Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

British Army Afghanistan veteran becomes first transgender officer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-way-life.html

What an incredible story. This British army officer, Captain Hannah Winterbourne, was born a boy and served for some time in the army as a man, including in Afghanistan.

It was during that time she decided she wanted to transition. She looks very feminine and actually quite pretty (and wasn't bad looking as a bloke either!)

Surprisingly, the vast majority of the comments on the Daily Mail website are quite supportive, no rants about "left-wing social engineering" etc. Well, I wish her luck! It's an astounding sign of how far we have come as a society in such a short time; even 15 years ago this would have been unthinkable

ReputationRep:
    She looks good....no homo...oh wait...hmm.....(mind=blown)

Seriously though like you say surprised the comments are mostly so positive, does seem things are changing quite rapidly. It's the sort of thing which. although it's incredibly unlikely, makes me nervous about the rising minority who support extremist religious interpretations....the world could slide backwards...along way backwards.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind but I am very dubious about the safety and effects of sex change operations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    I don't really mind but I am very dubious about the safety and effects of sex change operations.
    Safety?

"Side effects may include loss of penis, and gaining breast tissue."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Safety?

"Side effects may include loss of penis, and gaining breast tissue."
    It's basically genital mutilation.

ReputationRep:
    As long as she can take the banter that armed forces life brings without claiming discrimination then fair play to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    It's basically genital mutilation.
    Well, that's exactly what it is, technically.

But not in a horrific manner, like FGM. It turns their body into who they think they are on the inside.

ReputationRep:
    The way she looks shouldn't matter, I get the feeling people would feel a lot less accepting of her if she didn't look as she does :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Good luck to her.
    him*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ESPORTIVA)
    him*
    He can cut his **** off and call himself whatever he likes, but put a sample under the microscope and all will be revealed. He will still be male, all be it a mutilated one...
    I think all this "transgender" stuff is total nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    He can cut his **** off and call himself whatever he likes, but put a sample under the microscope and all will be revealed. He will still be male, all be it a mutilated one...
    I think all this "transgender" stuff is total nonsense.
    Then it's just as well that they don't need the approval of people like you to be who they want to be.

(Original post by ESPORTIVA)
    him*
    What did your most recent reply say? It seems to have been removed.

ReputationRep:
    Then it's just as well that they don't need the approval of people like you to be who they want to be.
    Approval is irrelevant. It's the material facts that count.

If I decide to call myself a can of tuna I can. It doesn't make it true...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Approval is irrelevant. It's the material facts that count.

If I decide to call myself a can of tuna I can. It doesn't make it true...
    I know it's irrelevant, that's sort of my point. And wanting to identify as a different gender is not the same as wanting to identify as a random inanimate object like a can of tuna. That's just a lazy argument.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's irrelevant, that's sort of my point. And wanting to identify as a different gender is not the same as wanting to identify as a random inanimate object like a can of tuna. That's just a lazy argument.
    Lazy or not, it's the reality. Wanting something to be true or even believing it to be true doesn't necessarily make it so.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, she's pretty hot. Can certainly [enter army sexual innuendo joke here].

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.