Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i heard from my head of sixth form that this is the case and i read somewhere that unis are desperate to hand out offers since the government lifted regulations on the amount they can bring in, so they've been going crazy to get the money

is this true

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed a lot more unconditional offers have been handed out to people who don't have their qualifications yet, I imagine they will be keen to have more students and therefore more money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyGot1Offer)
    i heard from my head of sixth form that this is the case and i read somewhere that unis are desperate to hand out offers since the government lifted regulations on the amount they can bring in, so they've been going crazy to get the money

is this true
    Student number controls have been lifted this year, but in the last couple of application cycles, these have only applied to students with less than ABB/AAB grades anyway. In the past, this seems to have had more of an impact on results day, with more students who miss their offers being let in anyway, and more unis entering clearing to pick up a few extra ABB+ students.

However, even when student number controls are lifted, universities will still have a rough idea about the number of students they want on each course. If the largest lecture theater you have seats 200, you can't accept 300 students for one course. Equally, if the course usually has about 50 people on it, and you suddenly accept 80, that will cause logistical problems. Lots of universities like to guarantee accommodation in halls, and this will also cap the amount of students a university can reasonably accept.

It's also worth bearing in mind that all universities over offer- they're usually one choice in 5, assuming the student hasn't also applied abroad, so a lot of offers won't be accepted. Then, of those accepted offers, some will miss their grades and some will have a last minute change of heart. Most universities already give out a lot more offers than they have places.

Finally, unis don't want students on the course who they think will fail or drop out quickly- this has financial implications for them too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.