Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My Dad is really concerned about the distance to the uni (I live in North East England) and is being generally pessimistic about the whole thing. I'm sitting on an offer for Geology at the Penryn campus and I really love the look of the course, and would really like to go, but my Dad has a number of "concerns", all stemming from the cost of travel in order to move my stuff back and forth from home, provided I couldn't find an affordable way of storing it between terms. He would have to book a day off of work and a hotel room once down here and he's worried about the costs adding up over the year. If anyone can bring to my attention if the campus has an area I could keep my stuff , or cheap places local I could use this would literally solve every problem as I could just get the train back and forth by myself.

Sorry for the paragraph, but it'd be rubbish if I couldn't go to an awesome place for something as trivial as this. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crooks97)
    My Dad is really concerned about the distance to the uni (I live in North East England) and is being generally pessimistic about the whole thing. I'm sitting on an offer for Geology at the Penryn campus and I really love the look of the course, and would really like to go, but my Dad has a number of "concerns", all stemming from the cost of travel in order to move my stuff back and forth from home, provided I couldn't find an affordable way of storing it between terms. He would have to book a day off of work and a hotel room once down here and he's worried about the costs adding up over the year. If anyone can bring to my attention if the campus has an area I could keep my stuff , or cheap places local I could use this would literally solve every problem as I could just get the train back and forth by myself.

Sorry for the paragraph, but it'd be rubbish if I couldn't go to an awesome place for something as trivial as this. Thanks
    Ok, this is just going to be a bit of a list and the order may be a bit random, but stick with it!

1) Almost all University accommodation (and all private landlords once you move into 2nd year) will have a contract which covers the Christmas and Easter breaks. So the only time you will have to empty out your room is at the end of the academic year. This means that when you go home for the holidays there is no need to take a car full of stuff, it's easily possible to pack sensibly enough to go home by the train or in your case an aeroplane (just a random guess, but I'm assuming Newcastle airport would be your nearest option).

2) The distance is likely something which could be done in a day, therefore avoiding the need for a hotel. I know a couple of people who lived in Bristol but went to Edinburgh University and when it came to packing up and going home one of their parents did the trip, Bristol to Edinburgh and back in a single day without any problems at all.

3) If he does feel that it's necessary to do it over two days then a hotel will be cheap as chips. Term dates are set in stone so you can decide what dates you'd be moving months in advance, allowing him to get a hotel room very early and pick one up for very little money.

4) At the end of the day it's your future, and you have to pick a University that you like and with a course that you know you will enjoy. If that means your folks have to endure a small cost related to that for three years then that's not the end of the world. If it's that big a deal then get yourself a summer job and pay them back, but quite frankly if they're not prepared to suffer a small cost in order to allow you to go to the right University for you then they're pretty bloody selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Ok, this is just going to be a bit of a list and the order may be a bit random, but stick with it!

1) Almost all University accommodation (and all private landlords once you move into 2nd year) will have a contract which covers the Christmas and Easter breaks. So the only time you will have to empty out your room is at the end of the academic year. This means that when you go home for the holidays there is no need to take a car full of stuff, it's easily possible to pack sensibly enough to go home by the train or in your case an aeroplane (just a random guess, but I'm assuming Newcastle airport would be your nearest option).

2) The distance is likely something which could be done in a day, therefore avoiding the need for a hotel. I know a couple of people who lived in Bristol but went to Edinburgh University and when it came to packing up and going home one of their parents did the trip, Bristol to Edinburgh and back in a single day without any problems at all.

3) If he does feel that it's necessary to do it over two days then a hotel will be cheap as chips. Term dates are set in stone so you can decide what dates you'd be moving months in advance, allowing him to get a hotel room very early and pick one up for very little money.

4) At the end of the day it's your future, and you have to pick a University that you like and with a course that you know you will enjoy. If that means your folks have to endure a small cost related to that for three years then that's not the end of the world. If it's that big a deal then get yourself a summer job and pay them back, but quite frankly if they're not prepared to suffer a small cost in order to allow you to go to the right University for you then they're pretty bloody selfish.
    Thanks a lot mate, really needed this. Told him and it's changed his opinion of the place. He's just cheap as hell tbh haha

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot mate, really needed this. Told him and it's changed his opinion of the place. He's just cheap as hell tbh haha
    I'm pretty sure there's a £500 travel bursary for all students too. I saw a discussion about it on the Penryn thread I think

ReputationRep:

I'm so happy I'm not the only one with this issue. I love the look of the penryn campus and I have an offer for it but my parents aren't too happy with the distance either and mostly for the same reasons. It's nice to be able to give them some reassurance about it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.