Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very lonely and depressed Gap Year watch

I dropped out of uni last semester so I've been at home for over a month now, just me and my mother and father.
    I've applied for university this coming year which I'm really looking forward to but I wanted to do lots of volunteering this year. So I needed a job, I quit mine at the farm shop looking for something new. I started off optimitistic applying for loads and I got an interview at one really quickly.
    However I haven't got anything back from them or my UCAS application hasn't changed for almost 2 weeks.
    I'm starting to lose momentum on the job front.
    Then it comes to my loneliness, I live in a fairly dull part of England (south east) where everything that I want is so hard to get to. I literally haven't spoken to someone my age for over a month and I am kind of drying up.

I feel like retirement has started early for me, I've really got into gardening, listening to the archers and other daytime radio 4 programs. I also listen to bluegrass and spend my days watching take me out. I want to join some clubs, but all the clubs round here are either for 16 and under or 60 and over. Anyone have any ideas to meet some people my age (I'm not a jock lad type so I will avoid playing fields at all cost or the nearby tac fest of night club).

ReputationRep:
    If you're enjoying the gardening. Take a look at The Conservation Volunteers. Its for people of all ages, I used to go to my local one before I got a job. Looks good on your reference, they offer courses etc which looks good on UCAS too. Its outdoors. No guarantee of there being young people, but it'd be worth a try in my opinion.

(Original post by dhr90)
    If you're enjoying the gardening. Take a look at The Conservation Volunteers. Its for people of all ages, I used to go to my local one before I got a job. Looks good on your reference, they offer courses etc which looks good on UCAS too. Its outdoors. No guarantee of there being young people, but it'd be worth a try in my opinion.
    I used to go to the kent wildlife trust but it's too far i can't ask my father to drive me out there. There are no other conservation groups nearby. I'm actually applied to a conservation degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I used to go to the kent wildlife trust but it's too far i can't ask my father to drive me out there. There are no other conservation groups nearby. I'm actually applied to a conservation degree
    Try and make a routine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    National Trust? Forestry Council? Even your local council might have something. Also look at gardening companies etc. If you're willing to do the work for free in exchange for a chance to learn, experience and a reference, then many of them will likely be glad to give you a lift if its not far out of their way.

ReputationRep:
    couldn't relate more ahahaha- my gap year is boring as ****

ReputationRep:
    Are there any youth group you could volunteer with? BB's, cadets, scouts etc? Many of them are desperate for volunteers, and depending on what's on in your area there may be the chance to complete leadership qualifications or to join the section for your age group.

ReputationRep:
    Just hang in there we are over half way there now and this part of the year will go quicker as exams will be upon us soon. Mine is boring too but I have got an offer from my top 2 unis and just going to uni has motivated me

It was a poor decision to quit the farm shop before having a new job lined up but not much you can change noe

I originally had a 10 hour a week job cIeaning. It took me 5 weeks to nail down another part time job. A month later I got another with more hours.I balanced all 3 job til christmas and quit the second one before christmas. I now have one 10 hour job and another 16 hour one. However with overtime at the 16 hour one, I average 40-50 hours un total. It's boring at home on a gap year, not much can change that. Your priority should be getting a job. I know it's difficult, but it helps a lot. You're not as bored and you make friends at work and you can save money.

Also make effort with your friends who are at uni. Go visit them and if you're not keen on night clubs, just get drunk with them, you'll still have fun. If not, give them a message and just speak to them. You'll feel more positive. Any people that are still at home, make more effort with too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.