Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by justfurry)
Does Xenon even know who I am?

Who's Kuz?
Lol, I know who you are now. . Kuz is a lovely gal. Arsenal supporter.
* jenfahh *
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey!
just wondering what ppls views are on women playin the sport
Straggler
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't see what there is to discuss really. We live in what is supposed to be an equal sex society, so why not?

I do feel there is not enough to promote the women's game, and I personally would love to see some more exposure (no pun intended!).

Why not share with us, your views?
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They're rubbish imo
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jj2k6)
hey!
just wondering what ppls views are on women playin the sport
I think I should play against my Texan friend who won some state competition in the sport. She's a goalkeeper so I'll be testing her since I'm a forward. :p: Damn, she's hot too. :cool:
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I started a discussion some time ago about it here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=310990
SFC_FOREVER!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
They're rubbish imo
Exactly. People will harp on about "equal rights" blah blah, but you just can't ignore the fact that Women are actually **** at football, and therefore should not, under ANY circumstances, be allowed to play it.
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SFC_FOREVER!)
Exactly. People will harp on about "equal rights" blah blah, but you just can't ignore the fact that Women are actually **** at football, and therefore should not, under ANY circumstances, be allowed to play it.
Have you ever seen a pro women's football game? Do yourself a favour - go watch the Arsenal women playing and see if you can honestly say that they're "**** at football"

(Original post by Ginger Tom)
I do feel there is not enough to promote the women's game
Agreed...Euro 2005 was a good bit of publicity for it, but aside from that there's not a lot of coverage at all. You get cup finals now and then, but they're never advertised, they're never hyped up and I think many people go on without even knowing that there was a football match on TV. Watch the adverts and you'd eventually see an advert for any upcoming Champion's League or UEFA Cup match for the men's side (even if it's going to be utterly crap), but the women's game still goes on pretty unnoticed...and that's a real shame, because women's matches can be very impressive.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I get really annoyed when some guys make sexist comments like oh women aren't good enough playing football they should be in the kitchen, personally that is the biggest load of **** ever. Women are good enough to play football, and have every right to play football regardless of ability.

There is not enough done to promote the women's game.
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm going to echo economists opinion, sorry girls (and boys). They're not willing to tackle the opposition, the games don't have pace, just devoid of that entertainment factor. Please don't call me sexist. I'm not willing to be politically correct for the sheer sake of it, i just find womens football tedious to watch.
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carl1982)
I get really annoyed when some guys make sexist comments like oh women aren't good enough playing football they should be in the kitchen, personally that is the biggest load of **** ever. Women are good enough to play football, and have every right to play football regardless of ability.

There is not enough done to promote the women's game.
there's only so much promotion one can do - it's up to demand at the end of the day, and for one reason or another, it doesn't appeal that greatly.
jameso88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its not sexist but women will never be as good as their male counterparts at football. Men are naturally faster and stronger its fact which means the game will be played at a higher level. I've watched the women's FA cup final twice and i have fallen asleep twice, i really don't think you can argue that the levels are anywhere near the same. The only player who i've seen who was half decent was Yankee i think her name was and she was okay, but i wouldn't say she was any better than a conference player.
jameso88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Forgot to add i don't agree with the person saying women shouldn't be allowed to play football, i think they should but its just nowhere near the same standard as the male equivalent.
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by white_haired_wizard)
They're not willing to tackle the opposition
Yes they are...they may not go in for stupid bone-crunching two-footed tackles every other minute, but they still challenge for the bloody ball.

the games don't have pace
Games don't need to be played at a fast pace to be entertaining

Please don't call me sexist
Not at all. Unlike the rest of the idiots opposed to women playing the game, your arguments were about the way in which the sport is played, not the players of the game

(Original post by jameso88)
Its not sexist but women will never be as good as their male counterparts at football
Two words for that (and the rest of your post, for that matter): Bull ****
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dalimyr)
Yes they are...they may not go in for stupid bone-crunching two-footed tackles every other minute, but they still challenge for the bloody ball.

Games don't need to be played at a fast pace to be entertaining

Not at all. Unlike the rest of the idiots opposed to women playing the game, your arguments were about the way in which the sport is played, not the players of the game

I'll make some further points. Pace is crucial IMO, for a game to be entertaining. Women's football lacks this most important ingredient, and there is a genuine lack of spark, tackles flying in and so forth. And let's face it, you do get some horrific standard of football played by professional players in the football league (mens football that is), i.e. some of the league two football i've watched during my lifetime has been appalling and there has been the odd time i've fallen asleep, so sometimes elite womens football is better than mens league football, but that eventuality would be quite an anomalous experience, but nevertheless it does happen.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's rubbish and boring. Passing is so tentative, no flow what so ever. The worst thing is the goal keeping, they get beaten from everywhere by random shots
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dalimyr)
Would you use the same response if it was swimming and the comments was made regarding black swimmers being poorer than white ones? Just I've never been a fan of the PC brigade but I am happy to accept that many women are better than men (usually badminton and tennis from what I have noticed). This is not to say that women will never be as good as men but if men, or any other grouping you wish to define, has the abilities to outperform other groups at a sport and there are scientific reasons for this, I do not think we can deny this. Besides, and I am overgeneralising here but overall I think it's true, the Chinese are good table tennis players, blacks are better sprinters than whites, Africans are better than Europeans at long distance running, the English own all when it comes to darts, and Venus Williams is better than Andy Murray at tennis.

In a way I'd like to see non-contact sports merge women's and men's games like tennis and golf (properly).
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Would you use the same response if it was swimming and the comments was made regarding black swimmers being poorer than white ones? Just I've never been a fan of the PC brigade but I am happy to accept that many women are better than men (usually badminton and tennis from what I have noticed). This is not to say that women will never be as good as men but if men, or any other grouping you wish to define, has the abilities to outperform other groups at a sport and there are scientific reasons for this, I do not think we can deny this. Besides, and I am overgeneralising here but overall I think it's true, the Chinese are good table tennis players, blacks are better sprinters than whites, Africans are better than Europeans at long distance running, the English own all when it comes to darts, and Venus Williams is better than Andy Murray at tennis.

In a way I'd like to see non-contact sports merge women's and men's games like tennis and golf (properly).
Many women are not better than men in tennis or badminton. Id easily fancy any top 300 player to dispose of the top womens tennis players without any trouble. No womens player would be anywhere near the top 100.

It's crazy to think about merging tennis or golf tours. Anybody who thinks this is a bloody idiot if they think its beneficial for women because I can guarantee it would be the end of women in sport.

I would love a man to go over and play in the womens tour on golf and basicly just own it, that would shut the ***** up
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
It's crazy to think about merging tennis or golf tours. Anybody who thinks this is a bloody idiot if they think its beneficial for women because I can guarantee it would be the end of women in sport.
The only reason I thought of merging them is that women complain about inequality so there's their chance. Plus, it reminded me of Andy Murray's comments regarding prize funding. Merge them and that argument is gone. The only reason why women and men should be split is because of contact, and if it's a non-contact sport then there's no problem (they do mixed doubles in tennis) etc. I don't think it would be beneficial for women though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (124)
20.13%
Labour (308)
50%
Liberal Democrats (83)
13.47%
Green Party (30)
4.87%
Brexit Party (7)
1.14%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.49%
SNP (13)
2.11%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.49%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.97%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)