Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

We are just in the process of applying for our son for finance. I am airline cabin crew and part of my income is expenses through work for food etc when away from the uk. Will they deduct that from my 'gross' amount that shows on my p60 for last year. I read somewhere that they deduct employment expenses when they are looking at your household income along with pension contributions.?? Many thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

There will be a section called "allowable expenses on which you claim tax relief" in the application form where you can input the specific figure which is then deducted from your income.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mark

I have also phoned them and unfortunately they don't take my allowances off of my household income.

The other thing is (I'm amazed and how quick it was) my son has had his finance approved though I'm a bit confused as its a conflicting amount for the maintenance loan. On the front page of his student finance account is says he has been approved for the tuition fees of 9000 and for the maintenance fees of 3800 approx (which I believe is the basic amount). However when you click on payment details is lists the higher amount that we applied for (means tested). So does that mean he will get the higher amount?? It says processing in the column. There is also a letter which I believe he will get in the post shortly stating what he is entitled to and that also lists the higher amount ( nearly 5000 I think). It seems extremly quick as only filled in the household income forms yesterday. If so, I'm very impressed!!! Thanks.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.