Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to get rid of application fees? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know that Ivy Ties is giving away application fees to college applicants who are applying to US colleges. Is there any other way?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered having a fundraiser? What about finding part-time work?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jibinkumar)
    I know that Ivy Ties is giving away application fees to college applicants who are applying to US colleges. Is there any other way?
    Fee waivers from the unis if you are applying for financial aid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Fee waivers from the unis if you are applying for financial aid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll only qualify for those if your parents earn VERY low incomes. Definitely don't count on it as people of all ranges of income (i'm talking <$20K up to $150K and sometimes even higher incomes) qualify for financial aid - if that were the case I'd be getting fee waivers from all the college I'm applying to (Do they even give them to international applicants? :confused:)

I recommend you cut down your application/college list. How many universities are you planning on applying to? Cut as many universities out as possible - would you consider going to the university if you get accepted? is it affordable? do you like the atmosphere/campus/location etc of the college? If you answer no to any of these questions, do yourself a favour and take them off your college list.

The best solution IMO is to get a part time job (as someone else mentioned)!

Question: Are you trying to cut down costs because you're trying to be economical or is it because it isn't affordable? If the latter and you're an international applicant, how do you (or your parents) plan on paying tuition? Very few colleges in the US give financial aid to international applicants those that do are super competitive (and even more so for international students). I highly recommend you consider finances above all else if your parents can't pay full tuition/costs as it might break your chances of getting accepted - except for a handle full of colleges (Harvard, Princeton, Amherst etc) most colleges are need aware and may reject you because you require (significant) financial aid.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by pbunny)
    You'll only qualify for those if your parents earn VERY low incomes. Definitely don't count on it as people of all ranges of income (i'm talking <$20K up to $150K and sometimes even higher incomes) qualify for financial aid - if that were the case I'd be getting fee waivers from all the college I'm applying to (Do they even give them to international applicants? :confused:)

I recommend you cut down your application/college list. How many universities are you planning on applying to? Cut as many universities out as possible - would you consider going to the university if you get accepted? is it affordable? do you like the atmosphere/campus/location etc of the college? If you answer no to any of these questions, do yourself a favour and take them off your college list.

The best solution IMO is to get a part time job (as someone else mentioned)!

Question: Are you trying to cut down costs because you're trying to be economical or is it because it isn't affordable? If the latter and you're an international applicant, how do you (or your parents) plan on paying tuition? Very few colleges in the US give financial aid to international applicants those that do are super competitive (and even more so for international students). I highly recommend you consider finances above all else if your parents can't pay full tuition/costs as it might break your chances of getting accepted - except for a handle full of colleges (Harvard, Princeton, Amherst etc) most colleges are need aware and may reject you because you require (significant) financial aid.
    Most need aware or need blind schools (for internationals there are about 27 of these) allow fee waivers for internationals. Obviously, only US residents/citizens are eligible for the SAT fee waiver.

Again, I've stated this before, there are quite a few more schools that give aid than people would think. Need aware schools do pose the additional risk of rejection but, there's no harm in trying!

I know quite a few people who have received very generous financial aid packages and they were all international. Some schools, who aren"t normally as generous, give some leeway to internationals in the name of "diversity".

There are also merit based scholarship programs like the Morehead Cain and the Robertson Scholars - these are quite competitive as well but if you are good enough the full ride you'd get would be fantastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.