The Student Room Group

History sources help

Hi guys!
I'm currently studying history at AS level. I got an A in GCSE history and throughout then never came across the word 'Provinence'. Now my A-level history teacher keeps going about this saying we have to talk about Provinence when answering source based questions. I've asked her so many times and still I still don't understand what she is talking about.

could somebody please explain to me what Provinence is and how I can apply to a source based question?

Thankyou.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Provenance is basically the little description that's always underneath the source - who wrote it, when, where it comes from etc. If you're doing edexcel like me, you only need to analyse it in part (a) answer. Just talk about if it can be trusted, how reliable it is and if it's biased. And also, use it to put things into context. Oh, and my teacher keeps on telling us that the same provenance can change depending on how the source is used(for what themes/arguments) so you can analyse the same provenance twice in an essay. Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending