Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How accurately can people judge their own attractiveness watch

ReputationRep:
    People seem to have in their heads an idea of who's out of their league, whether they're right or wrong though, intrigues me. I was wondering how accurate people actually are. If you were to get a lot of people (let's say 100) to rate people's attractiveness on a scale of 1-10 and then ask those people (the ones that were rated) to rate themselves, how accurate would they be? Would there be a trend, such as maybe a certain gender underrating themselves or such. Thoughts please?

I think I am fairly good at judging my own and other people's attractiveness. It's not hard to look at yourself objectively! :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    I think attraction is subjective anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I can rate people's attractiveness perfectly, and my own attractiveness too. I'm completely fair and unbiased, I'm always correct, I can tell you who is ugly and who isn't. But the majority of people are completely off, they have absolutely no clue! It baffles me, it's not that hard really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    I think attraction is subjective anyway.
    And can you not measure subjectivity, atleast partly quantitatively?
    Anyway, for example, you might not be attracted to megan fox, but you're not going to rate her a 3 are you.

ReputationRep:
    Surely people judge their own attractiveness based on comments they have got from others? I would say that most people would probably say they are not as good looking as they actually are, but it depends on the person and of course it is subjective too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Surely people judge their own attractiveness based on comments they have got from others? I would say that most people would probably say they are not as good looking as they actually are, but it depends on the person and of course it is subjective too.
    People usually aren't going to say horrible things though, like you could be one ugly ass mofo, but your nan is still gonna say 'you're a good looking kid', I mean, even if she is as blind as a bat

ReputationRep:
    I haven't a clue. Most days I really don't care tbh! I can rate other people's attractiveness very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Handsome_Devil)
    People usually aren't going to say horrible things though, like you could be one ugly ass mofo, but your nan is still gonna say 'you're a good looking kid', I mean, even if she is as blind as a bat
    That's true, but I meant more to do with new people that you meet. Like if you see someone that you think is genuinely good looking etc you may tell them but if you see someone that you may not find good looking you may just not complement them on their looks. Of course, family are gonna say good things to you haha. Even your friends, like if they know that you are not happy with your looks then they may complement you to make you feel good or they may actually genuinely mean it.

I think that makes sense. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    That's true, but I meant more to do with new people that you meet.
    Ahh, I understand you. Although I see that skewing greatly for women. Men generally aren't approached by women with compliments on their looks or anything like that.

Im single and always have been = Im an ugly mofu.

Doesnt really get any simpler than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)

Same lol

but back to the question, i think i'm much better at judging my own attractiveness than judging others'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)

There's also current attractiveness vs potential, though. Losing weight, gaining some muscle (both genders) and putting on make-up / grooming (yes, even for men) can completely transform how someone looks.

Ok, not everyone has the potential to be a 9/10, but many, many people could go up a few notches if they put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
    To answer the question, there is a study that suggests people usually over-estimate their attractiveness.

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/nich...Whitchurch.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I see myself pretty negatively because of low self esteem, so I would probably rate myself lower than what some people might rate me (but then people who say I'm attractive tend to be just being nice)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe that right now im a solid 7 (maybe a 7.5 if i look really good). If i fix my teeth (my biggest insecurity) and my hair grows to my chest and i get to my goal weight i know i will be an 8 minimum!

(Original post by bianca2402)
    Same lol

but back to the question, i think i'm much better at judging my own attractiveness than judging others'
    Lets have a test. Rate the following people on a scale of 0-10 with 0 being as minging as possible and 10 being the perfect look.

Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg benidorm.jpg (50.9 KB)
  2. File Type: jpg 1273537014310.jpg (57.1 KB)
  3. File Type: jpg shell04-450x613.jpg (70.6 KB)
  4. File Type: jpg lb.jpg (47.8 KB)
  5. File Type: jpg Lara_Croft_80_by_Nicobass.jpg (186.4 KB)

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i don't see the point in trying to standardise the way that people judge everyone else's attractiveness. Everyone is attracted to different qualities, so there goes that idea. As for me judging my own attractiveness, i think i'm alright, about a 7.5 if i lost a little weight, put on a little bit of makeup and a nice dress (nice not slutty). The way i am now, i'd say i'm about a 6. That doesn't take into account that the brain is pretty good at lying to you and often makes you think you're a lot more attractive than you actually are (i read this in a psychology article somewhere - no idea if it's true - but it's not impossible). I read that your brain decides to overlook physical flaws that others notice just to make you feel good about yourself....Aaah, i do love my brain sometimes. It can do wonders for the self esteem.

Point in action: today I walked to my lecture through lots of attractive sporty people (i go to a uni which has a sports/animal studies campus as well as a few others - i'm one of the animal-y people), with a huge spot on my lip (it's reached the stage where it would be insane not to pop it, it's that big). My point is, I felt pretty as a picture and my self esteem was up in the clouds, despite Bob the blob (yes, i named the spot) trying to leap off my face. Today, me and my brain were on very good terms.

apologies for the essay... that's just how I roll :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm positively magnetic! :nutcase:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I'm positively magnetic! :nutcase:
    *gets stuck to the wolfie*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.