Has the EU brought about peace, or is peace in most of Europe a coincidence? Watch

Poll: Has the EU brought about peace?
Yes, the EU ensures peace in Europe (3)
42.86%
No, any peace is coincidental, and there still isn't peace. (4)
57.14%
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Proponents declare the EU as the bringer of peace but with global violence falling, and wars less frequent everywhere, has the EU actually done anything spectacular or is peace in Europe part of the wider general trend?
Spandy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
Proponents declare the EU as the bringer of peace but with global violence falling, and wars less frequent everywhere, has the EU actually done anything spectacular or is peace in Europe part of the wider general trend?
[OOC] No, and I don't think that an explanation will be actually necesarry
Fernand126
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Austria would like to express their belief that the EU does contribute to continental peace, indeed, as does any well run form of political unity. The work done by our German colleagues is marvelous and assures peace in very wide levels.

[OOC] I don't actually believe this, though. But Austria does, so don't get me wrong!
username1524603
Rep:
?
Out of interest, would the person who voted yes provide a brief explanation of why the EU does bring peace?
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Madagascar does not believe that the EU contributes significantly to peace. Similarly, if there were to hypothetically be a similar union of African nations, we do not believe that this would make a contribution to bringing peace in nations currently at war.
Fernand126
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
Out of interest, would the person who voted yes provide a brief explanation of why the EU does bring peace?
[OOC] It was me, and I posted above. Because Austria wants Germany to be pleased. :P
thirdcultureteen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
France supports the idea that the EU has brought peace to Europe, and would like to point out that even if it is not the sole factor of peace, it is a major one. Political unity, as mentioned above by Austria, has aided the EU in achieving peace.

[OOC] If I said anything wrong, please point it out! New to MUN in general, so still getting on my feet. :P

But personally, I don't believe the EU brought peace to Europe. While it may be a factor, it kind of forced peace onto Europe. The countries have to be careful about their relations with one another because they rely on each other for the EU to be successful.
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Botswana believes peace in the EU is coincidental, due to the lack of fascism in Europe, (excluding Putin), with with full conventional wars not reaping much benefits for an aggressor. The Ukraine civil war is an example of the EU's inability to stop a war. Their sanctions (and the US) on Russia are only escalating the war.
serebro
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Germany believes the EU has altered the way the world sees Europe, and for the better. The EU being a collective organisation gives our smaller nations a say in how we work, and enables us to establish common humanitarian values. Germany with the EU has done a lot to assist Africa and the Middle East, without resorting to direct conflict unlike other nations. It is a progressive ethic that should be echoed elsewhere.
username1524603
Rep:
?
(Original post by serebro)
Germany believes the EU has altered the way the world sees Europe, and for the better. The EU being a collective organisation gives our smaller nations a say in how we work, and enables us to establish common humanitarian values. Germany with the EU has done a lot to assist Africa and the Middle East, without resorting to direct conflict unlike other nations. It is a progressive ethic that should be echoed elsewhere.
Russia questions how much of say smaller EU states have. Smaller EU states see their MEP's outvoted in the European Parliament to a point where they can be considered worthless, and whatever Germany or France says the smaller states must obey.
Spandy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
FEDERATIVE REP. OFBRAZIL would congratulate the EU on an excellent work, it reinforcesour mutual commitments to each other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (135)
60.81%
No (87)
39.19%

Watched Threads