The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How are we supposed to refer to black people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I am a white person. My friend is a black person. What is the problem?

The word 'coloured' is just wrong on so many levels.
Original post by RD208
I am a white person. My friend is a black person. What is the problem?

The word 'coloured' is just wrong on so many levels.

The problem is that such an explicit reference to race could quite easily offend someone. We live in a culture where only vague references to race are acceptable, 'Members of Ethnic Minorities', 'People of Colour'. Wouldn't that lead you to believe that the more vague term, 'coloured' is preferable to 'black'?

Consider the following:

I am a white person. My friend is a yellow person. What is the problem?
*****, ***** B)
I have a black friend whom I call this, he laughs it off everytime.
Black is fine. I've never heard about anyone complaining about being black. Coloured, by definition of "Anything which isn't white, and everything that is separate from us" - is not.

Original post by Izzyeviel
My match.com profile another example: match.JPG

Am I the only one wondering why "east indian" comes as an entirely separate category apart from "Asian"? I think on the whole, this is the worst race tickbox I've ever seen :lol:
Reply 144
Original post by tomfailinghelp
The problem is that such an explicit reference to race could quite easily offend someone. We live in a culture where only vague references to race are acceptable, 'Members of Ethnic Minorities', 'People of Colour'. Wouldn't that lead you to believe that the more vague term, 'coloured' is preferable to 'black'?

Consider the following:

I am a white person. My friend is a yellow person. What is the problem?

NO. This is the dumbest argument I've ever heard hahahah ha ha.

Lets call everyone coloured!

White and black refer to races/ethnicity, not an artist's paint palette.
Original post by Another
Black is fine. I've never heard about anyone complaining about being black. Coloured, by definition of "Anything which isn't white, and everything that is separate from us" - is not.

Am I the only one wondering why "east indian" comes as an entirely separate category apart from "Asian"? I think on the whole, this is the worst race tickbox I've ever seen :lol:

I've just noticed that too... no West Indian or plain Indian... but East Indian... who on earth are they referring to? :lolwut:
Original post by RD208
NO. This is the dumbest argument I've ever heard hahahah ha ha.

Lets call everyone coloured!

White and black refer to races/ethnicity, not an artist's paint palette.

Okay, so what is actually wrong about the argument?

'White and black' are not ethnicities, they are not races. 'Caucasian' is an ethnicity, 'white' isn't. They do refer to ethnicities, you're right, but so does 'yellow' - it refers to people of Chinese origin.

I don't believe that we should call everyone 'coloured'. I believe that we should call everyone basically what we want, and people should accept that, so long as there is no ill intent, the particular word used is of little consequence.
Reply 147
anything but the n word
Original post by minimarshmallow
What?
I've not been walking around yelling it, but I think I made a reference to 'people of colour' on a guest post for my friend's blog. I told her she could change it as it was her blog and her readers, and she went with it.

I believe reffering to black people as coloured is not only offensive, derogatory, but also racist from a historical point of view.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I'm not saying it's difficult to say black people, but I don't understand why there was such outrage over that actor saying coloured.

Is it really that offensive to black people should someone accidentally say coloured (whether it's an accident or they don't know any better)?

It doesn't matter if he said it accidentally or not, he still said it. He apologised & acknowledged his mistake so that's over with.

Yes its offensive due to its historical usage and it's considered pejorative by many. I can't remember the last time I heard it so I'm surprised he even used it. The word "coloured" hasn't been acceptable or used in decades, I don't see why people are trying to bring it back.
Reply 150
Okay, so what is actually wrong about the argument?

'White and black' are not ethnicities, they are not races. 'Caucasian' is an ethnicity, 'white' isn't. They do refer to ethnicities, you're right, but so does 'yellow' - it refers to people of Chinese origin.

Well you implied that its fine to identify yourself (who I assume to be white, although correct me if I'm way off) as white, but 'everyone else' as 'coloured'. Do you not think thats a bit ignorant?

I don't believe that we should call everyone 'coloured'. I believe that we should call everyone basically what we want, and people should accept that, so long as there is no ill intent, the particular word used is of little consequence.

Well unfortunately the world does not work like that. For generations, various groups of people have been mistreated and called derogatory names. Thankfully now this is not the case and there is some sort of line between what is and is not acceptable.
Original post by RD208
Well you implied that its fine to identify yourself (who I assume to be white, although correct me if I'm way off) as white, but 'everyone else' as 'coloured'. Do you not think thats a bit ignorant?

I am indeed white. I don't see why I would think that is 'a bit ignorant'. There is a group of people, a large group, who are not white. In some instances I need to refer to this group, and 'coloured' is a word which seems fit for this purpose to me. What is 'ignorant' about that? It isn't as if I could refer to each ethnic group in turn.

Well unfortunately the world does not work like that. For generations, various groups of people have been mistreated and called derogatory names. Thankfully now this is not the case and there is some sort of line between what is and is not acceptable.

I realise that, which is why I don't walk around referring to various people as 'Negroids' or whatever. This doesn't justify haranguing someone for using a term which, as far as I am aware (and apparently as far as many other people are aware), does not have significant racist connotations. It's also why I don't refer to Chinese people as 'yellow'.
Reply 152
I am indeed white. I don't see why I would think that is 'a bit ignorant'. There is a group of people, a large group, who are not white. In some instances I need to refer to this group, and 'coloured' is a word which seems fit for this purpose to me. What is 'ignorant' about that? It isn't as if I could refer to each ethnic group in turn.

I realise that, which is why I don't walk around referring to various people as 'Negroids' or whatever. This doesn't justify haranguing someone for using a term which, as far as I am aware (and apparently as far as many other people are aware), does not have significant racist connotations. It's also why I don't refer to Chinese people as 'yellow'.

The world 'coloured' does have racist connotations, which have been explained enough in this thread.

Evidence from your posts suggest you are indeed very ignorant on this subject matter.
Reply 153
I'd just call a black person black and a white person white, and if they're in the middle, I go for mixed race. I've got friends who are black and they're not offended if you call them black, likewise, I wouldn't be offended if you called me white, it seems the most simple and least problematic route to me.

Original post by Michael_Real
The word coloured shouldnt be used to refer to black/brown people. In fact "white" people are the most colored of all! Turn pink when they blush, red when they're hot, purple when they're ill, brown when they're bruised...the list goes on. Whereas, black people stay the same colour regardless...now who is more colored? Just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really didn't see the point in this. Pointing out the fact that everyones skin changes colour due to the blood flow is pointless. This happens to all people, regardless of skin colour, but as black people have darker skin, it is simply harder to see.
Original post by RD208
The world 'coloured' does have racist connotations, which have been explained enough in this thread.

Evidence from your posts suggest you are indeed very ignorant on this subject matter.

For the term 'coloured' to have racist connotations, wouldn't if have to be that people, generally, believe it to imply racist sentiment?

What reason would Benedict Cumberbatch or I have for believing that this is the case?

We have an example of one word which is generally considered to have racist connotations, '******'. The term 'coloured', though, is nothing like this. Myself, and it seems many other members of this thread, have not been raised to understand the term in the same way. So how could we possibly be expected to be aware of the connotations of the word?
Original post by Balloon Baboon
The thing that makes me laugh is. In some cultures it's perfectly fine for guys to call each other the 'N' word. But if someone else then calls them it, all hell breaks loose. Why? Personally, I think too many chips on too many shoulders.

You got to pull it off man, like I used to go to high school in a pretty ghetto area of Manchester, but I'm a really light skinned Asian.

I'd call my black friends, or any friends really, "******" (not in an insulting way), if anybody gave me a weird look I'd look at them back as if I was challenging them to say something, and nobody ever said it cos I was confident in saying the N word.

A friend of mine is quite posh, so on the rare occasion he says it, he does get a lot of weird looks but he stands there awkwardly.
Original post by SophiaLDN

Yes its offensive due to its historical usage and it's considered pejorative by many. I can't remember the last time I heard it so I'm surprised he even used it. The word "coloured" hasn't been acceptable or used in decades, I don't see why people are trying to bring it back.

Except when Obama used in a speech in September 2014.

Again, you have no clue about you are talking about.
Original post by RD208

No, it doesn't.

It only has racist connotations to the Twitter generation who are completely ignorant of it's historical usage.

The term "coloured" was deemed more respectful than using "black" .

That is why the NAACP has Coloured in it.

That is why the first Black Only sports were known as Coloured ( IE The Coloured Heavyweight Championship).

It is only offensive because it has fallen out of use. Don't try to pretend that it is anything more than that.
Original post by AlexSO
I am brown. I am happy with that. I call myself brown to people who don't understand the term 'Asian-white'. To a certain extent, I do find 'coloured' a tad offensive. It sounds like you've got just white people and coloured people. White people and everyone else. It, to me, implies that white is the norm and anything else isn't. Personally, I don't really like it. It's not really about PC for me. The main issue is that I want people to refer to me as what I want to be referred to as. Nobody should continuously call me something that I don't want to be named as. We are all individuals. I wouldn't go mad if someone called me coloured, I'd say something like "By the way, if you're going to label me by race, call me Asian-White, mixed race or brown skinned. but I'd really prefer it if you called me Alex"

Being fairly young, I can't recall meeting anyone in my life offended by the word 'black'.

Let's not forget, white people are coloured too. In fact, we all are!

"I want people to refer to me as what I want to be referred to as."

Well that is never going to happen in a normal society, you can always hope for that to be the case, but it is unlikely to be.

What a shame that you are being called something you don't want to be called... Oh wait, it isn't a shame. It's not racist and it definitely isn't offensive to the majority of the public. Yes, we are all individuals, but individuals can be grouped into certain categories i.e. by race, gender etc.
Original post by RD208

No it doesn't. Please explain how/when these racist connotations were established.

Latest

Trending

Trending