Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Paradox of IB and target unis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If all the banks really care about is the reputation of the Uni then why would you only set your heart on economics at a target when you could do a much less competitive course like finance etc and still have a great shout at IB??

Not sure why people don't just go to oxford to do a non competitive degree instead of breaking their backs to get on an Econ course when really all that matters is the uni not the course

Hope I don't sound too ignorant by asking this but oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also say you were at LSE/Oxford/Warwick/UCL and doing something like geography or French or statistics (ie something not completely related to banking) would you be able to break into IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    Also say you were at LSE/Oxford/Warwick/UCL and doing something like geography or French or statistics (ie something not completely related to banking) would you be able to break into IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

I know a trader at Goldman that did History at Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes.

I know a trader at Goldman that did History at Leeds.
    How did he do that??

Did he know someone there or just applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How did he do that??

Did he know someone there or just applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dunno, he was really involved with societies and had some work experience - the target school thing isn't always the be all and end all.

He just applied.

ReputationRep:
    But nowadays there are like 50 bright people at Oxbridge etc doing maths/Econ applying for every vacancy it seems :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    But nowadays there are like 50 bright people at Oxbridge etc doing maths/Econ applying for every vacancy it seems :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dude, that guy joined last year..

ReputationRep:
    A degree is about what you enjoy and find interesting, not just getting into Banking. Is it a crime to enjoy Economics?

ReputationRep:
    If all the banks really care about is the reputation of the Uni then why would you only set your heart on economics at a target when you could do a much less competitive course like finance etc and still have a great shout at IB??

Not sure why people don't just go to oxford to do a non competitive degree instead of breaking their backs to get on an Econ course when really all that matters is the uni not the course

Hope I don't sound too ignorant by asking this but oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People do do that.

e.g. everyone studying Land Economy at Cambridge

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to a target uni and the answer is yes.Having been on the exec of my uni's finance society, I know that the big banks are always trying to increase their diversity and actually trying to recruit less people from the common degrees such as econ/finance/maths, and more from other degrees.

When I was at uni I met a number of people at my uni who did "atypical" subject such as history, geography and chemistry and went into banking. Of course if you do an atypical subject, be prepared for interview questions such as "why do you want to be banker and not a historian?"

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.