The Student Room Group

can't afford university

So my parents earn an amount of money which means I won't get given much from student finance - after my accommodation, assuming I get the cheapest one they offer, I'll have £15 a week to live on. This might just get me some food, but it certainly won't leave me any money for academic costs {textbooks, pens, paper, etc}. My parents got into a lot of debt when they were younger, so while they earn a good amount, they don't have any money to give me. I also don't hve a good relationship with my mum, so she's unwilling to support me {says that if I make the decision to move out to uni, then I'm on my own}.

How does student finance expect me to live on this? I know everyone says this, but I genuinely can't afford to go to university. SFE can't honestly expect people to be able to afford food and the necessary items to live and study on less than £15 a week?

I feel like my only choice is to withdraw my offers and not go. I'm studying physics, and have a lot of contact hours and suffer from very bad anxiety, so I feel like getting a job isn't really a possibility, although I will try if I can.. I just don't want to work really hard to get into uni, and then have to drop out because I don't have the money to do it.
Original post by katiecharc
So my parents earn an amount of money which means I won't get given much from student finance - after my accommodation, assuming I get the cheapest one they offer, I'll have £15 a week to live on. This might just get me some food, but it certainly won't leave me any money for academic costs {textbooks, pens, paper, etc}. My parents got into a lot of debt when they were younger, so while they earn a good amount, they don't have any money to give me. I also don't hve a good relationship with my mum, so she's unwilling to support me {says that if I make the decision to move out to uni, then I'm on my own}.

How does student finance expect me to live on this? I know everyone says this, but I genuinely can't afford to go to university. SFE can't honestly expect people to be able to afford food and the necessary items to live and study on less than £15 a week?

I feel like my only choice is to withdraw my offers and not go. I'm studying physics, and have a lot of contact hours and suffer from very bad anxiety, so I feel like getting a job isn't really a possibility, although I will try if I can.. I just don't want to work really hard to get into uni, and then have to drop out because I don't have the money to do it.

Do you have all of your offers already? If you do and you know which university you want to attend, what I suggest you make the university aware of your situation. A good place to start would be by contacting the disabilities advisor. I don't know if you've got a diagnosed condition but regardless, the worst case scenario is that they forward your issue to the relevant department. I can't give you a cast-iron guarantee that they'll be able to completely solve your problems but I don't think you've got anything to lose. In my experience, university disabilities advisers have been very helpful and they might be able to help you make university a possibility, possibly by finding out about some jobs that might be more accessible for you (possibly a summer job so you don't need to work during term time?). Regardless, please make sure you get into contact with them - if you've got an offer, it's in the university's own interest to help you access their course :smile:

Edit: Just realised this is the Ask Student Finance England forum, not sure if I'm supposed to be commenting. I'm sure they know a lot better than me so ignore me if they have any better info!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there.

Until you are classed as independent, i.e, over 25, married, have a child or are estranged from parents, we would need to look at parental income when assessing you for funding.

Your uni may have it's own sources of funding that it can offer and this would need to be discussed with them.

Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi there.

Until you are classed as independent, i.e, over 25, married, have a child or are estranged from parents, we would need to look at parental income when assessing you for funding.

Your uni may have it's own sources of funding that it can offer and this would need to be discussed with them.

Thanks.

But nothing is being "assessed". Student finance don't look at individual situations... my parents can prove their debt, but were still told that student finance can't do anything when they phoned up. I'm at the point where I'm having to consider withdrawing my application because of money issues... You assume that the (pre-taxed) income is what every parent has - when after tax, not a lot is left, and then you don't account for other costs which result in the parents not having money. Also, as an adult, I shouldn't have to be relying on parental income. And I don't buy the way it works until proper assessments are done for everyone.
Hi there.

We assess the gross income. It would not be fair to look at each and every out going from each individual household as these can greatly differ and these outgoings are mainly by the choice of the sponsor themselves.

Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi there.

We assess the gross income. It would not be fair to look at each and every out going from each individual household as these can greatly differ and these outgoings are mainly by the choice of the sponsor themselves.

Thanks.

But what's it to do with my parents? My education shouldn't have to depend on how much money my parents earn, nor what they do with it. It's not my fault that my parents were irresponsible with money over twenty years ago and now have so much debt they have no money to give me. I'm now having to contemplate not going because I can't afford it.

So much for making university accessible to all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there.

They're your legal guardians, and you are financially dependent on them. The fees we award are not based on income so these will be awarded in full regardless. If you require additional funding then as stated we can only suggest you speak with the uni or even take up a part-time job.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending