

That is not true in the slightest. I have used the phrase "People of Colour" on this very forum in the past and I have been told how I am wrong and a racist, obviously.

People are just want to find something to be offended by so they can remain being relevant.
Original post by Arkasia
If by 'white male' you mean logical and reasonable, then yes it is. Also, why don't we ask the NAACP why they use that word?

This response is so utterly ridiculous and reactionary, it is almost unfathomably racist.

Here is a hint: 'African American' involves two places, and not all blacks are from those two places.

Like me saying "let's call white people 'British'".

I do not have any support for Ncaap.
Yes I am clearly aware of the various black ethnic groups that coexist in America, but thank you for stating the obvious and dispelling such instinctual ignorance that many of your folk seem to display.
But I am not fond of the term " African American"
You failed to apply any sense of "logic" when answering my question.
But I shall wait for another one of your condecending, text book responses.
I do not have any support for Ncaap.
Yes I am clearly aware of the various black ethnic groups that coexist in America, but thank you for stating the obvious and dispelling such instinctual ignorance that many of your folk seem to display.
But I am not fond of the term " African American"
You failed to apply any sense of "logic" when answering my question.
But I shall wait for another one of your condecending, text book responses.

Ah I love you, it's been a while since we had such a consistent yet realistic troll. Keep it up, brah.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
So, every human on Earth, then? :tongue:

:banned:

No. First of all, that isn't actually a proven fact but rather a theory that is in circulation. Second, when you say 'I'm of French origin', you're generally talking maybe 300 years back at the most.
Original post by DiddyDec
That is not true in the slightest. I have used the phrase "People of Colour" on this very forum in the past and I have been told how I am wrong and a racist, obviously.

People are just want to find something to be offended by so they can remain being relevant.

I'm honestly losing track of what is and isn't 'offensive' anymore. I know [non-whites] that prefer the term people of colour, some who consider that offensive, some that prefer black, others who dislike that, some that go by Asian, others who are offended by that, and even some that prefer negro. It's so incredibly subjective and variable.

Unless somebody is very obviously using one of those terms in a deliberately offensive way, I don't think such a grovelling apology should really be necessary. To those who are 'offended' by it, it should be clear he meant no harm, and to demand an apology for such a minor, innocent error (if any) is a bit of an overreaction.
Reply 113
Original post by Dandaman1
I'm honestly losing track of what is and isn't 'offensive' anymore. I know [non-whites] that prefer the term people of colour, some who consider that offensive, some that prefer black, others who dislike that, some that go by Asian, others who are offended by that, and even some that prefer negro. It's so incredibly subjective and variable.

Unless somebody is very obviously using one of those terms in a deliberately offensive way, I don't think such a grovelling apology should really be necessary. To those who are 'offended' by it, it should be clear he meant no harm, and to demand an apology for such a minor, innocent error (if any) is a bit of an overreaction.

The majority of flak isnt coming from non-white people. People want an eccuse to be riled up over PC going mad. In reality, its a case of 'coloured' not being an accurate term to describe anyone. Yes you can describe a black person as black or an asian as asian in terms of description, but 'coloured' doesn't dignify anyone you apply it to with an identity. Its simply a case of saying 'not-white' in a blanket way in which white people don't feel like they're othering people.

White is a colour. Infact I'd suggest you just take a few mins to think about what you actually mean when you say coloured.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply