Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

To put it simply, I hate university. I'm midway through the first year of a Journalism degree at the University of Westminster, and it just isn't what I expected it to be. I find the subject pretty boring and just too easy, and it's also not what I really want to do any more.

I'm a commuter, and I find a lot of my lectures a complete waste of money and time travelling in. I'm breezing through the assessments with good marks in practically everything even though my heart isn't really in it, but I don't like that fact. The thing is, I now don't know what to do - all I know is that I really want to study, so dropping out altogether is simply not an option.

I'm thinking of re-starting uni again in September. At the moment, I'm considering going to Anglia Ruskin. I know it's very lowly-ranked, but I love the location and the feel I got for the place when I visited last year. My big issue is which course to do. At the moment, I'm torn between a combined honours degree in Sociology and Criminology, and pure Law.

I studied both Sociology and Law at A Level and loved both. I know a Law degree is a lot more highly regarded, however, I am questioning whether I would enjoy S&C more. I don't want to hate yet another degree, and a lot of people say that Law is boring and too much hard work. I'm a bit of a party animal, I like going out, I have a part-time job that I simply refuse to quit, and I don't want to get snowed under. Would this be a bit different at ARU, given the low entry requirements to the course? And would I find a Sociology and Criminology course too easy?

A bit more about me: My A Level results were ABC in English Lit, Sociology and Law respectively, which could have been a lot better had I not been at a godawful school and struggling with personal issues at the time. I love writing, hence my initial interest in Journalism. I also love learning things and absorbing information. That's the one thing I hate the most about my current degree, I'm being taught how to DO things rather than actual information, because there are no exams. I much prefer the theory modules that we have to do, if I'm honest.

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't know what I want to do as a career; at the moment, I'm considering joining the police force. I know that this doesn't require a degree, however, I want a degree because I love studying and I feel that it'd be a waste if I didn't. I just don't want to get a First in a degree with little effort because it would feel undeserved.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.