Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, I joined up to seek the views of others regarding my current situation.

I graduated from the University of South Wales last year with a 2:2 degree in history. Since school (so roughly 5 years now) I have been working part time in a pharmacy, and been slowly improving my qualifications in this but its very unlikely that I can pursue a career in this area unless I undertook a pharmacy degree - which I don't have the right A levels for. I have a B in History, B in RS and a 'pass' in ICT (weird exam board, don't ask). I love this job but the hours are currently very limited and I would ideally like to pursue a career.

I have been weighing up my options lately as to what to do in the future, and I have decided that I am rather attracted to teaching. Secondary teaching to be specific.

I already have some experience in a school under my belt, and some voluntary experience going on camp with a school my sister works in as a teacher. Furthermore, I have attended the train to teach roadshow and spoke with various people there about the ways in to teaching and the benefits of being a teacher. Gaining further experience in schools shouldn't be a problem.

The main issue is obvious, the degree classification. I know that in this time there are a lot of graduates therefore increasing competition on places, not to mention the fact that a history degree leaves you with rather limited options anyway. In spite of this, I am willing to undertake as much experience as possible if I were to make this a reality.

Alternatively, it has been pointed out to me by a UWE representative that I could undertake a subject knowledge enhancement course for computer science to apply for a PGCE, and then backtrack to apply for jobs as a history teacher. Living in Wales complicates things though, as opportunities for routes in to teaching seem rather limited compared to those in England.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what are the chances of getting on to a teaching course despite the degree classification? Staff at the roadshow pointed out that I possess qualities which would make me a relatable and successful teacher such as being a snappy dresser and having a creative nature. Its just taking the first step which will be the hardest part, and I'm unsure about going for a lot of experience during this time if the outcome would be a negative one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm maths rather than history, but u wouldn't let having a 2:2 put you off applying - I've just had an offer from Bristol Uni for a maths PGCE conditional on me getting at least a 2:2 in my degree. You won't know unless you apply really, but it's worth the £19 application fee to find out I'd say :-)

Sarah x

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open!

ReputationRep:
    Training providers all state their minimum requirements so you don't necessarily have to apply to find out. I applied to 3 schools near me to do secondary history - 2 wanted 2:1s and the other would accept 2:2. It just depends. If you check this link: http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...rch.HsForm.run and search for providers you'll be able to see what they're after.
    One thing I would say is history is ridiculously competitive and a lot of the courses are already full, so if you want to apply for this year, I'd do it ASAP!

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Some universities say they accept a 2.2 with 'a wider profile'. I think if you have lots of relevant experience/skills as well as your degree, you'd be considered. You can always ring up the Uni you're interested in to see what they say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.