Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Growing My Grades

Ever since I started Sixth Form I have had been having a tough time, too be fair there is that step up from GCSE to A level which I'm aware of. I think what I need is some motivation and all from you guys since at school it I don't exactly get that much.
    I don't want to ramble on about this but in the summer I was diagnosed with Depression. I talk to my GP He has told me that the only way to treat it is going have to be with me talking how I feel. Being depressed has stopped me from doing the work I need to do on many occasions, putting me behind on coursework and exam preparation.
    But in hopes of being able to do well in my exams and not fail I will need the help of you guys, I will try to blog regularly about how revision is going and what is happening.
    My GCSE Grades:
    2A's , 3B's and 4C's
    My Targets:

My targets for this year is to (as everyone would say) do my best. I'm not sure on what course I want to do which puts me in a bad position if I let the tide push me. The subjects that I'm doing at A levels is:
    Maths OCR
    Chemistry AQA
    Product Design AQA
    Media AQA
    For Maths I want to get a B grade and if I'm lucky an A would be nice. I also want a similar sort of grade in Chemistry, a B/A would be good. For Media and Product Design I would just want to try and get a B in both of those. According to everyone they're the most easiest subjects, which I can see but having to spend some time on them has been quite troublesome. Especially for coursework, in lessons I'm always been told to hurry up when doing coursework in class.

But to conclude all of this, I'm planning on doing this to start building up the confidence I need at school and at home. If I can do that, then I'm sure that I can do anything

ReputationRep:
    Just to update, I've almost finished my mock exams for my subjects. C2 really knocked me down to be honest, but to be fair I should of prepared myself more on that. My Media and Product Design exams weren't too bad, but to be honest my product design teacher is focusing more on the coursework than the exam. I mean for both courses it 50/50, and the exam doesn't seem too difficult. I just need to spend some time doing coursework more so I'm all up to date and ready for my exams in June.
    Edit:
    I remember leaving my product design exam and hearing a convosation go
    "How did the exam go?"
    "Ah don't ask me ask (My Name) he's definately going to get and A for sure!" *Sarcasm*
    "I'm pretty sure he can't even see the questions because of his hair"
    *Both Laugh and carry on walking*
    I know that they were only joking but I thought that was harsh. To be honest my hair does go over one of my eyes and I do move it out of the way of site, sometimes I don't bother after the few million times. Haven't got round to having a haircut but I don't want people to think I'm "Scene" or anything, to be honest I don't even like those people who are. I swear most of them are just tumblr girls aswell. But I feel like I can't exactly stop them from saying that I'm a ******* or make fun of my hair, I guess I could for my hair but then most people would go for insults that don't involve my hair. I told my head of year that this has been happening and he told them to stop, but now nobody talks to me whatsoever. That felt really depressing but school is for education so I shouldn't aim on having as many friends as possible.

Anyway the chemistry mock was harsh, trying to rewrite its working to sound complex. They also added a little bit of unit 2 in the unit 1 paper which seemed strange. I think the grade I'm going to get in chemistry is a C since some of the questions were difficult and somewhat strange. I think I might need to spend some time doing some revision on it after my mocks, it's an easy exam so I want to get the best grade possible in it.

C1 went okay, I think it was just one question that got me which was circles. I know that circles isn't too difficult but I never seen the sort of question that was on the paper. I remember one being "show how the circle is below the x axis" I had no idea how I could show that but I just wrote down the centre and explained that the y coordinate is below 0 so the centre is below the x axis but that was all i did, it was three marks aswell. I'll be lucky if I get a B in that paper. Since my stats paper is on Friday I want to do the best I can for it so I can pull those grades up. The topics aren't too difficult but I've seen some exam papers online and there are a few that try to catch you out. I revised for the whole of the night yesterday and did some work on Correlation, Varience, Mean, Perms and Combs, Expectation and Standard Deviation. This morning I just woke up and I'm going to try to Regression and the whole of the probability distribution page before starting any test papers. But to be honest I feel like I'm overworking and what If I don't get anything out of it, I would of wasted my time. That would be annoying, but I hope that it won't be the case

ReputationRep:
    Finished my Stats exam and I didn't do so well in them. I overworked for the exam, I spent the whole of Wednesday night doing revision for it and stopped at 5am to sleep. I then did some more revision at 11am until 3pm where I stopped doing revision to have a longer break than the breaks I had when revising. I finished the day off by then doing two hours of revision before going to bed early do I would be ready for the exam. I messed myself over on that test and now I think for Maths as a whole I might be lucky if I even get a D grade.

I don't know if I actually worked too much or not, all together its around 11 hours in the space of two days.

Enough weining, lessoned learned: Last minute revision isn't supposed to be so much.

The thing that I keep thinking about is that I wasted all of that time revising and I didn't get much out of it. I can't exactly use it as an excuse, I mean nobody would believe me if I did that. It's annoying, I tried to make things seem better, but I only made things feel worse because of it. I wish sometimes that I was in college with my old friends, at least nobody would think I'm a idiot. It's confusing, I know this sort of thing happens at school but at home it feels the same. I never catch a break. And when I'm not at home or school, I feel like I'm only proving there point since I'm enjoying myself. There's always an arguement going on in my head and everytime I do something or try to get a point across no matter how simpliestic the objective is. And everytime there's an arguement with my mum I always end up sound like a crazy person, but I wouldn't be actually crazy if I'm concerned about it.

I think today I should think about doing nothing, try to relax and I'll talk to my counsellor tomorrow morning.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Fruitbasket786)
    Finished my Stats exam and I didn't do so well in them. I overworked for the exam, I spent the whole of Wednesday night doing revision for it and stopped at 5am to sleep. I then did some more revision at 11am until 3pm where I stopped doing revision to have a longer break than the breaks I had when revising. I finished the day off by then doing two hours of revision before going to bed early do I would be ready for the exam. I messed myself over on that test and now I think for Maths as a whole I might be lucky if I even get a D grade.

I don't know if I actually worked too much or not, all together its around 11 hours in the space of two days.

Enough weining, lessoned learned: Last minute revision isn't supposed to be so much.

The thing that I keep thinking about is that I wasted all of that time revising and I didn't get much out of it. I can't exactly use it as an excuse, I mean nobody would believe me if I did that. It's annoying, I tried to make things seem better, but I only made things feel worse because of it. I wish sometimes that I was in college with my old friends, at least nobody would think I'm a idiot. It's confusing, I know this sort of thing happens at school but at home it feels the same. I never catch a break. And when I'm not at home or school, I feel like I'm only proving there point since I'm enjoying myself. There's always an arguement going on in my head and everytime I do something or try to get a point across no matter how simpliestic the objective is. And everytime there's an arguement with my mum I always end up sound like a crazy person, but I wouldn't be actually crazy if I'm concerned about it.

I think today I should think about doing nothing, try to relax and I'll talk to my counsellor tomorrow morning.
    Heya, thought I'd check in and see how everything is going for you How have the past couple of weeks been?

ReputationRep:
    Feburary 29th:
    My mocks weren't the best, U in Media, U in tech, D in chem and D in maths. The two U grades were from not doing coursework so my teacher thought it would be realistic to combine them.
    Now (16th March):
    Coursework still hasn't been done, I've almost done my Media coursework (aiming to finish it all on Wednesday, just editting the film and evaluating it). I'm keeping up with Tech and alongside with adding some stuff onto it. Maths and Chem hasn't changed that much. Did my ISA today and I think I got some measurement errors where I heated my carbonate but the mass wasn't reducing so I might of messed up. But I did follow the instructions in the practical. Got my Exam for it tomorrow and doing it now
    I just need to do some maths homework for tomorrow (C2 practice paper) and I'm just trying to sort overdue homework from yesterday.
    Future:
    If all goes bad, resits there are I suppose?

ReputationRep:
    12th April:
    Second ISA went better, so I suppose things may turn around for me. But I guess I'll get the answer for that once I get back from Easter break. Revision is getting better (waking up early to finish things off so I have more time to do other things). Maths is getting alot better, I got 75% in my C1 and C2 practice papers at school which is looking great. Definately can be better because of rediculous mistakes I've been making. Apart from that Maths is getting better. Coursework for Media is actually finished which is a relief. Not saying I don't like the subject itself, but I think that it could of been alot more enjoyable if I did it earlier on in the year.
    Plan for tomorrow:
    Get some photo and typed up text boxes for my Product Design coursework so that I can get as much marks as possible for Monday, the quicker it's finished the more time I have revising for my Product Design Exam. Although to be honest it isn't that difficult but I'd say it's best to be safe than not revise at all for it. Otherwise I would be stuffed! LET TOMORROW COMMENCE!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.