The Student Room Group

Offer for law :/

I'm an international student and have an offer from Bristol for law. Although still waiting for decision from my 2 choices. Being an international student, my father does not allow me to go forward with this because there's no certainty of me getting a job after the course in the UK or getting a PR later as immigration laws are strict. How do I convince him for the same?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an international student and have an offer from Bristol for law. Although still waiting for decision from my 2 choices. Being an international student, my father does not allow me to go forward with this because there's no certainty of me getting a job after the course in the UK or getting a PR later as immigration laws are strict. How do I convince him for the same?

First of all, congratulations on your offer! :smile: I'm an international student studying law at Bristol, and my parents had similar concerns over the process of my application. Your dad is right about the possibility of not getting a job here (although you have no less chance than UK students if you do well in your course), so you ought to have a Plan B in case things don't work out. Mine is going back to my country of origin and taking the conversion course to qualify as a lawyer there. Also, many foreign law graduates work as a consultant for international firms in my country, so I don't even have to do the conversion course. Maybe look into those possibilities and present a solid Plan B to your dad? Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Besides, a law degree is incredibly versatile in terms of job prospects. You don't have to restrict yourself to the legal sector; finance and education are two other areas worth looking into.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ratach
First of all, congratulations on your offer! :smile: I'm an international student studying law at Bristol, and my parents had similar concerns over the process of my application. Your dad is right about the possibility of not getting a job here (although you have no less chance than UK students if you do well in your course), so you ought to have a Plan B in case things don't work out. Mine is going back to my country of origin and taking the conversion course to qualify as a lawyer there. Also, many foreign law graduates can work as a consultant for international firms in my country, so I don't even have to do the conversion course. Maybe look into those possibilities and present a solid Plan B to your dad? Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

My dad says what's the point of spending so much if we have to return to the home country.
I'm from India btw :smile:
My dad says what's the point of spending so much if we have to return to the home country.
I'm from India btw :smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Indian legal system based on common law? If yes, you don't even have to go through the hassle of cross-qualifying like I do. Perhaps you may bring up the opportunities Bristol will offer compared to your local university, assuming a UK degree is more highly valued than an Indian degree there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ratach
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Indian legal system based on common law? If yes, you don't even have to go through the hassle of cross-qualifying like I do. Perhaps you may bring up the opportunities Bristol may offer compared to your local university, assuming a UK degree is more highly valued than an Indian degree there.

The thing is if I do study at Bristol and don't get a job, I wouldn't be able to give the Judges exam which requires me to do 5 year law or 3 year degree then 3 year law when I return.
The thing is if I do study at Bristol and don't get a job, I wouldn't be able to give the Judges exam which requires me to do 5 year law or 3 year degree then 3 year law when I return.

In that case, it depends on how determined you are to take such a risk. Hopefully upon seeing your determination, your father will feel more confident that spending that money on your education is worth it. Your goal here is to assure your father that his money isn't going down the drain and will reward you with a bright future in the end. Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Ratach
In that case, it depends on how determined you are to take such a risk. Hopefully upon seeing your determination, your father will feel more confident that spending that money on your education is worth it. Your goal here is to assure your father that his money isn't going down the drain and will reward you with a bright future in the end. Good luck :smile:

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest