Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

So, I'm IB1, and I'm trying to end this year with a minimum 38/42 average.

My subjects are:
    English A HL

Physics A HL

Chemistry A HL

Arabic A SL

Math SL

World Religions SL

I'm doing well in English, Math, World Religions and Arabic,, with an average of 81, 80, 91, and 83 respectively. I'm hoping to improve Math to a 7 because, let's be honest here, a 7 in Math SL is pretty easy.

Physics, however, whilst I consider to be 'OK', still makes me wonder why I can't turn that 6 into a 7.

Now we arrive to the Big Kahuna! Chemistry! The scourge of my existence! Weeks and weeks of pain and suffering have been spent at the hands of my Chemistry teacher. My overall average is a 5, with a very high five achieved at the midterm. I'm planning to get at least a 6 in this course.

My study plan involves me diverting most of my focus on Chemistry and Math. My main issue in Chemistry lies with my teacher, whom, in my opinion, is unable to get her point across to me, at least. Many students complain of her inability to explain things properly. I guess I don't respond well to her teaching methods. I'm going to try and follow up with everything day after day to make sure no bit of information, regardless of how small, escapes me.

Math, on the other hand, is bad primarily due to my very VERY silly mistakes. I think if I focus I can easily get a 7.

The rest I think I can handle properly.

So..onwards, I guess?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This post is to confirm that Saladlover's grades have been verified!
    :banana: :banana2: :banana:

ReputationRep:
    So we did a Chemistry and Math exam. I got an 11 AND 12/15 respectively. These were relatively simple quizzes, the big ones start Monday, with a Physics, Chemistry and Math exam all on the same day one after the other. I think I can do very well on Math, Physics, on the other hand, not so sure. We're taking HL material, and I'm having some trouble getting used to how dense it is, but I'm certain I can pull off a 6. We're taking hybridisation in Chemistry, however. Something which I'm not very keen on, considering how often our teacher forgets to mention things. I'm going to lock myself in my house on Sunday and sit down and finish Chemistry. Until then, Physics ahoy.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Heya,

Me again!

Here's the useful past papers & resources thread for IB.

(Original post by Saladlover)
    This is Saladlover's blog!
    (Original post by Kangie)
    x
    (Original post by FranzTC)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks puddles!

So anyways, we have a major Chemistry exam coming up covering all of the IB Bonding material. I've already done my crying beforehand, but I'm still feeling a bit teary.

I have absolutely no idea where to begin in some cases.

There are a few questions that I'm gonna try to ask my teacher again.

1) Can you have an H-bond with a dipole-dipole bond? Or is the only possible combination an H-bond with a London dispersion force? What about having dipole/dipole with dispersion? Or is London primarily for non-polar molecules? Does that mean that an H-bond is only non-polar?
    2) How does delocalisation work exactly? Is it only between 3 atoms of the same kind? What about NO2-?
    3) How can you determine whether or not a large molecule such as CH3CH2... etc is polar or not? Or should you memorise them based on whether they're alcohols, ethers or stuff?

I'm on the brink of my sanity. I managed to, god-knows how, get two 7's in our last two exams in Chemistry, however, from what I gather, they were small-fry and a 7 wasn't as tough as normal. So I'm deathly afraid that I might mess up in this exam and plummet my Chemistry grade to a 5 or god-knows what.

I'm deathly afraid of this one. I understand it all in THEORY, but in real life when we're given a Chemistry exam I always end up messing up terribly in some incredibly stupid ways. I'm quite superstitious for some very odd reason, and I always end up feeling that I'll get a 5 based on this strange feeling deep in my stomach. It's illogical, I know, but I can't help it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.